Measured frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to vent. I waited a day to write this so I had time to cool off. I want to be clear in what I say, including that I am angry...but I don't want the anger to be all that comes thru.

Riding snow has only been with us now for a short time this season and I am already sick and tired of sleds going where they don't belong. This is an every-year event...but it is starting out very strong this year.

I live at the end of town. Like many others in the UP, my commercial building is also my home. I am fortunate and have a nice large yard to enjoy as part of this property and there is a drive that wraps around the building which seems to very tempting to take a spin around.

There are no establishments to visit this far down the street, no reason to ride here. None. You knew that when you Googled your destination.

In the event you find yourself at the dead end of main street accidentally, there is PLENTY of room to turn your sled around in the street. I see you do it downtown without incident. Additionally, everyone sees (and usually drives thru) the public beach access parking lot across the street...a fair place for you to stop/turn/whatever. Your legit reasons to pass thru my private property are still zero.

I raised my children here. They used to LOVE to dig caves in the banks where I plow snow. Fun fact, snowmobilers riding where they don't belong love to ride over those same snow banks. A number of years back, my youngest was in one of them as a nice group of riders passed over the piles...missing the one he was in. I watched in horror as it went down.

Now I have grandkids that LOVE those same snow banks, and are old enough to play in the yard without direct supervision. My own backyard isn't safe to allow them this pleasure. I also have a young dog with a long lead that goes overhead and allows him to go out and do his thing or get a bit of fresh air. He is also in danger.

Keep out / no trespassing signs are of no value. My most obvious one was recently destroyed by the weather however it makes no difference. Once the decision has been made to make the loop, it seems even an encounter with me yelling at you means nothing. NYE and NY morning my yard was very busy. I opted to put orange cones out at both entrances. Spaced so I can drive in/out but to others it should be clear that you are not to enter. Funny, it didn't work. Within a couple hours there was several groups of sleds that blew thru, not even stopping and contemplating if they should proceed.

This unfortunately is not a rare exception, it happens multiple times most every day. When the snow in the drive isn't to your liking, it is very common to just drive in the yard....even when there isn't suitable snow there.

The business next to me has a gate at the entrance that sometimes is open. Very well marked to keep out. Hasn't happened that I have seen yet this season...but it will. "I just wondered what was back there" is what you hear if you are able to confront someone (I work inside that gate).

I have read groomers reports of seeing piles of sleds off trail riding likely where they shouldn't be. Think about me riding my carbides across your yard and driveway. Absurd, right?

I am pro-tourism, pro-trail, pro-come and enjoy the freedom we have in the UP. Most of you are top quality, consciences people however I do believe there is a sizable group of people in the sport that act without regard.

This is a plague on your sport. Since there are no individual consequences (who can catch you) you have to start policing yourselves.

slimcake

The "entitled" crowd grows larger every year. I think a guy in lawn chair holding a rifle would get the point across. But I gotta ask where is this? Bergland? There must be a reason the machines come down your way. What is it? Can you change whatever is there destination?

Stench

Well said. I can feel your frustration and I too would fear the safety of myself and loved ones. It DOES take a solid policing of our peers. Riding is a privilege, not a right. Everyone needs to understand how we continue to maintain these privileges to grow the sport and potentially the trails. There have many earlier threads on here about trails closing due to off trail riders (some pointing to side by sides in the summer). Behavior like this just isn't what we need. We're up against enough already this season.

Hope you see improvement on your property. Kudos for you taking to this platform to bring it to the community's attention... Good people here.

1fujifilm

The "entitled" crowd grows larger every year. I think a guy in lawn chair holding a rifle would get the point across. But I gotta ask where is this? Bergland? There must be a reason the machines come down your way. What is it? Can you change whatever is there destination?

Freeekin MEHLENNIALS

Bear

pclark

I don't think its anyone age group and it's also prevalent in other sports such as boating, golf, bike trails, etc. The real problem is that there are people getting into these sports that just don't educate themselves as to what is right and what is wrong. Just because you can afford to buy a brand new bike, boat, or snowmobile it does not give you the right to act any differently than all of the good people in these sports. Happens in the summer on our lake as well, people just have no consideration for anyone other than themselves. Get yourself educated people and things will be a lot better for everyone. Be safe and lets remember that we have a great sport only if we all make it one. Happy New Year everyone!

Stench

I don't think its anyone age group and it's also prevalent in other sports such as boating, golf, bike trails, etc. The real problem is that there are people getting into these sports that just don't educate themselves as to what is right and what is wrong. Just because you can afford to buy a brand new bike, boat, or snowmobile it does not give you the right to act any differently than all of the good people in these sports. Happens in the summer on our lake as well, people just have no consideration for anyone other than themselves. Get yourself educated people and things will be a lot better for everyone. Be safe and lets remember that we have a great sport only if we all make it one. Happy New Year everyone!

Agreed.... The golden rule applies again. Do unto others.....

pclark

This is dead on, when we put our trails in we always stake using two stakes, one on each side of the trail. Do people stay within the stakes, nope, kinda pisses you off because of all the work that we do to put in the trails correctly. Again, educate yourself like pretty much everyone on this site. Should be a pre-requisite for riding that everyone spends at least one day doing trail work.

kip

It's just a total lack of respect and it really pisses me off. No excuse for it!!! I tell people every day please watch and obey the signs! Self govern and chew your buddies out if they misbehave or it will be the end of a lot of trails!!!

snomoman

We need to really have some trespassing laws that I have some “teeth” to them, getting together with the Michigan DNR to figure something out to where these people can be fined, I’m all for putting some type of registration numbers on the hoods on each side of the snowmobiles to let people know who we are and that we can be traced back to, I feel that this would be an alternative to people that are trespassing, they would automatically get a ticket sent to them with a $500 fine, if they didn’t pay it then their snowmobile privileges would be revoked...just an idea

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, multiple causes for this problem every year. Inexperience, adrenaline, lack of respect for others and their property. In some cases alcohol but mostly just rudeness and lack of responsibility. I think another factor is the land owners sensitivity to these issues and I don't blame them. If you can't let your dog out to take a poop without being run over then it's time for action.

One other factor that hasn't been mentioned is "tracks in the snow". Once the first trespasser lays down a track that's like a welcome sign for those that follow.

Guess if it were me I'd continue with the signage, some barrier material, and notify your local law enforcement for the opportunity to generate some cash for the local coffers.

wirev

There are "You are entering Private Property, stay on trail" signs in WI. Just sayin. Probably wouldn't help those who believe they are "entitled."

jr37

This ongoing issue pisses me off more every year. People just have a total disregard for other people's property. Laws and fines won't work, because there is no enforcement. Self enforcement, or yelling at your buddies isn't working, if it's done at all. These idiots won't get it until they start losing trails, and that is coming sooner than later. I've been riding and involved with my club my entire life. I wouldn't even let a trail cross my land .This crap has to stop. I'd support random trail closures, for a week at a time or so,just to make a point. I'd feel bad for the businesses. But,if this doesn't stop, trail closures are going to affect some of them soon or later anyway .

Last edited:

indy_500

Just rode from Mass City to Rosseau in pure disgust as there are more tracks zipping across the open fields than there are on the trail. The 100+ stay on trail signs in that area aren’t enough I guess...

mezz

I feel your pain wireburnguy, this has been an ongoing issue for years & is growing. Despite trail 3 being shut down between Dollar Bay & Lake Linden, of which a significant section passes behind my yard, I still end up with peeps on sleds in my yard. Signage is ignored, and they roll up my sledding hill trail off of the street into my yard. Can't fix stupid.��-Mezz

fishcrib

Need to give out some hefty fines and impound sleds. People would get the message. Terrible when people do this kind of crap.
Same type of people throw garbage out their car windows. Makes me sick.

We are seeing more and more cross over sleds, I know this was brought up before years past but, people of all ages purchase these sleds and want to climb the drifts which are not near the trails.
We have people down here with 2" tracks riding off trail because there tracks and sleds heat up, that's what they tell me when lecturing them about respect.
The old sleds would get stuck if not on the trails. Times have sure changed for the worst.
We have some major trail reroutes this year and we have them well marked not to use old route we are worried people will NOT respect the changes and do as they please.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
One well placed found from a .270 will end the off trail riders from Mass City to Rousseau bar, guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.