Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

snoluver1

PB151276.jpg PB151275.jpg PB151277.jpg

So I have been working with John on an idea I have to donate my 1976 Ski-doo TNT 340 fan, for the Make-A-Wish cause. It is currently in pretty rough shape and not worth a whole lot. I'm hoping that with some help from fellow JD members, advertisers and vendors, we can restore this sled to its former glory, and then auction it off at the ride-in. 100% of the proceeds would go to Make-A-wish. John will be sending me the appropriate paper work from Make-A-Wish to make it all legit.

At this stage I am just trying to put a feeler out there to see if there is enough public interest/participation to make this project come together. Unfortunately I can not take on the entire project alone. It would require the generosity of others to become a reality.

So here's the deal: I will be donating the sled, and my time and labor to do a complete ground up restoration. (I am a professional mechanic)What I'm hoping to get is some vendors/businesses to donate parts for the project. Also any individuals who happen to have salvageable parts laying around in the barn or what ever. If people were interested in making a monetary donation, we could probably set up a pay-pal account or something. (I'm new to all this. Trying to learn as I go)

I will take the sled down to the bare frame and recondition or replace every part that I can. There would be a thread on the board to which I will post pictures and text as the project progresses. Any businesses that decide to donate would get a mention with a link to the company's website in the thread. (and obviously a tax deduction)

My ultimate goal will be to have the sled done for this years ride-in date. I realize that with only a little over 2 months to go, this goal may be a little optimistic. It would all depend on the level of participation and turn around time on parts and machine work, etc. If the sled were not complete by the dead line, we could simply auction it off separately when it is done, or save it for next years ride-in.

So there it is in a nut shell, what do you all think? Is it doable? Any salvage yards out there willing to donate? Dennis Kirk? Where's Dennis? Anybody seen Dennis?? :D

Last edited:

polarisrider1

View attachment 26480 View attachment 26479 View attachment 26478

So I have been working with John on an idea I have to donate my 1975 Ski-doo TNT 340 fan, for the Make-A-Wish cause. It is currently in pretty rough shape and not worth a whole lot. I'm hoping that with some help from fellow JD members, advertisers and vendors, we can restore this sled to its former glory, and then auction it off at the ride-in. 100% of the proceeds would go to Make-A-wish. John will be sending me the appropriate paper work from Make-A-Wish to make it all legit.

At this stage I am just trying to put a feeler out there to see if there is enough public interest/participation to make this project come together. Unfortunately I can not take on the entire project alone. It would require the generosity of others to become a reality.

So here's the deal: I will be donating the sled, and my time and labor to do a complete ground up restoration. (I am a professional mechanic)What I'm hoping to get is some vendors/businesses to donate parts for the project. Also any individuals who happen to have salvageable parts laying around in the barn or what ever. If people were interested in making a monetary donation, we could probably set up a pay-pal account or something. (I'm new to all this. Trying to learn as I go)

I will take the sled down to the bare frame and recondition or replace every part that I can. There would be a thread on the board to which I will post pictures and text as the project progresses. Any businesses that decide to donate would get a mention with a link to the company's website in the thread. (and obviously a tax deduction)

My ultimate goal will be to have the sled done for this years ride-in date. I realize that with only a little over 2 months to go, this goal may be a little optimistic. It would all depend on the level of participation and turn around time on parts and machine work, etc. If the sled were not complete by the dead line, we could simply auction it off separately when it is done, or save it for next years ride-in.

So there it is in a nut shell, what do you all think? Is it doable? Any salvage yards out there willing to donate? Dennis Kirk? Where's Dennis? Anybody seen Dennis?? :D
I can ask Sled Salvage 1 (my brothers company) and Pirate Salvage if they will donate parts or I could buy some of the parts and ship to you. Make a list of what you need. You are short on time to pull it off this year.

Last edited:

ezra

get that pay pall link up
I will try to get 2 day waconia vintage passes to go with it

snoluver1

Thanks PR1.
I haven't started tearing into it yet but some of the major things I know will be needed for starters are : Different hood, (current hood is broken and missing pieces) Head light. Handle bar pad. Engine parts-pistons/rings, gasket set, crank seals, pipe, etc. Also if there are any machine shops out there willing to do the cylinders that would be great. Suspension parts-shocks, springs, skies, skags, etc. Clutch parts- buttons, ramps, springs and bushings if they are even available. This is just some of what I can see right now without even putting a wrench on it yet.

Ezra, I will look into setting up an account. I don't know all the legalities behind that. I will have to do some research. Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea and I hope it works out but, this project is all ready in a time cruch and it hasn't even started. While thinking about it and getting things set up and since the sled isn't worth much in the state its in, you should start tearing it down and bag and tag the parts. This will let you know what needs to be repaired or replaced. Painting and or powder coating might be a tight deadline trying to get to a paint shop. Unless you do the work yourself you also have to make time for wrong parts received or bad or wrong paint work too. I would make an excel sheet with all the items listed. I wish I was closer to help out. LIke I said, sounds like a great idea, this will definetly keep your weekends busy even through the holidays. Goodluck

polarisrider1

Thanks PR1.
I haven't started tearing into it yet but some of the major things I know will be needed for starters are : Different hood, (current hood is broken and missing pieces) Head light. Handle bar pad. Engine parts-pistons/rings, gasket set, crank seals, pipe, etc. Also if there are any machine shops out there willing to do the cylinders that would be great. Suspension parts-shocks, springs, skies, skags, etc. Clutch parts- buttons, ramps, springs and bushings if they are even available. This is just some of what I can see right now without even putting a wrench on it yet.

Ezra, I will look into setting up an account. I don't know all the legalities behind that. I will have to do some research. Thanks!
My concern is that this project is not like making "Stone" soup. The sled may be to far gone to fix in such short time. I do not have a hood but suspect I have a windsheild and possible a clutch and belt. carb rebuild kit maybe. I will need part numbers for snostuff and stock windshield so I can look thru the 300 plus windshields. Try to get me part numbers and also you need to do an inventory of what can be salvaged. skis's are easy to get. I posted a site on here last year that had access to hundreds of sled microfishe cards for part numbers on old sleds. along with scematics. Anyone remember this topic that I posted it under?

snoluver1

It very well may be unrealistic to get it done for this year, but like I said, if it doesn't get done there is always next year. Even if it was raffled off some time after the ride-in, the money could still be put in the pot for the following year. I plan on starting the tear down this weekend. I will have a better idea of whats what once I start wrenching. Then I can start getting together a parts list and determine what I can save and what is to far gone.

polarisrider1

Keep me informed. I got a huge inventory in my brothers business of fabrication and sled restoration businesses to pull from. We just brought in a 1973 Polaris Colt 175 to restore. We had a 1972 Polaris Colt 175 as kids. Also I am thinking that there may not be enough of a draw for a 1975 340 fanner to make it worth wild. It would be best to have a memory sled or a turning point sled. say like a 1980 Poo Centurian 500 triple, or a Phazer from the first yr. made, or maybe ???? a Coleman, HD, Massy Furgison, or old Viking with purple metallic hood? I for one would bid the snot out of a restored Yamaha Vmax from the first year made with the radiator in the hood.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
My thanks to snoluvr1 for taking on this project and my early thanks to those stepping up and wanting to help/or helping so far (polarisrider1, ezra and vic_juniorhttp://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/member.php?19481-vic_junior). Sounds like things are off to an encouraging start. Hopefully with more eyes seeing this thread, we can keep the ball rolling. It's for a great cause.

-John

snoluver1

here we go. head to the bottom of page on this site and start searching for part numbers for me. http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/index.html

Thanks for the link. Through this site I was able to determine the sled is actually a 1976 model produced in Aug of 1975. All these years I thought it was a 75-lol! I'm sure there will be a few more surprises along the way. It also looks like there is a lot of reproduction stuff available. One of the things I was worried about was decals, but they are all available!!:)

Last edited:

yamarage07

A paypal account for donations to this project would be helpful.I would be more than happy to kick in a few bucks.sound like a great idea!

trebsdub

Donations sent thru a Pay Pal account should be sent as a gift that way you will not be charged the handling fees for receiving the money electonically.

snoluver1

Working with John on getting the paypal account up on the site. There is some logistics involved. Hope to get it up in the next couple days. Thanks all!