Off trail riding on the local news

snobuilder

Diesel powered groomers at full tilt 3200-3500 rpm are louder than the state mandated Db levels allowed for sleds...So it's not always the sleds pissing people off...A groomer rippin past your home @ 3am at full tilt, im sure pisses people off too...I personally did a test on a Vilas Co clubs groomer years ago....It FAILED...Also...On monday evening (8pm) as I left the Silverado Bar n Grill in downtown Tomahawk,Wi, and walked back to the motel next door. There was a sledder with pipes/can driving east on the deadend street between the Kwik-Trip and the Marathon station...What are the percentages this person is a local heading back home from a ride ?...Outsiders have always been easy prey, but the local clubs/leo's need to cleanup their own house too...
It can be anyone and IMO when a new out a towner buys a property they aren't always aware of past practices which might include a simple track on or near their new property for access that was ok'ed in the past.

also There have been a couple occasions on my local upnorth trails website where everyone was riled up over some tracks on new owner's.... who closed the trail.... property and of course the sentiment was that these were non local folks who just come up to rape and pillage the land.....in both cases it was locals.

old abe

Diesel powered groomers at full tilt 3200-3500 rpm are louder than the state mandated Db levels allowed for sleds...So it's not always the sleds pissing people off...A groomer rippin past your home @ 3am at full tilt, im sure pisses people off too...I personally did a test on a Vilas Co clubs groomer years ago....It FAILED...Also...On monday evening (8pm) as I left the Silverado Bar n Grill in downtown Tomahawk,Wi, and walked back to the motel next door. There was a sledder with pipes/can driving east on the deadend street between the Kwik-Trip and the Marathon station...What are the percentages this person is a local heading back home from a ride ?...Outsiders have always been easy prey, but the local clubs/leo's need to cleanup their own house too...
Yeah, well, for what it's worth, any of the New Holland, John Deere, or Case IH powered groomer units are subject to lower exhaust sound levels than any state sound regulations, from the factory. They only turn 2000 to 2600 rpm, not 3200-3500 rpm. I highly doubt any club has altered the engines, or exhausts on their groomers to exceed the state regulated sound levels for any reason. I can't speak for Piston Bully, or Tucker groomers, but very much doubt those to exceed the acceptable state regulated sound levels either.

SHOOT2KILL

Yeah, well, for what it's worth, any of the New Holland, John Deere, or Case IH powered groomer units are subject to lower exhaust sound levels than any state sound regulations, from the factory. They only turn 2000 to 2600 rpm, not 3200-3500 rpm. I highly doubt any club has altered the engines, or exhausts on their groomers to exceed the state regulated sound levels for any reason. I can't speak for Piston Bully, or Tucker groomers, but very much doubt those to exceed the acceptable state regulated sound levels either.
I disagree

attakman

Yes...there are some asshat locals too...I did corner a 40 something year old with an obnoxiously loud sled..I told him to park his sled until he put a stock exhaust back on...he told me to go eff myself, and we nearly came to blows...he left, and 4 days later, the dnr nailed him...loud pipes ticket...he came in the bar. Just bitchin about cops/ dnr (called em trail nazi's)I lmao at him...called him a dumb Azz and told him to pack sand...he left.

goofy600

Our club has an 2005 JD 8120, a 2010JD 8295 and a 1018 Tucker with a Cummins. I can not tell you exact noise decibels but after an 8 hour shift in them I’ve never wished I had ear plugs or complained about having a headache from the noise of the tractors. So shoot2kill I would have to disagree with you on the tractors being louder than sleds.

SHOOT2KILL

Our club has an 2005 JD 8120, a 2010JD 8295 and a 1018 Tucker with a Cummins. I can not tell you exact noise decibels but after an 8 hour shift in them I’ve never wished I had ear plugs or complained about having a headache from the noise of the tractors. So shoot2kill I would have to disagree with you on the tractors being louder than sleds.
I disagree............AGAIN

snobuilder

The only diff. between a loud can mountain sled and a Tucker is the loud can sled has a single roost ....LOL....BRAAAAAAAAP!

snowcat2.png

Highflyer

Had lunch @ the Wolfs Den in Mercer yesterday...Place was packed with Ricky Racers,,,Some were well on their drunken way at 1p.m....Back room was full of MX helmets, Goggles, backpacks...Bartender girl was carding everyone of them as they sat down at the bar or tables....Funny Shyt...1 punkazz got smart with her and she told the whole group to shut him up or leave...
Ha!! Its guys like you that think they have it all figured out. Blame the young guys with MX style helmets. Go look at the damn thread about who died this weekend see all those young guys......

I would tell you to grow up judging people by what gear they wear but I'm guessing your over 60 already. The sport has likely passed you by to know what gear is best today.

wiscrev

Ha!! Its guys like you that think they have it all figured out. Blame the young guys with MX style helmets. Go look at the damn thread about who died this weekend see all those young guys......

I would tell you to grow up judging people by what gear they wear but I'm guessing your over 60 already. The sport has likely passed you by to know what gear is best today.
I do believe that his point was young Ricky Racers [who needed to be carded] were heavily drinking and being inconsiderate. Politeness will get you farther.

SHOOT2KILL

I don't think he can.
LOL...Circa...Late 1990's...Adams Co Wi...Active club member had the trail going thru their yard...Personally I always thought it was TOO close to the house...Wifey had their first child in early Dec...Before the trail system opened the club ran the groomer panning the trails...Apparently it woke the newborn up and the baby was extremely upset/crying...So literally the next day they rerouted the trail away from the house...

SHOOT2KILL

Yep...Apparently so...You should see the looks I get from other sledders when they see me wearing my open face helmet with a duckbil and a Jofa MX mask...lol

kirk600

Yep...Apparently so...You should see the looks I get from other sledders when they see me wearing my open face helmet with a duckbil and a Jofa MX mask...lol

I have been wearing a MX style helmet and goggles for 25 years snowmobiling...... with my eyeglass situation it was the best option way back when..... and I prefer them for the extra vision it gives me. A set of quick straps on the goggles and I am good!
But I started with a smith half mask!!

SHOOT2KILL

I prefer to wear it this way sometimes

Attachments

• 74c788db9f152d2fadf5ce0e55cb8c16--danny-odonoghue-motocross-bikes.jpg
    74c788db9f152d2fadf5ce0e55cb8c16--danny-odonoghue-motocross-bikes.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 6

snobuilder

LOL...Circa...Late 1990's...Adams Co Wi...Active club member had the trail going thru their yard...Personally I always thought it was TOO close to the house...Wifey had their first child in early Dec...Before the trail system opened the club ran the groomer panning the trails...Apparently it woke the newborn up and the baby was extremely upset/crying...So literally the next day they rerouted the trail away from the house...
great story and it supports my thoughts of why walk on eggshell as a snowmobiler? No matter of the permission given for a trail route through PP, it can all change in the moment on a whim.