Off trail riding on the local news

goofy600

Only a guess on what the people that came up with this idea. There are probably only a couple counties in the entire state that may get enough deep snow for a long track to be used (Ashland, Bayfield maybe) so point being there is no place in the state to use them so why have them? Could this be a real though by them? As for my thought stupidity is the biggest problem and hopefully the stupid will pay before they wreck it for all.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lmao, 20-30 years ago it was those damned studded tracks tearing up the trails, and wrecking the base. I guarantee the drunk person on the sled is doing a lot more damage to the trail than I ever have on my RMK, and that will never change. How about instead of banning mt sleds, you ban the sledder who walks in the bar and orders an alcoholic drink? Yea, didn't think you would like that idea.

tomcat

Just got back from a quick 2 day tomahawk trip on my 153 x 2.25 tracked crossover. I have the budget for one nice sled so I make the one I have work for out west and up north. I’ve rode short tracks for years and feel I definitely tore more stuff up on those than I do with my deep lug.

I rarely spin the track or slide while trail riding the long track. Just did 200 miles ending at 3 pm today and didn’t leave the trail once. I use scratchers to keep the slides cool when needed. Also don’t have a can! Started wearing a back pack on this trip to carry my extra gloves, etc and occasionally ride standing up though!

I don’t think it’s fair to assume it’s the long track guys tearing stuff up and trespassing. Most shorties would be able to blast through any of the snow I typically see in the north woods. I guess if they decide to ban the deep lugs my group starts spending its money elsewhere.

attakman

Lmao, 20-30 years ago it was those damned studded tracks tearing up the trails, and wrecking the base. I guarantee the drunk person on the sled is doing a lot more damage to the trail than I ever have on my RMK, and that will never change. How about instead of banning mt sleds, you ban the sledder who walks in the bar and orders an alcoholic drink? Yea, didn't think you would like that idea.
Skyler...its different in the yoop...you probably have triple the snow we have...we are lucky to have a 3 to 5 inch base...studded sleds have NEVER been the problem down here...studded sleds grab traction and go...non studded sleds spin...and wipe the corners down to the ice and a deep lug mountain works like a snow blower and blows the snow off the trail into the woods...making dangerous icy corners...prove me wrong (I've watched this)...the yoop is totally different than northern Wisconsin...you guys have triple the snow...also ...show me one guy with a long track who doesn't have a can...the majority of those guys are in their 20s and 30s and don't give a flying *%$...you rarely see guys over 50 with loud sleds...if u do they have short pecker syndrome

attakman

Just got back from a quick 2 day tomahawk trip on my 153 x 2.25 tracked crossover. I have the budget for one nice sled so I make the one I have work for out west and up north. I’ve rode short tracks for years and feel I definitely tore more stuff up on those than I do with my deep lug.

I rarely spin the track or slide while trail riding the long track. Just did 200 miles ending at 3 pm today and didn’t leave the trail once. I use scratchers to keep the slides cool when needed. Also don’t have a can! Started wearing a back pack on this trip to carry my extra gloves, etc and occasionally ride standing up though!

I don’t think it’s fair to assume it’s the long track guys tearing stuff up and trespassing. Most shorties would be able to blast through any of the snow I typically see in the north woods. I guess if they decide to ban the deep lugs my group starts spending its money elsewhere.
That's cool that u don't run a can and run off trail...but you know damn well you've seen mountain sleds with cans up here...you are rare..the exception to the rule....its killing us up here...the amount of complaints and threats to close trails is real...we deal with it everyday...and some guys just don't give a flying (you know what)....I work two jobs and still find the time to mark trails, brush trails and pack swamps...and as a member of the board of directors for my local club...this stuff pisses me off...some people just have no clue how hard we work as a club to keep trails open, or that it's all volunteer (non paid)...its irritating to work this hard to have morons disrespect it...I wonder why I even bother sometimes...it feels like wasted time that nobody appreciates...I sometimes feel like some of our snowmobiling brethren are the dumbest F@#$%÷rs on the planet...its frustrating to care so much about a sport, that some people just suck at.

bayfly

I’ve stayed out of this thread so far, simply because this subject is just plain common sense. Banning mountain sleds sounds like a complete asinine idea, as they are not all “tearing up the trails”. It is extremely difficult to ride one aggressively on a trail as all they want to do is tip over, they are honestly zero fun to ride on a trail and I do nothing but laugh at the folks who buy one just to trail ride. An old school small lug track that can’t gain traction does FAR more damage to a groomed trail sliding all over the place. At the end of the day it is up to the operator behind the throttle, on if he wants to spin his track everywhere, and if he wants to trespass all over the place. This topic is no different than gun control  Its unfortunate to our sport that we ride on so much private land and we try so hard to protect our access, and it just takes a couple bad eggs to ruin it for everyone.

I 100% agree with your remarks Indy. I too hesitated to even comment on this thread, but some of the generalizations made here would be laughable if they weren't so offensive to those who enjoy legal off-trail riding. It is concerning that any avid sledder would be supportive of restricting the use of certain sled types. That just seems like a slippery slope and would certainly be cheered on by the non-motorized green crowd. In no way do I support trespassing, but off-trail riding is legal in many areas. I would hate to see this limited. Now getting impaired drivers off the trails is another topic, but doing this would actually save lives not just keep from messing up the groomed trails.

indy_500

Skyler...its different in the yoop...you probably have triple the snow we have...we are lucky to have a 3 to 5 inch base...studded sleds have NEVER been the problem down here...studded sleds grab traction and go...non studded sleds spin...and wipe the corners down to the ice and a deep lug mountain works like a snow blower and blows the snow off the trail into the woods...making dangerous icy corners...prove me wrong (I've watched this)...the yoop is totally different than northern Wisconsin...you guys have triple the snow...also ...show me one guy with a long track who doesn't have a can...the majority of those guys are in their 20s and 30s and don't give a flying *%$...you rarely see guys over 50 with loud sleds...if u do they have short pecker syndrome
You take away their mountain sled, they’re still going to ride and act like jackwagons. They will still have loud cans, they will still tip drinks all day on a barstool, and they’ll still hop on their sled and go ride where they shouldn’t like a bunch of @$$hats. The only reason a “mountain sled” is a common denominator in this thought process is because they’re pushed so hard on social media by very active “influencers/professionals” on Instagram, Facebook, etc. and the younger generation buys into it and thinks they need one. That is why you see a lot of younger guys riding one.

Also on a side note, Twin Lakes Mi, aka lake effect snow capital of the UP, has about as much on the ground as Tomahawk Wi this year. Absolutely terrible year for them up there, couldn’t have sold my mountain sled on a better year. The colder weather coming up will likely trigger some LES and they will get caught up, but for there not to be decent offtrail snow until after February 1st is a huge buzzkill for anyone who rides a mountain sled like it’s intended to be ridden, where it’s supposed to be ridden…

Last edited:

old abe

I’ve stayed out of this thread so far, simply because this subject is just plain common sense. Banning mountain sleds sounds like a complete asinine idea, as they are not all “tearing up the trails”. It is extremely difficult to ride one aggressively on a trail as all they want to do is tip over, they are honestly zero fun to ride on a trail and I do nothing but laugh at the folks who buy one just to trail ride. An old school small lug track that can’t gain traction does FAR more damage to a groomed trail sliding all over the place. At the end of the day it is up to the operator behind the throttle, on if he wants to spin his track everywhere, and if he wants to trespass all over the place. This topic is no different than gun control ;) Its unfortunate to our sport that we ride on so much private land and we try so hard to protect our access, and it just takes a couple bad eggs to ruin it for everyone.
Don't forget the public lands indy. And for the same reasons wanting to restrict our ability to ride there.

pclark

Wait,...I thought the cap step trail pass was designed to get ppl signed up as members and involved in a club by offering a discounted trail pass of $10 vs. $30 ....WHAAA?....not working in WISCO?
I think it worked fine. Like Mpease said only certain members do the work, typically 10%. My message was that these types of riders whether they are members of a club are not don't care, they will always do stupid things and ruin it for everyone. You should know that, you've been around long enough to realize that.

old abe

I'm prob the one you are referring to [no harm]. I didn't say all, but I have seen enough deep lugs tear up a trail. All young throttle jockeys showing off. Guys like that have no respect and yes, I wouldn't mind seeing those off the trail, at least 2" and under. I've also seen others completely mess up a trail as well. Again, guys with no respect. But what can I say, I'm out of the sport [riding] as I have a bad shoulder.
Can't help but to agree wisrev! Several years back, up in the Keewee we seen the groomer go down the trail towards Calumet, so we waited awhile before following him. We tried to stay off the fresh ribbon as to let it set up some. we simply cruised along. Then 5 mountain sleds blew by us, and the newly groomed trail was no more. You couldn't tell it had been groomed, most moguls were blew out once again. Seen this before as the deep lugs shredded the ribbon. Power, and deep lugs, sadly so it is. Again it's not all, but it only takes a few.:(

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only reason a “mountain sled” is a common denominator in this thought process is because they’re pushed so hard on social media by very active “influencers/professionals” on Instagram, Facebook, etc. and the younger generation buys into it and thinks they need one. That is why you see a lot of younger guys riding one.

Very true, Indy. Look at the advertising from all four OEM's. Do they show families out there riding trails? Nope, it the guys with their hair on fire ripping through the mountains. Newcomers to snowmobiling see this and assume that's what you do, that's how you ride, in the mountains or down Main Street it doesn't matter. Doo, Polaris, Cat, and Almost a Cat all have ownership in this.

Tim in Indiana

You take away their mountain sled, they’re still going to ride and act like jackwagons. They will still have loud cans, they will still tip drinks all day on a barstool, and they’ll still hop on their sled and go ride where they shouldn’t like a bunch of @$$hats. The only reason a “mountain sled” is a common denominator in this thought process is because they’re pushed so hard on social media by very active “influencers/professionals” on Instagram, Facebook, etc. and the younger generation buys into it and thinks they need one. That is why you see a lot of younger guys riding one.

I couldn't agree more. I know I'm getting older and inching ever closer to the "get off my lawn" age but it seems that the last couple years has really brought out the self centered a-holes. I have seen more selfish, look at me behavior this year than I can recall. I'm not sure if it's mostly the new sled riders or younger people or just a reflection of our society in general.

Just this week I saw one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. In an area that was recently logged where they pile the logs in the cord wood type stacks I saw guys riding up and over the piles from end to end. The piles were probably 15 foot high and they rode up one end, down the length and back down the other. Of course the friends all had their phones out and were filming it so it's probably already online.

This was on private land, in an area that recently sold and the new owners have mentioned closing off access due to liability concerns. I imagine the owners would lose their minds if they saw this happening. And the people doing it probably had no clue or didn't care.

cooksend

Lot's of 50+ guys with Short Peckers!

ICT Sledder

The premise that long tracks don't cause more rapid degradation of the trail base than short tracks is honestly, all else held constant, on the level of the flat earth-ers, the moon conspiracy folks, and those who think vaccines will cause them to grow a third arm. I mean I guess it's not a full-on conspiracy theory, but it's at least a position held by folks who I can only assume sat in the back row and picked their nose during physical science classes in their formative years. It's sled horsepower times total square inch of track lug face. Do wider 35" mud terrains move more dirt than the narrower 32" stock highway tires?

I've said it before, but I've been involved with all kinds of motorsports my entire life, and the proportion of guys attracted to long track sleds who also display almost hilarious volumes of tiny pecker syndrome is shocking. Not everyone with a long track, but damn if it isn't at least a small majority. There's nothing like it, at least in my experience. The on/off "braap" throttling, the loud cans, the gay pride parade sled wraps, the neon-colored onesies, the backpacks full of stuff that would fit fine in the tunnel bag, the shovels for use when they get stuck playing 15 feet off the trail, the deleted diesel pickups with lifts and offset wheels, the sled decks meant for mountain parking limitations. It's just a CONSTANT need for attention, like they weren't held by their mothers enough as children or something.

Last edited:

latner

The premise that long tracks don't cause more rapid degradation of the trail base than short tracks is honestly, all else held constant, on the level of the flat earth-ers, the moon conspiracy folks, and those who think vaccines will cause them to grow a third arm. I mean I guess it's not a full-on conspiracy theory, but it's at least a position held by folks who I can only assume sat in the back row and picked their nose during physical science classes in their formative years. It's sled horsepower times total square inch of track lug face. Do wider 35" mud terrains move more dirt than the narrower 32" stock highway tires?

I've said it before, but I've been involved with all kinds of motorsports my entire life, and the proportion of guys attracted to long track sleds who also display almost hilarious volumes of tiny pecker syndrome is shocking. Not everyone with a long track, but damn if it isn't at least a small majority. There's nothing like it, at least in my experience. The on/off "braap" throttling, the loud cans, the gay pride parade sled wraps, the neon-colored onesies, the backpacks full of stuff that would fit fine in the tunnel bag, the shovels for use when they get stuck playing 15 feet off the trail, the deleted diesel pickups with lifts and offset wheels, the sled decks meant for mountain parking limitations. It's just a CONSTANT need for attention, like they weren't held by their mothers enough as children or something.
You win! :LOL:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. If there was a JohnDee Hall of Fame, this post would be in it. Well said, sir!

elf

OK, I ride a long track and don't have a can. There's your one.