One Man's Trash

skiroule

They probably couldn't make this claim after the 73 models came out.

1970_Chap_Ad.jpg

Last edited:

kirk600

Hey Kelly I can't make out the dealers name in Kalamazoo, I was going to give him a call for ya.......lots of luck with that I suppose. Pretty neat seeing that old magazine advertisement. Now they only list the dealers who chipped in for the ads, and the small ones are a dying breed!
I wonder if any of those dealers are still in the snowmobile business???????

skiroule

Kirk, my curiosity got the best of me so I stared at this ad for quite a while and eventually invoked some photo enhancing sci-fi stuff. I believe the dealer was "Russ Avery's Marine & Sporting Goods". Google didn't turn up much but I get the feeling that the business is long gone. It looks like he had some type of marine business in Colon back in the late 60's but that's about all I could determine. He may have re-located to Kalamazoo or Kalamazoo may have been listed as the dealership location for purposes of this ad.

Looking at this dealer list though, it kinda explains why quite a few Chaparrals show up for sale in MI. There was a pretty extensive dealer network compared to a lot of other states.

drdoug48

Yea Russ Avery Marine was just down the street from me. Long gone but there is another marina there now but all the old sled stuff is gone.

skiroule

I’ve been absent from this project for a while but I do have a note from home (sort of). I figure my excuse is legit – working on a 24 x 32 “sled shed”. It’s coming along but between working solo, the pace at which I move, and time off for good fishing days, it will be a while yet. Hopefully it will provide housing for the herd and still allow for a dedicated work area – something I’ve never had.

DSC_0367.jpg

While it’s not finished, it’s now functional and residents are already moving in.

DSC_0368.jpg

I have been working a little on the project in background mode – in the process of tearing this Firebird chassis down for parts and possibly a donor chassis for the project.

DSCN3193.jpg

Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice Kelly, I wouldn't be shocked to see "your herd" population grow exponentially with proper selection and nurturing. Keep us current on things up there.
And take a day off once in a while, you're making the rest of look like lazy slackers!

Gary

D

Deleted member 10829

Looking very good skiroule! That should provide plenty of room for storage and working on projects. From a selfish standpoint, I'm assuming none of the TX's will be for sale now that you have all of that room!! :(

skiroule

Believe me Gary, I take plenty of days off. I do put in long days on the garage when I’m working on it but there are some pretty big gaps in between work sessions. In fact, I’ll be out chasing the elusive Walleye later today.

Mark, since I seem to have a knack for using up all available space, I think things will get pretty tight in no time. If the herd ever needs thinning, you’ll be the first person contacted.

D

Deleted member 10829

Kelly,

As Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber would say, "So you're telling me there's a chance?" ;)

skiroule

I agree, but where would I build it? No room

Besides, can’t you just park your stuff in rp7x’s garage?

Everybody should have a "sled shed" like that. Wish I did

Agree. I’m pretty amp’ed up about it. I ran across a sweet deal on an almost-new wood stove (free). Cool little unit, has a separate oven under the firebox. Now I will be able to work on sleds and make a wood-fired pizza at the same time. Add a beer fridge and CD player and I should be set.

skiroule

Got the spare Firebird chassis stripped down, including removing the 24 can storage unit (if you snowmobiled in the 70’s you know that’s pretty accurate – different times, different times). The SS models did not have this storage unit had really had no storage and I mean no storage, not even a little cheap plastic bin.

Gave it a quick and dirty clean-up (pardon the pun), just to assess the condition. It doesn’t look too bad – no structural cracks or damage. If I decide to use it, I’ll get a little more serious about some additional work on it. I would definitely paint the cross member black like it is on the special edition sled

There are a cou
ple of things that I wish were in better shape but then, my wife says the same thing about me.

DSC_0376.jpg

Well, it l
ooks like Photobucket is trying to shake down everyone to the tune of $400 to allow 3rd party hosting of their images. I liked Photobucket because it provided simple image embedding and photo customization but sorry PB, I'm not going to pony up four bills to continue to use your "free" service. We'll do this another way.

Last edited:

skiroule

Playing with images....I like this better

DSC_0159.JPG

Last edited:

snoluver1

Well, it l
ooks like Photobucket is trying to shake down everyone to the tune of $400 to allow 3rd party hosting of their images. I liked Photobucket because it provided simple image embedding and photo customization but sorry PB, I'm not going to pony up four bills to continue to use your "free" service. We'll do this another way.

Well this is disappointing news! Looks like photobucket will be out of business soon, lol. Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money just to post their own pictures? Man I have a LOT of pictures on there. Wonder if I should start trasfering them to a zip drive or something?

PS: nice progress on the shed!

skiroule

Well this is disappointing news! Looks like photobucket will be out of business soon, lol. Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money just to post their own pictures? Man I have a LOT of pictures on there. Wonder if I should start trasfering them to a zip drive or something?

You still seem to be under the radar so maybe you're OK. They may have tagged me early because I use AdBlock (believe me, the sites know when you're blocking their ads.) As you know, PhotoBucket is notorious for pummeling you with ads.

Yeah, $400 seems more like extortion. If they had asked for, say forty bucks a year, I most likely would have signed up. They have cheaper plans but they don't allow unlimited 3rd party hosting (which is a misleading term because the photo is not really hosted on another site, it's simply linked to the site). My understanding is that you can still download your photos, although I've read a couple of instances where people had issues downloading as well.

It definitely sucks because all of the photos I've posted here and elsewhere are no longer view-able.

give google photos a try. I like it.

Google Photo seems like a cool way to maintain your photos if you are able to insert images using the link. Maybe you could post an example in this thread.