SART no more in Northern WI

racerx

Just saw a snipit about the SART patrols in Vilas Cty News Review, I was not able to see the entire article....

Special snomo team to end patrols: DNR
By Ken Anderson
News Correspondent

The state’s Snowmobile Accident Reduction Team (SART) won’t patrol trails in northern Wisconsin this winter, a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) snowmobile safety expert told the Vilas County Snowmobile Trail Safety Committee last week.
Warden Tim Lawhern, administrator of the DNR’s Division of Enforcement and Science Conservation, said the $250,000 in funding for the team won’t be renewed in the state budget.
Committee Chairman Sig Hjemvick indicated they had concerns about a number of media reports

F

fusion

Good - pretty much a waste of cash considering how many agents they had out there, sitting at trail intersections. Another good move by Scott Walker!

snowbuff

Another complete waste of money Walker put an end too. Good job. "Accident reduction team", what the heck is that anyway? Are they out fixing "stupid", or what?

squat

Just saw a snipit about the SART patrols in Vilas Cty News Review, I was not able to see the entire article....

Special snomo team to end patrols: DNR
By Ken Anderson
News Correspondent

The state’s Snowmobile Accident Reduction Team (SART) won’t patrol trails in northern Wisconsin this winter, a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) snowmobile safety expert told the Vilas County Snowmobile Trail Safety Committee last week.
Warden Tim Lawhern, administrator of the DNR’s Division of Enforcement and Science Conservation, said the $250,000 in funding for the team won’t be renewed in the state budget.
Committee Chairman Sig Hjemvick indicated they had concerns about a number of media reports

like... O thats FaceBook... sorry. lol

whitedust

Actually they stayed in the areas most expensive hotels, ate the best food then stood at trail intersections & checked the same people over & over & over. Then the public cried FOUL as the well should. Total waste of tax payers money & very misdirected agenda.

t_man

Maybe we'll think about sledding northern WI again

Good news. We pretty much swore off northern Wisconsin, particularly near St. Germain, due to stupid hassles with the DNR. We might just rethink that now.

Don't get me wrong. We like to ride hard but responsibly and wait until the sleds are put away before the drinking starts. In recent years have had no issue with MI or MN DNR - I've seen a number of their officers and they were doing their job and responded respectfully when treated respectfully. WI DNR has been a different story entirely. Complete jerks, and they sure weren't making things safer by their actions.

I still have such a bad impression I would probably wait a year or two to see if things really improve before giving WI a try again. My buddies who really hate to travel far may out-vote me on that, but they have driven right through WI to the UP the last two years.

Let's hope for the best.

whitedust

Good news. We pretty much swore off northern Wisconsin, particularly near St. Germain, due to stupid hassles with the DNR. We might just rethink that now.

Don't get me wrong. We like to ride hard but responsibly and wait until the sleds are put away before the drinking starts. In recent years have had no issue with MI or MN DNR - I've seen a number of their officers and they were doing their job and responded respectfully when treated respectfully. WI DNR has been a different story entirely. Complete jerks, and they sure weren't making things safer by their actions.

I still have such a bad impression I would probably wait a year or two to see if things really improve before giving WI a try again. My buddies who really hate to travel far may out-vote me on that, but they have driven right through WI to the UP the last two years.

Let's hope for the best.

WI DNR & local enforcement will be out on trails. SART was very misdirected & a waste of taxpayer money. I stayed away from events they were attending just too much of PIA on trail being checked all the time. SART wanted to be visible thought that was the way to help but became big PIA to everybody involved so much so biz owners wanted them gone too.

sr22ger

If you think Scott Walker had anything to do with this ( I agree, it had to end), I have a 200 acre ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Just sayin.

whitedust