Sad day for Polaris

elf

Just saw on the news that Polaris is closing their Osceola, WI plant and will be moving many of it's manufacturing processes to a new plant in Mexico. I used to work at this plant so I feel bad for all the employees there. Not sure how many employees they have there now but when I was there we had over 800. So much for made in the USA

junior1

i live close by and word on the street is between 600 and 800 people they are moving some to iowa the rest mexico. that is a lot of people for a little town.

ezra

at over 50% of the money walking out the door to the fed and state why would you stick around.it is only going to get worse wake up people.the guys I know who own small manufacturing biz either have moved or are planing to move to SD

olsmann

I live in polk county near Osceola and used to work a Polaris. Its about 800 people all told that will lose their jobs. All so Polaris can save a buck by moving that operation to Mexico. I cant think of a better reason to boycott this company than this. I understand about Wi manufacturing tax, but they arent just moving it out of state, they are moving out of the country!

And YES this means your Polaris snowmobile?atv engine will now be built in Mexico!

Screw Polaris! its not a sad day for them, Its sad day for the employees and the town of Osceola!

Last edited:

whitedust

So long to the so called made in USA Liberty engines. Poo engines Germany & Mexico so be it done....gone ....bye bye.

fusionfool

i live close by and word on the street is between 600 and 800 people they are moving some to iowa the rest mexico. that is a lot of people for a little town.
I doubt they will actually move. Our company closed a plant and moved the majority of the product to Reynosa MX. Here is a link to the stats for average wage in that area. http://www.understandmexico.com/mexico/investment/information/fully-loaded-average-wage-mexico
Not too many US people can live on this type of wage. I know of one person that moved down to McAllen to work in Reynosa when they closed the plant. He kept his US wages, then the first layoff came, and he was gone.
Polaris believes they are going to save money, but the reality is going to be higher cost for some time for them due to quality spills, loss of customers, travel expense for the Engineering, management people ext. I know first hand, how a move like this goes. Not good for anyone except MX.

oldguy

OK let's see where do the other companies make their engines, Ski-Doo—Germany, Arctic Cat—Japan, Yamaha—Japan. Maybe that’s what you got to do to compete. Research, design and devolvement will still be here in MN.

elf

Snowbuff, as much as you'd like to blame Doyle, he's got nothing to do with it. If it was purely tax driven, Polaris would have been out of MN years ago. In 1991 they opened the plant in Osceola, WI, just across the border from MN. In about 1994 or so they opened the plant in Spirit Lake, IA, again just across the border from MN. In late 1990's they opened their distribution center in Vermillion, SD. Again, just outside of MN. MN taxes and business climate were driving them away from the state. Finally in 2003 or so they opened up a R&D center back in MN due to the huge tax breaks they were given.
They are moving to mexico for the labor and overhead costs, pure and simple. I could understand if they were struggling and had to lower costs, but they aren't. They had a great 1st 1/4 and a solid 2009. I can't believe it's going to be cheaper to ship parts from MX to Roseau. They are going to have to carry more inventory now to cover up for shipping issues, that isn't cheap. So long to the made-in-the-USA Liberty engine. Are they going to call it the Chimichanga engine now? Are we, the consumer, going to see huge price reductions in products from this? Doubtful. It stinks!

shelby369

OK let's see where do the other companies make their engines, Ski-Doo—Germany, Arctic Cat—Japan, Yamaha—Japan. Maybe that’s what you got to do to compete. Research, design and devolvement will still be here in MN.

Just need to clarify.....cat has brought engine mfg in house about two years ago...either 07/80 weas the year they stoped the susuki relationship.......Team green, American made.

mnguy

The Spirit Lake plant recently added several people to the day shift and is starting a 150 person night shift. That is good news....moving jobs to Mx not so good.

polarisrider1

Sad day for Polaris employees is a better title. Polaris had Jap. engines for yrs. When Polaris customer relations asks, "What do you want in the products we make?" and you answer, "Lower prices and better quality." They have to do something. As long as we operate in the "Wally world" mentality job losses will continue. Boycott? Why? Yamaha and Skidoo should be boycotted too if you use that mentality.

G

G

I think the Blades are over. They did use Pol engines though. Also I believe the Rotax engines 'Doo uses are made in Austria and not Germany. Not that it really matters. Pol will be moving a few things back to Roseau so that will help that community. From what I have heard it is taxes more than cheap labor behind the move to MX. It will likely be a robot plant not unlike the Ford plant that was discussed here not too long ago. QC will not suffer (in theory). In fact it should actually get better. Yes, things have been good for Pol lately. This move is maintain their viability. It is a smart move on their part given the rules they have to follow. If you want to point a finger point it at the govt. and all the layers of taxes that must be paid just to be here. That being said it is obviously a very bad thing for Osceola and I hope they are decent enough to give all the terminated employees a decent severance package. Sign of the times. Unfortunately.