Pocket Pistol for Concealed Carry

ILDitchBanger

I have a XD9 Subcompact I may be interested in getting rid of. I bought it for the wife a year ago but she has yet to shoot it. I have run a box through the gun so it is like new. When Illinois finally puts concell carry on the books I will probably carry either of my 2 other XD's, I have a XD 4 inch and just bought a XDM 5.25 Competition last week.

Bradzoo

My wife has a LCP with a crimson trace, lazer is nice, doesn't fit my hand, I have a Taurus PT140 as a carry gun, have not had any problems with either, For Christmas this year she got me a Colt Delta Elite 10mm but its a bit to big to carry except when its cold out. You might want to try a Ruger SR9C also

Bradzoo

harvest1121

I have a few XDM's also. I they get a little bulky if I was going to conceal carry them. I do have a Ruger Lc9 that fits my hand perfect. The grip is plenty long and complete control

2013-01-27_08-52-47_870.jpg

olsmann

Ruger LCP 380. good little gun. But keep in mind all these little frame guns are not all that fun as a shooter. The frames are just to small so they are real snappy. If you put 100 rounds thru them at a range you know what I mean. (though some are better) Also, with regard to cal. Obviously the first rule of a gun fight is to bring a gun! BUT a 22 I believe is just to light. YES it is deadly no question whatsoever! But shot placement is so critical with a 22 and in a split second defense situation it isn likely you will be real accurate. Hows the old saying go? "a 22 will kill someone............tomorrow" A 380 is really the minimum cal. you should carry. Everthing is a trade off or give and take when it comes to a conceal carry weapons. But thats ok! it gives you a reason to buy more guns !!! If my wife can have a different pair of shoes for each outfit, Why cant I have a different pistol for each outfit? HEE HEE!!!!

anonomoose

.22 is better than nothing, but....hope you're not dealing with somebody who's whacked out on drugs! Personally (and obviously I truly hope it never happens) I'd rather put the baddy down (or "stop the aggression", as they teach) with as few shots as possible....preferably only one. Every round you have to fire means 1) the baddy is getting that much closer to you, and 2) there's the possibility that you can miss the intended target and strike an unintended target (if there are any in the vicinity).

Just like 2 stroke oil, personal preference and to each his own, I guess. But I don't think I've ever heard anybody speak favorably of the .22 as a primary carry weapon. Still, it's better than a straw and spit wad.

Let's analysis this a minute.

Recoil is an issue with hand guns. Anyone who shoots knows that you have to deal with it on any handgun and the bigger the cal the more of a problem getting back on target and controlling the gun. Experienced shooters adapt to it nicely but for most folks who aren't out shooting all the time, it is difficult to adjust to because it is just there.

Women are particularly sensitive to recoil and therefore there is always that hesitation to shoot or to pull the trigger.

22 cals are very light so they carry well. Ammo is super cheap so you can shoot and practice without breaking the bank or spending a tank load of gas on doing it.

It is an excellent training caliber. So younger shooters can begin with it without dealing with the massive recoil thing.

Another advantage is that once fired (if you use hollow point) it won't continue to go thru walls and hit some unintended target next door or across the house.

As far as knock down power is concerned...I would not hesitate to shoot a 300 lb man with it....as the bullet will open up his chest, blow a leg off, or about anything else you want to do with it. Don't believe the power of a 22 cal hollow point? Go shoot a jug of water, or pumpkin....

I have done my fair share of shooting game with it and know that it will do great damage to a deer, enough to bring it down and a man isn't much different. Again the ability to get back on target quickly and effective means that you can unload on any attacker and bring the situation to a quick end...and that means anyone who might be using this weapon including a teenager or younger child.

It won't go thru engine blocks, or shoot thru a car/truck, or shoot beyond 50 yards well.....but for all around use and personal protection, it's all you really need. If you use the arm to occasionally go deer hunting or to shoot buffalo....get a big caliber piece.

If you only keep it at home....a shotgun is a far more effective weapon that won't miss. Both of my daughters and my wife are able to shoot both and they know it is their last line of defense. It makes them feel save knowing they can shoot and hit whatever they aim at and it makes me confident to know that if necessary, while I am gone, that they are protected.

whitedust

Just curious why all you think you need conceal carry weapons? I have a hard time remembering to take my phone with me & when I do sometimes don't turn it on.lol Now I have to take a gun with me to the grocery store or the bank drive thru?

Modman440

I have a glock 45. By No means is it the smallest or easiest to hide but I love the gun for its shooting comfort and reliability

anonomoose

Because they can!

Ignorance is bliss...some go thru life without a single worry about what can happen to them if they confront life threatening danger. Their ancestors knew precisely how important self protect is/was. We have grown complacent because a weapon now basically only has one use, self protection and up until recently the need for protection was basically non-existent. But the world is changing and there are those who KNOW that you are unlikely to be able to protect yourself and will exploit that weakness to their own gain. Morals out the window/door. You only need to click the button at news time to see what a culture we now live in and how it has changed from only a decade or two ago.

Everybody lives in a different environment and drives thru areas that are not that friendly. If you trip down I-94 at odd hours, you may find yourself needing protection. If you live out on the farm in SD....it's a waste of time except for in your home.

The way the laws are today, if you have a gun and use it to protect yourself, you are far better off to have a concealed weapon permit and permit to carry than if you simply have a permit to own.

Lots of folks "thought" that they never needed personal protection who would do so in a heart beat NOW but have become worm meat because of that error.

There is nothing wrong in erroring on the side of caution and never needing it. But if you ever do need it, and have to use it to save your bacon....you will never regret having it when you did. This is a violent world we live in and it is increasing. You can't count on a cop being at the right place at the right time to save you. You have to take personal responsibility for your own protection, and you should do it with full respect for what you need it for. Be a responsible gun owner is a duty not an option. It does NOT mean that it an "either or" process.

There is confidence in knowing that you are able to defend yourself in any event should that need ever arise. Finding out that you SHOULD have had protection is like closing the barn door after the horses get out, except that perhaps you paid a hefty price and maybe there is NO do-overs.

I used to carry all the time...as there was a good need for it. I have since changed life styles and really don't need to carry anymore. But I still go thru all the hoops to keep the permit because if I let it go, I might regret it some day.

russholio

Recoil is an issue with hand guns. Anyone who shoots knows that you have to deal with it on any handgun and the bigger the cal the more of a problem getting back on target and controlling the gun. Experienced shooters adapt to it nicely but for most folks who aren't out shooting all the time, it is difficult to adjust to because it is just there.

Women are particularly sensitive to recoil and therefore there is always that hesitation to shoot or to pull the trigger.

22 cals are very light so they carry well. Ammo is super cheap so you can shoot and practice without breaking the bank or spending a tank load of gas on doing it.

It is an excellent training caliber. So younger shooters can begin with it without dealing with the massive recoil thing.

Another advantage is that once fired (if you use hollow point) it won't continue to go thru walls and hit some unintended target next door or across the house.

As far as knock down power is concerned...I would not hesitate to shoot a 300 lb man with it....as the bullet will open up his chest, blow a leg off, or about anything else you want to do with it. Don't believe the power of a 22 cal hollow point? Go shoot a jug of water, or pumpkin....

I have done my fair share of shooting game with it and know that it will do great damage to a deer, enough to bring it down and a man isn't much different. Again the ability to get back on target quickly and effective means that you can unload on any attacker and bring the situation to a quick end...and that means anyone who might be using this weapon including a teenager or younger child.

It won't go thru engine blocks, or shoot thru a car/truck, or shoot beyond 50 yards well.....but for all around use and personal protection, it's all you really need. If you use the arm to occasionally go deer hunting or to shoot buffalo....get a big caliber piece.

If you only keep it at home....a shotgun is a far more effective weapon that won't miss. Both of my daughters and my wife are able to shoot both and they know it is their last line of defense. It makes them feel save knowing they can shoot and hit whatever they aim at and it makes me confident to know that if necessary, while I am gone, that they are protected.

I got but one question: if it works so well on deer, why is it illegal to hunt them with a .22? If they work so well on baddies, why doesn't law enforcement use them? Sorry, but I remain unconvinced. Nonetheless....if you're satisfied with it and it works for you, that's all that counts.

Just curious why all you think you need conceal carry weapons? I have a hard time remembering to take my phone with me & when I do sometimes don't turn it on.lol Now I have to take a gun with me to the grocery store or the bank drive thru?

Because we can, it's our right, and we prefer not to be a victim if we possibly can avoid it.

Because they can!

Ignorance is bliss...some go thru life without a single worry about what can happen to them if they confront life threatening danger. Their ancestors knew precisely how important self protect is/was. We have grown complacent because a weapon now basically only has one use, self protection and up until recently the need for protection was basically non-existent. But the world is changing and there are those who KNOW that you are unlikely to be able to protect yourself and will exploit that weakness to their own gain. Morals out the window/door. You only need to click the button at news time to see what a culture we now live in and how it has changed from only a decade or two ago.

Everybody lives in a different environment and drives thru areas that are not that friendly. If you trip down I-94 at odd hours, you may find yourself needing protection.

There is nothing wrong in erroring on the side of caution and never needing it. But if you ever do need it, and have to use it to save your bacon....you will never regret having it when you did. This is a violent world we live in and it is increasing. You can't count on a cop being at the right place at the right time to save you. You have to take personal responsibility for your own protection, and you should do it with full respect for what you need it for. Be a responsible gun owner is a duty not an option. It does NOT mean that it an "either or" process.

Well-said.

millertime

The XD Sub is a great gun and the price is not bad. I love mine, my other CC is a Walther PPS which is a great light weight gun. I have the 9MM, they also make it in a 40 and have a 380 in a different model (P380 I believe).
As for the Kel Tec, it is a cheap gun, but really is not a bad gun. It is great for personal protection and relieable, however if you plan to go to the range a bunch with it and dump 200+ rounds each time through it....well it won't last that long.

whitedust

I have a bunch of guns at home the 44mag is loaded & ready to shoot mostly in case a bad bear gets cranky but chances are slim. I have traveled all over USA remote & big cities good areas & very bad. Never needed a gun even in the slums of New Orleans always been aware of my suroundings to keep out of trouble. I was mugged in Chicago by 6 guys & punched my way out of that mess with nothing more than a fat lip. Now I could have used a gun during that mess but glad I didn't they ran away over & done. Sure I will have guns at home but conceal & carry not necessary for me. I'll talk or punch my way of a bad situation don't need a gun to go about my biz.

olsmann

I have one thing to say about he the recoil/22 argument. And this goes for every single person who carries concealed and NOT just women. Please TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!!! and when you have finshed training.......... TRAIN some more. Take the wife to the range with you if she is skiddish of recoil and have her shoot tons. Start small and work your way up. For most women the recoil is a mental thing and with training they get over it. If my wife is home alone and some big methed up dude kicks the door in and all she has is a 22, then fine I hope she is able to get 6-10 rounds off before he kills her, but a more realistic senario id she may only get one shot off. And if thats the case I want it to tear as big a hole in the perp as possible.

olsmann

I have a bunch of guns at home the 44mag is loaded & ready to shoot mostly in case a bad bear gets cranky but chances are slim. I have traveled all over USA remote & big cities good areas & very bad. Never needed a gun even in the slums of New Orleans always been aware of my suroundings to keep out of trouble. I was mugged in Chicago by 6 guys & punched my way out of that mess with nothing more than a fat lip. Now I could have used a gun during that mess but glad I didn't they ran away over & done. Sure I will have guns at home but conceal & carry not necessary for me. I'll talk or punch my way of a bad situation don't need a gun to go about my biz.

I dont fault you for this opinion one single bit. Its not for everybody. I for one would have probably gotton my *** handed to me in your senario

russholio

I was mugged in Chicago by 6 guys & punched my way out of that mess with nothing more than a fat lip. Now I could have used a gun during that mess but glad I didn't they ran away over & done.

Not necessarily.....in Michigan, at least, you're not justified in using deadly force unless you believe your life is in immediate danger.

I'll talk or punch my way of a bad situation don't need a gun to go about my biz.

And hope that your attacker is willing to listen to your reasoning. Fighting one's way out? Maybe for some....but there are others of us who are not physically imposing figures, and/or couldn't fight our way out of an outhouse.

Everybody's situations and needs are different.

russholio

I have one thing to say about he the recoil/22 argument. And this goes for every single person who carries concealed and NOT just women. Please TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!!! and when you have finshed training.......... TRAIN some more. Take the wife to the range with you if she is skiddish of recoil and have her shoot tons. Start small and work your way up. For most women the recoil is a mental thing and with training they get over it. If my wife is home alone and some big methed up dude kicks the door in and all she has is a 22, then fine I hope she is able to get 6-10 rounds off before he kills her, but a more realistic senario id she may only get one shot off. And if thats the case I want it to tear as big a hole in the perp as possible.

Exactamundo!

dognvenus

My wife bought me a Sig 232 stainless .380. Its similar to a Walther PPK. This is the same gun that FBI and Air Marshalls carry as back-up. Crimson Trace make a laser sight that is built into the grip and is has a finger switch activated button on the front strap.

"As for me and my house, we will defend ourselves by whatever means. Giving up and rolling over for dead is not an option" Me.

Dog

Modman440

Have personal protection for me is a must in many different ways I like to have my house protected along with my family. I'd much rather side with caution anytime than to risk having my house broken into or having a bear sneak up on me while fishing for salmon or up in Canada hunting personal protection is a must in my opinion for many reason and every body has there own reason good or bad.

anonomoose

I got but one question: if it works so well on deer, why is it illegal to hunt them with a .22? If they work so well on baddies, why doesn't law enforcement use them? Sorry, but I remain unconvinced. Nonetheless....if you're satisfied with it and it works for you, that's all that counts..

Clearly law enforcement has a much broader range for their weapon needs, of which one is to stop a truck engine from running.

As far as hunting deer with the 22, it WAS legal to hunt deer with them but the law was changed because the DNR made a judgement call and decided that marksmanship of the average hunter would mean that more deer would be wounded with them....meaning that the deer would run off and die. BTW ask any Game Warden, and they will tell you that a 22 is the weapon of choice for poachers.

Also there is a huge difference between hollow point bullets and solid point bullets. Hollow points are safer to use because they fragment up quickly too.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Springfield XDM 3.8 compact in any caliber is hard to beat(price and quality). I also have a 4.3 xdm love them both, try buds guns in AK for best prices.

I like the looks of that XDM 3.8....

A friend of mine carries a palm-sized .22 revolver and told me it's not real accurate so he put bird shot cartridges in it..LOL....