Passinig stopped riders

harski

Seeing a thread re-posted about a trailside accident made me think of the past week of riding and how fast I witnessed people going by me as I was stopped. It's amazing how fast people go and accelerating at a high rate too? Why? What are you proving? What's too fast? What's too slow? I always crawl as you never know if someone is paying attention or can't hear you cuz of their helmet. It's amazing more people aren't killed or injured! Be careful out there folks!

Harski

euphoric1

Does anyone know if the sledders responsible ever came forward, stayed at scene or were caught that actually hit the woman on the trail?

harvest1121

Everyone should slow up when passing people that are stopped. Also make sure you are on the right side when you stop hate when people stop on both sides or the trail.

whitedust

If you blow by a stopped sled or sleds at high speed you are an Ahole.... Stop wait for thumbs up & help if if needed.

xcr440

Had a funny experience last week - there was a deer that the wolves had gotten, and the carcus what right on the edge of the trail, fur spread out for 50 feet in both directions.

As I'm coming up to it for the second time, I see two sleds stopped on the trail, with the two guys standing in the middle of the trail looking at it, with their backs to me. I literally came upon them, to a complete stop, and they still didn't realize I was behind them. As one guy turns around, and then the second, the look on their faces was priceless when they see me sitting there about 10 feet from them on my sled.

Waved and had a good laugh, as I'm sure there was a shart dropped on that one!

Point is, EXPECT someone to be stopped, and be prepared to stop for them. Nothing happens that way, and everyone can have a little laugh at the end of the day.

rp7x

Grandson just went through sled safety in Wisconsin , going past stoped sleds you are required to reduce speed to 10 mph

ICT Sledder

When I see a group of stopped sledders I personally like to stop real quick, put my helmet mohawk on, take off my windshield and muffler, adjust my handle bars so that it is obvious I am a stand-up only pro rider, and then go ahead and ride past them standing up and revving the engine, constantly engaging/disengaging the clutch, so that I can hopefully burn through my belt right in front of them in an ultimate display of badassery.

Yep... not everyone is cut out for hardcore 10 hour and 27 mile days of sledding dominance.

I believe it is all detailed in a how-to FAQ somewhere over at snowest.

dothedoo

Grandson just went through sled safety in Wisconsin , going past stoped sleds you are required to reduce speed to 10 mph

It's actually 10mph when passing within 100ft of someone not on a sled, or in a vehicle. So, if people are stopped on the side of the trail and sitting on their sled, the 10mph limit does not apply.

ezra

Yep... not everyone is cut out for hardcore 10 hour and 27 mile days of sledding dominance.

I believe it is all detailed in a how-to FAQ somewhere over at snowest.

I think those people are called smarmy little diamond pounders

old abe

It's actually 10mph when passing within 100ft of someone not on a sled, or in a vehicle. So, if people are stopped on the side of the trail and sitting on their sled, the 10mph limit does not apply.

Fyi; at speeds that are unreasonable, or improper. In a careless manner so that it endangers a person or property. If people are present with their sled, the 10mph, applies.

Last edited:

harski

If you blow by a stopped sled or sleds at high speed you are an Ahole.... Stop wait for thumbs up & help if if needed.

Exactly! I usually crawl by with a thumbs up to groups of 3 or less to make sure folks are okay. I give a friendly wave to anything over 3. The gist of this whole thing is to say that people need to slow the H@LL down when passing by stopped sleds.

Harski

dothedoo

Fyi; at speeds that are unreasonable, or improper. In a careless manner so that it endangers a person or property. If people are present with their sled, the 10mph, applies.

As I said, if people are standing next to their sled, yes, the law is 10mph. If they are stopped along the side of the trail, but sitting on their sled, the 10mph speed limit does not apply.

old abe

As I said, if people are standing next to their sled, yes, the law is 10mph. If they are stopped along the side of the trail, but sitting on their sled, the 10mph speed limit does not apply.

Your interpretation differs greatly from those who instruct, and enforce the rule of law??????????????

mezz

My "interpretation" is exactly the same as those who instruct, and enforce the law.

I had a Warden remind me of the law while on the trail, and I actually know the law. What is your point of reference?

Page 10, for your reference. You're welcome.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/le0201_2014.pdf

I believe the section your referring to is addressing while operating on a snowmobile route within cities, towns & villages. It does not pertain to the "trail". At least, it does not address the "trail" specifically. Thank you..... A little common sense not to mention courtesy to others are better served when you slow down just in case.:encouragement::cool:-Mezz

dothedoo

I believe the section your referring to is addressing while operating on a snowmobile route within cities, towns & villages. It does not pertain to the "trail". At least, it does not address the "trail" specifically. Thank you..... A little common sense not to mention courtesy to others are better served when you slow down just in case.:encouragement::cool:-Mezz

Nope...any time you're within 100ft of someone not on/in a vehicle/snowmobile, max speed is 10mph. Trail, lake, etc., doesn't matter.

I had a Warden very thoroughly, and politely, explain this to me on a stretch of RR grade in 2007. lol