SE WI - Walworth, Waukesha, Racine & Kenosha Counties - 2018-19

chop

Someone post if Washington Co. opens up please.
I would imagine they will soon,, prollly got 8-10 from this storm. Too dam bad we had that 2.5 day meltdown that wiped us out. We'd have 30 inches on the ground.

I just saw that washington county updated. They will open at 9am tomorrow

ryanslyne

Depending on the type of riding you are looking for the trails are great in my opinion. Last night was all fresh powder and drifts which will eventually make the trails bumpy but man it was fun last night. My ride got cut short with a ravine/ ditch incident. It appeared to be just a low area that washed out from the rain that still had water in it, hit it pretty hard and bent a control arm into my shock. Watch out for hazards as there are a few downed trees that have not been cleared yet that we have gotten reports of as well as icy spots. And that dang ditch I hit. For sure the northern half of Walworth county has way more snow. Overall I would say northern half is in pretty good shape. On my drive to work this morning everything was freshly drifted over again and didn't look like anyone was on them last night. Will get at least one more good day out of it before the warm up tomorrow again 35F and rain....I am out of commission until I get a new control arm. Once I do and if trails are open I will report back.

Enjoy while you can!

RS

ryanslyne

Trails in the northern half of the county held up pretty good during the 1 day warm up considering. Here are a few pictures of the East Troy area. We however had more snow than the southern half of the county. I am not sure what the rest of the county looks like but I would imagine we will be getting going again with trails once we get a little more snow. Sunday looks to be a day where that may happen. At least we have a nice base now to work with if we do get a couple inches of snow on Sunday.

RS

IMG_2264.jpg
IMG_2262.jpg
IMG_2261.jpg
IMG_2260.jpg

ryanslyne

Trails are open again for Walworth County. We had about 2-3” in northern part of county so far and still snowing. Enjoy!

RS

snobuilder

Great news but they never should have closed, especially when the warm up was just a one day event.
Snowmobilers aren't stupid. If you take a ride on fair to poor OPEN trails chances are we will all self police outselves and put the sleds away if the trails are that bad..

If the ground is frozen but with enough snow to ride. ...4" is the rule, then why is a handful of ppl able to make the decision for hundreds of trail pass purchasing snowmobilers?
Way too many control freaks in today's society to let that happen.
Walworth....and other counties are huge so to make a blanket call to close the entire system makes no sense. I was on miles of awesome trails in eastern Walworth co. just hours before they closed them.....Why all the effort of putting in trails year after year only to have a handful of ppl close them for everyone when the ground is clearly frozen and we have snow..

Last edited:

ryanslyne

Snobuilder, I do agree that the northern part of the county should have never closed but I do understand why it was closed given the multiple landowner issues we have today on our trails. If we don't keep them happy then we wont have any trails to ride in our area. Unfortunately it is a judgement call that someone has to make. Sometimes it is hard to gauge what the right decision is. Walworth is split into two zones now zone 1 and zone 2 north and south which helps but still it is not an easy call. Thursday was 40 degrees and many other surrounding counties closed for a few days as well. So it wasn't like we were the only ones.

On the plus side we got about 7-8" of new snow in East Troy area yesterday. Trails are in pretty decent shape. They are starting to get bumpy in areas due to drifting and some of the traffic. But riding in mid February in Walworth county I wont complain. If the groomers are able to get out they will be in great shape. Get out and enjoy it while it lasts! A little more snow coming Wednesday.

RS

tomx

Snowmobilers aren't stupid. If you take a ride on fair to poor OPEN trails chances are we will all self police outselves and put the sleds away if the trails are that bad.

You're kidding right? If not you're totally out of touch with what actually happens in the border counties. Guess what? The idiots aren't on this site and won't even bother calling county hotline to find out if trail are open. Self policing? You're hilarious ��

snobuilder

- - - Updated - - -

You're kidding right? If not you're totally out of touch with what actually happens in the border counties. Guess what? The idiots aren't on this site and won't even bother calling county hotline to find out if trail are open. Self policing? You're hilarious ��

Yep....everyone but you and me that owns a sled is an idiot...we need someone who may no longer even ride a sled make the decision as to open or close trails for us....we too damn dumb, they is smarter...we gonna kill the soil....LOL
frozen ground.....4" a snow. end a story.

Last edited:

ridindirty800

On my way to work this a.m I saw trails in Walworth Co on the north side if Elkhorn that were fresh groomed. Not sure what was all done or not. Trails along HWY 59 in Waukesha CO have not been groomed but heard the Drumlin in Waukesha and Jefferson were groomed. Looks like possible 1-3" of snow tonight/tomorrow so get out and ride before the ice/rain hits Saturday.

erkoehler

I groom for Walworth County whenever I am able, and I completely agree with the closure last week. There were fields between Elkhorn and Delavan that we blown bare of or literally a sheet of ice. I can't speak for the rest of the county but I know there was some concern over conditions & a warm up. With more snow being forecasted, save the trails and what snow we had for when temps drop. Illinois had similar snow conditions, and stayed open. The trails are junk from what I have heard now.

- - - Updated - - -

On my way to work this a.m I saw trails in Walworth Co on the north side if Elkhorn that were fresh groomed. Not sure what was all done or not. Trails along HWY 59 in Waukesha CO have not been groomed but heard the Drumlin in Waukesha and Jefferson were groomed. Looks like possible 1-3" of snow tonight/tomorrow so get out and ride before the ice/rain hits Saturday.

I groomed that last night, and trails around Elkhorn, down to Delavan, and down to Rt 14. Looking pretty good out there.

Eric

ryanslyne

Anyone riding the area please use caution, we have had some water holes/ creeks open up where the trails cross with the sun melting some snow and there are definitely some hazards out there. The Walworth County Snowmobile Alliance has them posted with detail on the map on their Facebook page. Ride cautiously.

RS

LOVE2RIDE

Anyone riding the area please use caution, we have had some water holes/ creeks open up where the trails cross with the sun melting some snow and there are definitely some hazards out there. The Walworth County Snowmobile Alliance has them posted with detail on the map on their Facebook page. Ride cautiously.

RS

Maybe close them? Better than someone getting hurt.

ridindirty800

Trails from Elkhorn north into Waukesha Co have an actual good Ice base and some trails still just plain old white with snow. I was shocked how they looked Sunday after the rain. Thought we would have lost a lot more snow/base. I am sure the South part of Walworth CO is pretty bad looking as it was think before the rain. Maybe after a the next few snow might be able to get back out?