Passinig stopped riders

old abe

dothedoo, your post #33 miss quotes me. That is not my statement. What's your interpretation of what constitutes reckless endangerment, as to operating a motor vehicle???

dothedoo

dothedoo, your post #33 miss quotes me. That is not my statement. What's your interpretation of what constitutes reckless endangerment, as to operating a motor vehicle???

Wasn't quoting you....that was a quote from post 31. He jumbled the format, not me.

"Reckless endangerment"....LMAO!

You should seriously consider quitting snowmobiling...I don't think it's for you.

mezz

Bottom line peeps, if you see somebody stopped on the side of the trail, or anywhere for that matter, slow down, observe, act accordingly &/or move on. But don't blow on by just because. This is "OUR" sport & should support it as such. Be observant, be prepared, be that someone who cares about more than yourself. Nuff said.....:applouse::cool:-Mezz

ddhanna

Bottom line peeps, if you see somebody stopped on the side of the trail, or anywhere for that matter, slow down, observe, act accordingly &/or move on. But don't blow on by just because. This is "OUR" sport & should support it as such. Be observant, be prepared, be that someone who cares about more than yourself. Nuff said.....:applouse::cool:-Mezz

I'll get my best people on it.

old abe

Wasn't quoting you....that was a quote from post 31. He jumbled the format, not me.

"Reckless endangerment"....LMAO!

You should seriously consider quitting snowmobiling...I don't think it's for you.

Seems you are real close with the "wardens", I surely thought you would have a interpretation??? DNR is who used that term. It doesn't seem to have any perimeters, such as on, off, in, or out???????????????

dothedoo

Seems you are real close with the "wardens", I surely thought you would have a interpretation??? DNR is who used that term. It doesn't seem to have any perimeters, such as on, off, in, or out???????????????

I get that you didn't understand the law, until I explained it to you. I do not understand how you can continue to argue a black and white issue.

Did you even read the regulations I posted a couple of days ago? You could have saved yourself some embarrassment.

snobuilder

Not that this little debate isn't entertaining, but....

>Hey old abe.....Don't worry about DTD being a butthole on the trail and roosting you and your grandkid as you sit trailside. He is a fine example of what a sledder should be.

If I find myself leading a group on a real busy rr grade and it isn't an emergency or breakdown....I will pick an intersection with a stop sign to pull over at to avoid them who need to fly by too fast.
Putting yourself in harms way just because you think you are "in the right" is foolish.

This debate of good sledder vs. bad sledder behavior has been going on in snowmobile forums since al gore invented the www and many will say it is only getting worse. So what positive effect has all of the whining by the self proclaimed "good sledders" done????

Last edited:

old abe

I get that you didn't understand the law, until I explained it to you. I do not understand how you can continue to argue a black and white issue.

Did you even read the regulations I posted a couple of days ago? You could have saved yourself some embarrassment.

I had read the regs/law prior to ever hearing of you. No embarrassment here!!! But when I inquired about some of the thoughts some people have posted, such as yours, I found DNR and AWSC, differ greatly from your thoughts/interpretations, and informed me of theirs. As in careless, endangers, reckless, and so on. I will follow their interpretation, not yours. Very few times do I encounter stopped sleds, without someone being off of his sled. What happens when someone not knowing you are approaching, gets off his sled, as you arrive????????? Be careful, and be safe. That is all anyone asks for. Common courtesy. Thank you snobuilder, I'll take your word on that!!!

L

lenny

Not that this little debate isn't entertaining, but....

>Hey old abe.....Don't worry about DTD being a butthole on the trail and roosting you and your grandkid as you sit trailside. He is a fine example of what a sledder should be.

If I find myself leading a group on a real busy rr grade and it isn't an emergency or breakdown....I will pick an intersection with a stop sign to pull over at to avoid them who need to fly by too fast.
Putting yourself in harms way just because you think you are "in the right" is foolish.

This debate of good sledder vs. bad sledder behavior has been going on in snowmobile forums since al gore invented the www and many will say it is only getting worse. So what positive effect has all of the whining by the self proclaimed "good sledders" done????
You make a good point and it’s good advise. I know this is a personal preference but it’s safer to not stop trailside if you can avoid it. Stoping at the intersection is safer because some people have little to no concern for others. It’s a shame it’s this way but what is the alternative, possibly getting run over or your sled damaged is not worth it.

brad460

I can’t figure out why people are always stopping on the side of the trail. Unless you blew a belt or broke down (or some emergency) wait until you get to a large open area or intersection..(as SnoB mentions)...99% of the time it’s some group screwing around shooting the **** and complaining about how bumpy the trails are.

Not only do I need to watch for folks coming toward me, I am sick of idiots parked along the side of a wooded or narrow trail or even a railroad bed..People doing this are irresponsible snowmobilers..But funny how it becomes about how fast snowmobilers are passing these idiots.

dothedoo

But when I inquired about some of the thoughts some people have posted, such as yours, I found DNR and AWSC, differ greatly from your thoughts/interpretations, and informed me of theirs. As in careless, endangers, reckless, and so on. I will follow their interpretation, not yours.

Here's where you f'n piss me off, and I'm not going to let you go. The DNR, AWSC, and ME all know/understand/agree on the law as I've stated. You are either stupid, or lying, to state otherwise.

old abe

This all started because lives have been lost, and injuries occurred. Yes, the stopping on the trail is not a bad idea, and it's dangerous, no matter what the trail is like. snobuilder, and lenny are right on stopping at intersections!!! Plus, that's where you can watch people blow stop signs either unknowingly, or just plain careless!!! But the trail side stopping happens, and will continue too. So will the blowing stop signs. Be sensible, and be safe!!!

C

Cirrus_Driver

@Brad460....I think a lot of that is inexperienced or new snowmobilers that lack common sense. I was out riding with 2 millennials, my son and a friend 2 weeks ago. The friend was having problems with being cold and his sled, and he kept stopping side by side in the trail. I'm yelling at him with a Modular helmet on, and of course that didn't work. One time he was sitting side by side in back of me, and a big group came up on him....I yelled at him and waved to get OFF the trail. He runs by me instead of just pulling right. Clueless. I ALWAYS look for a turn around, open area OFF the trail, when I have to stop. People don't understand how dangerous it is. No more inexperienced riders in my group.

brad460

@Brad460....I think a lot of that is inexperienced or new snowmobilers that lack common sense. I was out riding with 2 millennials, my son and a friend 2 weeks ago. The friend was having problems with being cold and his sled, and he kept stopping side by side in the trail. I'm yelling at him with a Modular helmet on, and of course that didn't work. One time he was sitting side by side in back of me, and a big group came up on him....I yelled at him and waved to get OFF the trail. He runs by me instead of just pulling right. Clueless. I ALWAYS look for a turn around, open area OFF the trail, when I have to stop. People don't understand how dangerous it is. No more inexperienced riders in my group.

I can completely sympathize with you on this...I’ll be honest..I won’t ride with inexperience riders, but I give you credit for your patience in doing so.

ICT Sledder

I had read the regs/law prior to ever hearing of you. No embarrassment here!!! But when I inquired about some of the thoughts some people have posted, such as yours, I found DNR and AWSC, differ greatly from your thoughts/interpretations, and informed me of theirs. As in careless, endangers, reckless, and so on. I will follow their interpretation, not yours. Very few times do I encounter stopped sleds, without someone being off of his sled. What happens when someone not knowing you are approaching, gets off his sled, as you arrive????????? Be careful, and be safe. That is all anyone asks for. Common courtesy. Thank you snobuilder, I'll take your word on that!!!

While operating a motor vehicle, do you assume every person you pass on the sidewalk or working in their yard is going to suddenly run out in front of you? Do you slow down to 10 MPH while passing them (no matter the street) because you are concerned for their safety and the possibility of a citation for reckless behavior from law enforcement?

These regulations exist so that LEO's can write up the truly careless types for asinine and anti-social behavior - the people who are truly in violation of common sense - not so they can get out radar guns and survey equipment to make sure you weren't doing 16 MPH past the guy clearing snow off of his porch 75 feet away.

It is called being reasonable and sensible. The huge majority (but unfortunately not all) of those in law enforcement careers understand the nuance of Letter of the Law versus Spirit of the Law.

sweeperguy

While operating a motor vehicle, do you assume every person you pass on the sidewalk or working in their yard is going to suddenly run out in front of you? Do you slow down to 10 MPH while passing them (no matter the street) because you are concerned for their safety and the possibility of a citation for reckless behavior ......................

NO but people in their front yard or on sidewalk are not likely to stumble because of big winter boots that they are not used to.
Or hook their boot on a toe loop and fall into the trail. I've seen people have their boot catch on their seat while getting off and stumble clear across the trail into the far snowbank.
If any of these things happen and the stopped rider didn't look to see you coming, you could kill them.
THESE REGULATIONS EXIST (and if not the law it only makes sense to slow while passing stopped sleds) to keep people from getting injured or killed. NOT so LEO's have the ability to write tickets for truly careless or anti-social behavior.

ICT Sledder

If I had a dollar for everytime I've seen someone passed on the trail, or been passed myself on the trail, by another rider or group of riders doing a literal 10 MPH or less then I'd still be looking for a dollar. Say 15 MPH to 25 MPH then sure, that's typical, or what someone might call the "social norm" in this situation.

The legal concept of "Reasonable and Prudent" exists in many facets of our legal codification for a reason.

snobuilder

Dialing 911 to report a trail roost probably won't get you good results....instead just put yourself in a safe place til the potential danger some of you are so worried about passes.

What happened in Eagle 17's family tragedy doesn't seem to have a clear answer as to what exactly took place....if I am wrong and there are clear findings please post them..... now that it is 2 years removed.

1fujifilm

Instead just put yourself in a safe place til the potential danger some of you are so worried about passes.

I totally agree, DO NOT STOP ON THE TRAIL EXCEPT AT TRAIL CROSSINGS WHERE THERE IS A STOP SIGN.
Then, pull all the way off the trail; if the trail is 12 feet wide, STAY OUT OF THE 12 FOOT TRAIL.

Bear