One Man's Trash

skiroule

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SBFpQbZ1IS7fEPc02

- - - Updated - - -

when i tried to insert the image it said "invalid file format" using the url below.

I've also seen this happen at times but then mysteriously work in other cases. Maybe it's a whitespace thing, I don't know. The mechanics of inserting from Google Photos seems to work for me but it doesn't produce the expected result. When I do the insert I get this:

CvpbbzvJeLvVrbYE3

I've seen this before but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe someone out there knows.

Google Blogger isn't really intended to be a photo repository but it does support linking of images that are contained in a blog.

skiroule

The “sled shop” is still a work-in-progress but enough of it is done to start thinking about mixing in some sled work along with the construction.

Also trying out my new sled lift – went with the winch style because I liked the concept. There was a little learning curve for how to make it work with vintage sleds, which have ridiculously low pan/ground clearance and a narrow ski stance but now that I have it dialed in I think it will work awesome.

DSC_0333.JPG

I missed the fair-weather painting window on the 650 project so I decided to take a crack at the 400 in hopes of making it a rider this winter. It has an idle problem and after consulting my mechanical advisor Snoluver1 (some people have a financial advisor, I have a mechanical advisor), we both suspect a crank seal issue. Based on a short test run between garages, this will be a really fun sled to ride if I can solve the idle issue. Hopefully it is the PTO side which is super-easy to change.

I did convert the original Walbro diaphragm carb to a Mikuni float set-up. Found a neat kit that has all the necessary conversion items – carb, fuel pump, cables, etc. No more cranking 20 times to pump fuel up into the carb.

DSC_0336.JPG

snoluver1

No more cranking 20 times to pump fuel up into the carb.

DSC_0336.JPG

Ya know real men take the return line off and blow in it to prime the supply line. Then it only takes like ten pulls to get er' going!

Just busting yer chops of course!:tongue2: Looks like a slick set up!!!

skiroule

Ya know real men take the return line off and blow in it to prime the supply line. Then it only takes like ten pulls to get er' going!

Funny but true, especially for a blowhard like me that should have no trouble creating enough positive tank pressure to push fuel right into the cylinders.

Ordered a clutch puller today that is supposed to work on a Salsbury 910 clutch. If that turns out to be the case, I can use it on both of the Chaps.

skiroule

Waiting for the second coat of mud to dry on the ceiling so figured I'd start a tear-down on the 400 to try to diagnose the idle problem. Lots of grime, some big time exhaust manifold leaks - pretty standard stuff for a vintage sled. Pulled the clutch to get a look at the PTO crank seal.

DSCN3268.JPG

Hard to tell if it's the problem by looking at it but some of the rubber seal retainer pieces are missing. If it's not the problem, it's definitely not helping matters. Time to order some gasket stuff.

DSC_0302.JPG

skiroule

After about a hundred distractions (you'd never know I'm retired) and much frustration with the 400 Chaparral I decided to return to the original scene of the crime for this thread, the 650. It had zero spark so the points were replaced and set. Then it was time for a test firing.

She sounds pretty good, considering she’s running on spray so I think restoration is a go. Will try to finish tearing it down this winter and hopefully have it done by next winter. Pretty amp’ed up about it tonight – love how that 650 sounds.

snoluver1

Sweet!!! That thing sounds mean! Lol. Glad you got her sparkin' again sparky. Thats half the battle right there!��

skiroule

“Sparky”….. funny stuff. It is pretty amazing that these things sit for years and can still be coaxed back to life. This sled is a tad over 45 years old and I have little doubt that it has been at least 25 years since it last ran. Judging by the accumulated debris and mud wasp nests it was pretty much exposed to the elements and didn’t have an easy retirement.

Got the exhaust disconnected so I could pull the engine and start getting psyched up to pull the drive train and chaincase – it can be done, just have to remain calm and not throw things (at least expensive things).

DSC_0015.JPG

You probably wouldn’t know it by looking at it, but this is one of the nicest 72 pans I’ve seen recently. No cracks or major damage. It does have the standard hole punched in the chaincase well, which results from getting whacked by the ski. Not a big deal though.

DSC_0030.JPG

skiroule

Chassis is pretty much down to bedrock. Thinking there will be a bit of a lull in the action now due to the need to accumulate some funds to replace the big air compressor that failed last summer. Also would like to pick up a sand blasting cabinet.

Some parts hunting can go on in the meantime and there are some things that can be done without more shop equipment but it’s so much more efficient when you have the right tools.

The seller had commented about the factory painted cross member, which he said was really unusual. Have to admit, I’ve never seen another painted one. Seemed to be something that was done for this “dealer order” sled and I’m sure I’ll repaint it to match the original.

DSC_0019.JPG

skiroule

I’ve decided that the title of this thread is really appropriate, as it seems like I just move from one pile to another.

After PTO seal replacement resulted in no improvement in the 400 SS I took a break to re-group. The problem was still gnawing at me so I tackled the Mag side seal. This turned out to be the 2-stroke smoking gun. The tension spring on the seal was broken which allowed air to be pulled in around the crank. The problem with the old seal is obvious compared to the replacement.

DSC_0027.JPG

She fires much better now (music courtesy of Donaldson mufflers).

So now both 72 SS sleds are showing running potential, which is a good start for a rider restoration project. I won’t be bored this off-season.

skiroule

Not a big start but I guess I have to start somewhere. After cleaning up two other potential chassis to use for this project, I went back to the original 650 SS chassis. I thought the others might be in better shape but after cleaning that turned out to not be the case. Also, the 650 chassis is a true SS chassis, so it doesn’t have the extra bolt holes/rivet holes in the tunnel that are in the other two standard Firebird tunnels.

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

Need to make a couple more polishing passes then move on to cleaning up the cross member. Once we’re consistently above zero up here in the tundra (still waiting) I can get it outside to pressure wash and de-grease it in preparation for paint. Planning on converting my enclosed trailer into a paint booth this summer. We’ll see how that goes but it should work fine for snowmobile parts.

D

Deleted member 10829

Looking real good Kelly! It looks like a mirror, can't believe it needs any more polishing. Cool shop too!

skiroule

Thanks Mark, I guess I’m treating this project more like a marathon than a sprint. I've always been a Chaparral fan and I wanted a project that was a little out of my comfort zone so this sled was a natural choice. Just hope I’m up to the challenge.

The shop is coming along, although it’s starting to look suspiciously like a man-cave.

D

Deleted member 10829

Perfect, a shop should look like a man cave!! :)

skiroule

OK, show of hands: Who misses this suspension design?

DSC00590.JPG

(Probably no one)

Finally got the sandblasting setup fully operational and I have to say it's, well, a blast. It's not the answer for everything but for a lot of parts it saves hours of sanding and wire brushing. After some blasting and other general cleanup, the bogie wheel assemblies are pretty much done. Need to take a different approach on the wheels, sand and bearings are not a good mix.

DSC00593.JPG

skiroule

Yeah, it's a little silly but I really think I need one of these:

Mailbox_1.jpg

On a thread-related note, I'm hoping I scored a set of 15 NOS bogie wheels today. They are not specifically for Chaparral (Scorpion) but the shaft size matches and the O.D. is very close. Think bearing height could be the only issue. Should know if they will work in a few days.

snoluver1

OK, show of hands: Who misses this suspension design?

DSC00590.JPG

(Probably no one)

It's pretty amazing when you think about all the engineering and tooling/parts that went into producing a bogie suspension. When compared to todays minimalistic approach, it's a wonder manufacturer's could turn a profit? Especially when they were selling sleds back then for less than a grand brand new! Lol

I like the mail box! Right up your alley...er driveway...
A year or 2 ago I was in a local bar and they had a huge Skiroule banner hanging in there for the winter. I was totally blown away that it was in a bar in IL.???? I begged the bar owner to sell it to me but he wouldn't budge. It wasn't his to sell. Guess it was on loan for the season from another patron. I wanted to send it to you for Christmas. Lol! Oh well, its the thought that counts, I guess.

skiroule

That banner would have looked awesome in the "Skiroule Cave" but yes, it is the thought that counts.....

Those bogie wheel suspensions sure didn't lack for moving parts and at the time it seemed like every company had a different version of the same basic concept. Funny thing is, the bogie wheel setups didn't really require a lot of maintenance. The Chaparral bogie wheel sets only required greasing of the three main shafts every year or two. You wouldn't even have to drop the track (or loosen it for that matter) to remove the assemblies.

Unfortunately, few, if any, owners bothered with much suspension maintenance because the manufacturers seemed to downplay any need for it. Many years ago I read an article stating that the manufacturers of the day thought the life expectancy of a sled would be about 3 years. This might explain why many of the moving suspension parts were not even greased from the factory.

Without periodic greasing, the rotating shafts tended to seize and this is the result: Locked-up suspension and constant pounding on the hangers and egged-out mounting holes. Not surprisingly, the ride wasn't much different even after you lost that 2 - 3" of travel :lemo:.

DSC_0070.JPG

Started tearing down the ski/spindle stuff and managed to break the spindle bolts loose (this is a bigger deal than it sounds) but the lower spindle bushings are still frozen on the shafts so they are getting marinated in a bath of WD-40. I don't really need the bushings but I'd prefer to not have to cut them off. Hopefully the marinade will pay off.

DSC00599.JPG

skiroule

The bogie wheel set from Connecticut showed up today and they fit perfectly. It's true, they are Scorpion wheels but from my perspective, I have a brand-new set of 45 year old wheels, complete with new wheel bearings. I'm not intending to build a show sled where this matters. Couple the new wheels with new front/rear shaft and upper chaincase bearings and you've got the whole package.

The gang is all together now and the three main pivot shafts have been greased up the wahzoo and you know that's a lot of grease.

DSC_0079.JPG

skiroule

Nice to have a couple of spurts of progress for a change. Got the cross member painted and re-mounted, along with a little cross member hardware. Have to admit, I like the black contrast.

DSC_0088.JPG

Walleye season re-opens in three weeks so I need to re-group quickly and figure out my next move. Not good for the project when it has to compete with the chase for the elusive Walleye.