Oil and breakin doesnt matter? dynotech says otherwise

momoney2123

I wish they had this data on the 800etec but same idea. I kno some of you dont think oil matters but of the 9 AXYS 800HOs tested, it appears otherwise. This is short snippet copy and pasted from article posted by jim today...cheap oil is as good as any oil...YA right!

Speaking of breakin, I have a semi-scientific opinion on how not to do it. To date I’ve dyno tested nine stock Axys 800 HO engines. The five powerful 150+ HP engines all were broken in hard, and run on Polaris VES oil. The four least powerful engines (146 HP and lower) were ALL run on a variety of non-Polaris oils—two of them were fed aftermarket, name brand mineral oil, one used mysterious strange-colored oil, and one cheap-*** pal of mine made 144 HP after 2000 hard miles using Wal-Mart snowmobile oil (!). Those Chinese Walmart oil packagers surely test their products to make sure they match or exceed OEM specs! Don’t they?

ezra

I wish they had this data on the 800etec but same idea. I kno some of you dont think oil matters but of the 9 AXYS 800HOs tested, it appears otherwise. This is short snippet copy and pasted from article posted by jim today...cheap oil is as good as any oil...YA right!

Speaking of breakin, I have a semi-scientific opinion on how not to do it. To date I’ve dyno tested nine stock Axys 800 HO engines. The five powerful 150+ HP engines all were broken in hard, and run on Polaris VES oil. The four least powerful engines (146 HP and lower) were ALL run on a variety of non-Polaris oils—two of them were fed aftermarket, name brand mineral oil, one used mysterious strange-colored oil, and one cheap-*** pal of mine made 144 HP after 2000 hard miles using Wal-Mart snowmobile oil (!). Those Chinese Walmart oil packagers surely test their products to make sure they match or exceed OEM specs! Don’t they?

wow a semi scientific poll of the axsis fade. thought the engineers said last yr it was the belt

srt20

I'm fairly certain Wally World super tech is made by Warren oil. Which is in USA, and is good oil company.

So many different variables come into play, that article is just not something that can be used as gospel. Sorry.

Btw, there is a guy on HCS that says he works at Lube Tech, and is a head oil engineer or whatever. He said BRP brand oil is in fact made by Lube Tech and he worked on the formula.

sweeperguy

I'm fairly certain Wally World super tech is made by Warren oil. Which is in USA, and is good oil company.

So many different variables come into play, that article is just not something that can be used as gospel. Sorry.

Btw, there is a guy on HCS that says he works at Lube Tech, and is a head oil engineer or whatever. He said BRP brand oil is in fact made by Lube Tech and he worked on the formula.

Seems to me I read on here or hcs that lube tech makes all the oem's oils.

eao

There are 2 companies in the oil business name Warren. Warren Oil and Warren Distribution. Warren Distribution is a Walmart private label supplier.

Last edited:

momoney2123

Yea not gospel, but do you think its a coincidence? 9 different engines, all with good oil run more HP ....this is one of the only guys in the world who have actual data on this debate.

...the engines were not dyno'd one time. They each ran multiple times and repeated HP numbers.

Castrol makes XPS...

eao

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Every manufacturer that makes equipment with an engine has its own name on an oil bottle. They can specify or create the impression that only their oil be used in their equipment because they want a monopoly on what you buy for your machine and their propaganda is designed to affect that end.

momoney2123

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Every manufacturer that makes equipment with an engine has its own name on an oil bottle. They can specify or create the impression that only their oil be used in their equipment because they want a monopoly on what you buy for your machine and their propaganda is designed to affect that end.

I agree with that. They all have their own oil to make money. That is the bottom line. But why would they not do the testing to ensure it is high quality. Which in turn equals less failures which again = less warranty claims= more money. The proof is in the pudding...at least.with VES oil vs cheap amd its effect on poo engines.

G

G

You guys are missing one sentence. It said the five strongest engines were broken in HARD. That might make more of a difference than oil.

momoney2123

have u seen the numbers fresh from the box? big swing on HP there also .
who gives a ****? no one that's who run what u want

People who care about their engine and getting the most performance out of it will appreciate what jim is presenting. Your on the cheap train .. all oil is the same... so when data comes in that proves you wrong i guess thats your response. I guess instead of getting it right you would rather be right. Your engine may live with cheap oil, but it likely wont live as long and it will not perform up to its full potential.

Run what u want but the numbers never lie

sweeperguy

People who care about their engine and getting the most performance out of it will appreciate what jim is presenting. Your on the cheap train .. all oil is the same... so when data comes in that proves you wrong i guess thats your response. I guess instead of getting it right you would rather be right. Your engine may live with cheap oil, but it likely wont live as long and it will not perform up to its full potential.

Yo Mo, I appreciate the post, fixing to break in a new sled, had questiond syn vs dino oil. Sounded like I was going to run it harder than last sled during breakin. These numbers make me feel better about using the synthetic VES. And I'm going to run it hard, hoping for good snow to keep temps low while doing it.
Do you have a link to that whole article on this breakin testing. I'd like to see the whole story.

momoney2123

Yo Mo, I appreciate the post, fixing to break in a new sled, had questiond syn vs dino oil. Sounded like I was going to run it harder than last sled during breakin. These numbers make me feel better about using the synthetic VES. And I'm going to run it hard, hoping for good snow to keep temps low while doing it.
Do you have a link to that whole article on this breakin testing. I'd like to see the whole story.

dynotechresearch.com

you need to buy a membership to view everything they dyno and write up about tho. They have quite a bit of information and dyno runs on the axys 800ho. may be worth it for you, especially if you want it to perform

ezra

I had my last sled that ran sea and snow on a dyno 3 times in 1900 mi and 3 years and those numbers told me all I needed to know. but buy what u want

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lmao, well ****, if Jim at dynotech says so, I better buy the good stuff. Again, lmfao.

momoney2123

Lmao, well ****, if Jim at dynotech says so, I better buy the good stuff. Again, lmfao.

Do you think he has something to gain from sayin out of 9 dyno tested axys 800s the ones with poo oil dynod higher. Its the only common denominator to 146 and under or 152 and higher. You can all come to the conclusions you want but to ignore that data is a mistake imo.

- - - Updated - - -

I had my last sled that ran sea and snow on a dyno 3 times in 1900 mi and 3 years and those numbers told me all I needed to know. but buy what u want

Unfortunately you will never kno what it would have dynod with other oils. If you had that data, i would say you have something.

- - - Updated - - -

Oil threads will always be a debate but this data is hard to ignore its effect on the same engines.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, he tested 9 POLARIS sleds, and the ones using POLARIS oil dynoed higher than the ones not using POLARIS oil. How many Kool aid drinkers are going to read that, and run right out and buy POLARIS oil? And you ask me if I think he has anything to gain? Again, lmao.