Passinig stopped riders

frnash

I believe the section your referring to is addressing while operating on a snowmobile route within cities, towns & villages. It does not pertain to the "trail". At least, it does not address the "trail" specifically. …
In the absence of wordage specifically referring to either "trail" or "route within cities, towns & villages", I'd have to believe it applies anywhere. I'm not sure how you can assume otherwise.

My "interpretation" is exactly the same as those who instruct, and enforce the law.

I had a Warden remind me of the law while on the trail, and I actually know the law. What is your point of reference?

Page 10, for your reference. You're welcome.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/le0201_2014.pdf
Nope...any time you're within 100ft of someone not on/in a vehicle/snowmobile, max speed is 10mph. …
"100ft"? Umm… nope, Read it again!

From the link (verbatim):
Distance, Hours and Speed Restrictions

You must yield the right of way and slow your snowmobile to 10 mph or less when you are riding a snowmobile within 100 fee [sic] of a person who is not on a snowmobile, or in or on a vehicle, or when you are riding within 100-feet of an ice fishing shanty, except when you are operating on a privately owned raceway facility.

When you are riding a snowmobile between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 7:00 am [sic] and you are riding within 150 feet of a home or dwelling, you must slow your snowmobile to 10-mph or less. …

1. "… within 100 fee [sic] of a person who is not on a snowmobile, or in or on a vehicle …"?
    (I wonder how one measures a "fee"? Probably with your wallet?)
  2. "10:30 a.m.", but "7:00 am"?
    Who wrote this, a second-grade English class, or the Wisconsin DNR ("[We] Do Not Rite")?

Last edited:

ezra

Your interpretation differs greatly from those who instruct, and enforce the rule of law??????????????

this is true. I have sat in on snowmobile training 2 times in the last few yrs and dont remember anything about not having to slow down because some one was sitting on there sled . I do not recall a exact speed but I do know they talked about it . something like just enough throttle to maintain forward momentum . that is MN .

mezz

I am not trying to proclaim law in any way shape or form. What I am trying to express is a common courtesy amongst us all as a whole. I don't want to get into a debate over what rules apply from state to state, what it all boils down to is slow down when you see others pulled over, after all, it could be you. There is no shame in showing kindness to others much less precaution. Just a little common sense is all.-Mezz

DamageInc

this is true. I have sat in on snowmobile training 2 times in the last few yrs and dont remember anything about not having to slow down because some one was sitting on there sled . I do not recall a exact speed but I do know they talked about it . something like just enough throttle to maintain forward momentum . that is MN .

Why don't you just look it up, instead of trying to remember what you heard?

The WI statute was posted above (no more than 10 mph within 100 feet of a person who is not on a snowmobile). The MI statute only applies on ice: •On the frozen surface of public waters within 100 feet of a person, including a skater, not in or upon a snowmobile or within 100 feet of a fishing shanty or shelter except at the minimum speed required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile, or on an area that has been cleared for ice skating, unless the area is necessary for gaining access to the public water.
•Within 100 feet of a dwelling between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. at a speed greater than the minimum required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile.

So yeah, there is no requirement to slow down when passing a parked snowmobile with a person on it (other than common courtesy). You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

old abe

Yes, there is a requirement you may want to look at??? It is illegal to operate your snowmobile in the following manner; at speeds that are unreasonable, or improper. In a careless manner so that it endangers a "person, or property". Most of the time when I encounter stopped sleds along the trail, there seems to always be people off of their sled, for what ever reason. 10 mph rule!!! Just be responsible, and don't endanger others. That seems to be all people are requesting.

harski

State laws don't apply to common courtesy! It seems like society is in a spiral of a me first, hypocritical, doesn't apply to me standard until they need it to apply to them! My opinion, and I believe the opinions of the reasonable people on here is, slow down when you see others stopped on the trail, ice fishing, and etc... Slowing down to avoid an accident isn't going to ruin your ride. A friendly wave or thumbs up to see if someone needs help won't hurt either as it may be YOU one day that needs help! It's just common courtesy, its' really simple!!

Harski

ezra

Why don't you just look it up, instead of trying to remember what you heard?

The WI statute was posted above (no more than 10 mph within 100 feet of a person who is not on a snowmobile). The MI statute only applies on ice: •On the frozen surface of public waters within 100 feet of a person, including a skater, not in or upon a snowmobile or within 100 feet of a fishing shanty or shelter except at the minimum speed required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile, or on an area that has been cleared for ice skating, unless the area is necessary for gaining access to the public water.
•Within 100 feet of a dwelling between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. at a speed greater than the minimum required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile.

So yeah, there is no requirement to slow down when passing a parked snowmobile with a person on it (other than common courtesy). You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

because what I heard was in a snowmobile training class I volunteer at from time to time when needed and out of the mouth of the snowmobile training instructor. and as I said that is MN .you are posting WI MI and what you are posting is wide open to interpretation

dothedoo

because what I heard was in a snowmobile training class I volunteer at from time to time when needed and out of the mouth of the snowmobile training instructor. and as I said that is MN .you are posting WI MI and what you are posting is wide open to interpretation

Not even slightly open to interpretation. There is no grey area to the definition of in/on a vehicle.

dothedoo

Well what ever the law is only an IDIOT would fly past someone that was stopped especially if they had not made at least eye contact with them.

Of course...and nobody is debating that.

Some though, don't understand what a "pedestrian" is, and how they receive special protection when it comes to motor vehicles. I sure as **** hope these people don't drive a car. lol

UP RIDER

When you do have to stop on the Trail please pull tight to the side. Yesterday on 3 just south of Houghton I came up behind a couple that were stopped side by side right in the middle of the trail talking and totally oblivious to it.

DamageInc

LOL, it is not at all "open to interpretation". If you are on a snowmobile, then the 10mph rule does not apply, period. And in MI, the law only applies to frozen waters, not trails.

Here is the link to MN snowmobile regs. Please find the section (about a 10mph rule for passing parked snowmobiles) and post it. We'll wait. http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/snowmobile/snowmobileregs.pdf

racerxnet

The whole point of the thread is to use common sense and slow down when approaching stopped riders on the trail. If others didn't have something to Biitch about, the the thread would be half the size. Carry on!

MAK

snobuilder

I see 'ol Albert, Red from that 70's show and me are a lot alike in our view of dumbasses.....this is a great place to observe the finest.

...I slow down to 10,....< well you suck....I slow down to 9,....< you both stink,...I get off and push.

xcr440

When you do have to stop on the Trail please pull tight to the side. Yesterday on 3 just south of Houghton I came up behind a couple that were stopped side by side right in the middle of the trail talking and totally oblivious to it.

If only everyone knew what they were doing all the time.