Pocket Pistol for Concealed Carry

rvrbum4

OK friends, I need your input. I am looking to get a small semi-auto pistol for concealed carry and I really can't decide which one.
I'm already pretty well set on a .380 because of the easily concealable size. Here are my options so far:
S&W BODYGUARD - I think the laser is neat but don't know if I would ever use it. Plus the laser makes it bulkier and I have read some reviews that say they have trouble with a laser screw jamming the slide. No good for self-defense! TAURUS TCP - I like pretty much everything about this gun and can't find any bad reviews so far, sounds reliable. No laser but I can add it later if I want. RUGER LCP - Nice compact size, reliable, just looks kinda odd. No laser but can add it later if I want.
What do any of you carry, wish you could buy, or would not buy??
I need honest opinions.....and yes price is a factor.
Thanks,
Kurt

chop

The one thing I will recommend is to try them all before you buy. The grips on these tiny guns fit everyones hands differently and you may think you have found the perfect one until you shoot it and lose your grip.

Some gun shops have a rental cabinet. For a small fee you can shoot your potential purchase before you drop the money. I go up to Shooters in Racine Wi. Its like an extra $8 on top of the range fees to rent.

I have the LCP and I love it. My girlfriend hates it though. Her hands arent as strong so when she fires the gun creeps up in her hand and she has to regrip. The funny thing is, she loves the LCR in .357. She can shoot that all day with no complaints. I also would recommend the LCR if you were going the revolver route. Its very light and compact for the caliber. And also really comfortable to shoot.

slimcake

I have the taurus version of a J frame. Like it alot. I also just picked up a sig sauer p290 with laser in 9 mm. Thats prolly where my cc path will lead to. Nice to have a little more stopping power so I have thought about a 911 but gets kinda heavy....

bobt

Early BG380 had lots of issues with lazers and broken firing pins, I think they took care of the problems.

LCP's are offered with & without lazers.

Try CDNN in Texas or Bud's for best prices.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MJL

My wife has the Ruger LCP 380 with the crimson trace laser front of the trigger guard and loves it. The 380 will ruin a bad guys day just was well. There is not much a fixed sight on those so if you were in a panic situation the laser would help. If she is not carrying it I am, it may not be for a guy with big hands which I am not. Try them all in the store. I am searching for a smaller 40 to carry since my Glock 23 is little chunky.

jerkbait_1075

LASER,LASER,LASER all the way..... For personal protection, any type of self defensive, with be reactionary, potentially single handed, out of position, shooting on the move. I am a police officer and shoot for qualification purposes 4 times a year. All of my off duty guns have lasers. Because I know that should the day come where I have to defend myself or my family in a private or public setting it is in all likely hood going to be a 1 to 2 second very intense event. Target aquisition in these heat of the moment events is simple, fast, and deadly with a laser. Just my two cents.

Personally i like my Glock 27 .40 cal. Subcompact with a Crimson Trace laser. I wear it on my ankle and it is easily concealed with regular blue jeans, I can easily were it in my inside the waistband holder, and it fits easily in any coat or jacket pocket.

Lots of nice ruger products on the market as well.

My local manufacturer Springfield Armory has a Awesome Line of XD models that are also great for personal protection

russholio

I bought the Bodyguard for my wife a couple years ago. She liked the way it fit her hand, but it's difficult to shoot (even for me). Super light weight = lots of recoil. Easily concealable, yes. Fun to shoot, no. We sold it and are now looking for a small 9mm for her. She likes the Ruger LC9 as far as fit and feel go, but we'll rent one and try it out before pulling the trigger (pun intended).

I personally have a Kimber .45. Love how it feels and shoots, but with a 4" barrel it's heavy and not easily concealable. When I get some extra $$ I may look into getting another with a 3" barrel. Or I may look for something in a bit smaller caliber (no less than 9mm, maybe a .40).

Springfield XDM 3.8 compact in any caliber is hard to beat(price and quality). I also have a 4.3 xdm love them both, try buds guns in AK for best prices.

lofsfire

Springfield XDM 3.8 compact in any caliber is hard to beat(price and quality). I also have a 4.3 xdm love them both, try buds guns in AK for best prices.

I was going to say the same thing I love my Springfield XDS 45 with the extend mag you get a full size grip. The 45 has 5+1 or extend is 7+1 or local gun shows, watch for the guy selling allot or the guy not selling anything, They like to deal the best.

skutr

The Ruger LCP 380 is a nice little gun that fits easily into a front pocket but the Ruger LC9 (9 mm) has more knock down power and is only a fraction larger. It also has a manual safety and the slide locks open after the last round is fired. I've got the LC9 and I love it.

anonomoose

Lama .22 hollow point bullet....and as Jerk says....lazer all the way...no brainer on target, low recoil, cheap ammo...so you can shoot without your wallet bleeding.

It's all you need....unless you are shootin out engine blocks.

rvrbum4

The Ruger LCP 380 is a nice little gun that fits easily into a front pocket but the Ruger LC9 (9 mm) has more knock down power and is only a fraction larger. It also has a manual safety and the slide locks open after the last round is fired. I've got the LC9 and I love it.
You've got me thinking.........now I may go 9mm. What do you think about Kel tec PF9? It's quite a bit cheaper.

russholio

Lama .22 hollow point bullet....and as Jerk says....lazer all the way...no brainer on target, low recoil, cheap ammo...so you can shoot without your wallet bleeding.

It's all you need....unless you are shootin out engine blocks.

.22 is better than nothing, but....hope you're not dealing with somebody who's whacked out on drugs! Personally (and obviously I truly hope it never happens) I'd rather put the baddy down (or "stop the aggression", as they teach) with as few shots as possible....preferably only one. Every round you have to fire means 1) the baddy is getting that much closer to you, and 2) there's the possibility that you can miss the intended target and strike an unintended target (if there are any in the vicinity).

Just like 2 stroke oil, personal preference and to each his own, I guess. But I don't think I've ever heard anybody speak favorably of the .22 as a primary carry weapon. Still, it's better than a straw and spit wad.

russholio

Whatever you get - practice practice practice practice practice.

For sure....and remember also, in order for lots of practice the gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, she probably won't be inclined to want to practice much. Generally, the smaller and lighter they get, the more felt recoil there is -- which could turn even a mild caliber into something that isn't fun to shoot.

skutr

Yes it's got a long trigger pull but I'm getting used to it. You just have to hold your steady stance a little longer when target shooting but in a self defense situation your probably not going to notice.