New ski doo 850 etec turbo (summit)

indy_500

The biggest innovation ever released in the mountain sled segment... bad arse IMO. Wished there was still a slight power increase at low altitude running low boost though. Curious to know more how it works.

snobuilder

the ecu evidently measures altitude and then adds boost or not....Kinda weird but I never rode a mountain either.
Not sure if I like the trending of new innovation going just to the mountain market.
gotta like Doo making this sled available in the buyers hands to ride this season....just plunk down yur $18k.....

slimcake

Ya crazy money for a two month toy! I like where it's going. I put a 1000 miles of smiles on my poo 850 last week and couldn't imagine needing more than that. As a flatlander. Indy if we hear you buy a ski dont it will be the total transfer. Might as well get married as well....

If you're doing 2-3 out west trips a season and ride the UP the other weeks, this makes perfect sense. Plus, the aftermarket guys will be right there to open up the real HP numbers. Pump gas, no clutching, no guessing. Just sign on the X and ride.

harvest1121

I saw a truck load of Ski Doo sleds heading west last week must of been those thought it was strange to see crated sleds this time of year.

sMgE46M

the ecu evidently measures altitude and then adds boost or not....Kinda weird but I never rode a mountain either.
Not sure if I like the trending of new innovation going just to the mountain market.
gotta like Doo making this sled available in the buyers hands to ride this season....just plunk down yur $18k.....

90% of todays focus is on the "mountain" market when discussing ski doo, polaris and arctic cat. You only can do so much with trail sleds. When they make new motors, lighter sleds... its all in the target of how it impacts "long tracks" and that part of the industry. Like someone said - out west they have been riding since october and will ride easily through march (way longer season).

Go to skidoo.com or polaris snowmobiles home page. First thing thats displayed... Mountain sleds.
Instagram, brand ambassadors... all mountain related (chris brandt, bret rasmussen, ashley chaffin - im sure i am forgetting tons more).

Attak man

I think it will be great for the mountain riders...but saw the posts on the ski doo site, and people just aren't understanding why it's boosted to work in high altitude....I saw some a post a while back that said a stock 800 would only be at around 120 HP..at 8,000 ft or above..so it this thing can maintain 165 HP at 8,000 plus...that's impressive, and will make one **** of a lighter weight mountain sled

- - - Updated - - -

I think it will be great for the mountain riders...but saw the posts on the ski doo site, and people just aren't understanding why it's boosted to work in high altitude....I saw some a post a while back that said a stock 800 would only be at around 120 HP..at 8,000 ft or above..so it this thing can maintain 165 HP at 8,000 plus...that's impressive, and will make one **** of a lighter weight mountain sled

misty_pines

I agree with Attack Man and the others. This would be one fun sled for riding in the mountains. It's amazing how much power a naturally aspirated engine loses at altitude. I believe it's about a 3% power loss for every 1000 feet. Just when you need the power the most (in the mountains-steep and deep) the power is down. My 165 hp Summit 850 makes only about 125 hp at 8,000 feet. I would love to have 165 hp at 8,000 feet. When going higher than 8,000 feet, this turbo still keeps it close to 165 hp (a little less the higher you go) but will make 40+ more hp than a non-turbo sled. Also, only weight 10 more pounds than a regular Summit. The only fly in the ointment for me is the $18,000 they cost...and...still no stock LED headlight!!

Last edited:

1fujifilm

They’ll Definitely sell a lot of the them out west. Turbo with a warranty

I have been thinking about this since I received the Doo email yesterday, Not being a MTN rider there is the following;

-Putting a turbo and the stresses says a lot abut the 850 motor (confidence). I have had 6 with no issues past 3,800 miles since 2017.
-I wonder what if any belt/drive-line changes are on that new sled? I just cleaned the belt area on my 2020 Gade 850 after the first 500 miles and there is substantial belt dust.
-You know this turbo will make it to the 850 flat land sleds sometime.
-18k for this sled is really a MSRP increase of $3,201 over a normal XRS 850. Is that reasonable for a turbo upgrade? Not for me, maybe you fellas.

Bear

indy_500

I have been thinking about this since I received the Doo email yesterday, Not being a MTN rider there is the following;

-Putting a turbo and the stresses says a lot abut the 850 motor (confidence). I have had 6 with no issues past 3,800 miles since 2017.
-I wonder what if any belt/drive-line changes are on that new sled? I just cleaned the belt area on my 2020 Gade 850 after the first 500 miles and there is substantial belt dust.
-You know this turbo will make it to the 850 flat land sleds sometime.
-18k for this sled is really a MSRP increase of $3,201 over a normal XRS 850. Is that reasonable for a turbo upgrade? Not for me, maybe you fellas.

Bear
A summit expert with shot start has an msrp of 15,099 so really you’re looking at a $3000 increase and I believe the new turbo model has shocks that are leaps and bounds better. So typically most turbo kits are $3500-4500 for a base line pump gas turbo with chitty clutching. And that voids warranty. So for $3000 you’re getting a factory installed turbo, better shocks, AND a warranty. With proper tuning/mapping some believe boosted motors last longer with an increase in pressure on the bottom side of the piston. So many Billy’s putting aftermarket turbo kits on their sleds and blowing top ends up is actually fairly rare among the problems most guys have...

goofy600

There is no doubt it will make it to the flatland area it’s probably all computer controlled so it will just take a reprogram or something to get it to work at low altitudes. And if it holds up in the mountain sleds they will try it on the flatland. IMO

kip

I think it's a great addition and even if the price is high who cares, it's not a sled for everyone but it sure is a option for those wanting it!

ss440

Ya crazy money for a two month toy! I like where it's going. I put a 1000 miles of smiles on my poo 850 last week and couldn't imagine needing more than that. As a flatlander. Indy if we hear you buy a ski dont it will be the total transfer. Might as well get married as well....

6 month toy most years out west