Measured frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are land owners compensated for trail access ? They should be if not in cash at least tax credit. If this isn’t so I bet it would help . I would expect compensation if it was me. Otherwise “get off my lawn”

MATTR

Pretty funny. I made one post on this subject that did not condone trespassing and one sentence of sarcasm about grooming trails 24/7 if you want people to stay between the signs and all the simpletons on this site came out. Now I know who you are.

They're easy to spot

dfattack

I definitely think someone (club, agency or someone) needs to get creative. I don't have the answer, but the tax credit sounds like a good idea. Agree with a previous comment about stiffer penalties too.

xsledder

Are land owners compensated for trail access ? They should be if not in cash at least tax credit. If this isn’t so I bet it would help . I would expect compensation if it was me. Otherwise “get off my lawn”

I see your are from northeast Illinois so you are probably in either McHenry or Lake County. If not, you are in the six county area. I can answer your question for Illinois if you will let me. There is no sarcasm or any other type of emotion in my answer so please don't think there is anything between the lines. In Illinois, Statute 625ILCS 40/5-1 of the ILCS states that a landowner is indemnified and cannot be held responsible for injuries or damage if they allow their property to be used for a snowmobile trail. Now, I am taking all the legal language out of it so if you want to know what it really says, read the statute. However, (and there is always a but) they loose this protection if they accept payment for the use of their land for a trail. So, if they don't receive a gift, Illinois will protect them from damages. (Notice how I did not say suit since anyone can sue anyone.)

Here is a copy of Region 5 landowners permission slip if you want proof. You are either in Region 1, 2, 5 or 7.

request.jpg

Last edited:

xsledder

What happened to timo's post ripping me? I was going to call him out, politely of course. Darn! Oh well. :)

xsledder

Seems online discussions always spiral downward. Please stop bickering with each other.

I once was part of this community, I reached out yesterday because I know there are many good people here. This problem is not new for any of us however it does appear that it is becoming more widespread. Leaving the trail has always been a sore spot for landowners here, my situation here in town once was occasional but based on the last week, it is a serious issue now. I am no where near a trail, a field or anything...just the end of main street with a large yard.

I posted this while I was at work yesterday. When I arrived at home, my drive was as well traveled as any trail out there. Many, many sleds had passed over it during the day (thru the orange cones). I was home for about 2 hrs yesterday before I left again, I was amazed at what took place.

I decided to move my plow truck to block the drive and within minutes 3 sleds came thru. You can clearly see the cone-barricade as you approach as well as the truck blocking the path. One sled went around the truck while the others did a u-turn. I saw 3 more sleds sitting in the public parking lot next door, doing nothing wrong...at first. The streets were bare blacktop and all 3 sleds left via a small Village owned park, diving right part way down the sidewalk and then across the park itself. Sled tracks in the 6' space between my truck and garage this morning. You don't drive across parks!

This isn't the adrenaline driven thrill seeker wandering around town looking for action, I suspect it may be many good folks like you just exploring and wandering around. The thrill seekers need you to set them straight. Cruising around town on your sleds probably isn't a harmless activity, just something to think about. Go to your destination on the most direct route...and enjoy.

If things remain at this pace at my house this year, I am going to get angrier by the week.

Just some more suggestions. If they think your driveway looks like a trail, have you called the local club and asked if they can provide you some trail closed signs? What about the town or township, can they post no snowmobiling signs at a nearby intersection. Both suggestions are fairly cheap and can be done somewhat easily. (I mean, only the town or township can post signs on their roadways and probably won't do it until the spring/summer. But, maybe they can post a sign temporarily. Does not hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no.) If you have already tried this, then disregard my suggestions. (After all, I am not trying to tell you what to do.)

There is definitely something about your drive that is attractive to them. You have to somehow make it appear less like a trail. Can you post a picture of where this is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.