SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

snobuilder

Years ago people were much more respectful of others land and seemed to have more brains. And there were far less landowners to deal with as people owned bigger chunks of land and there was not much development. Now it seems we come across all kinds of 2-5 acres properties we have to cross which just means more problems. Our section of trail in Walworth Co. crosses about 58 different landowners land. And we are only 1 of like 12 clubs in the county.
Did you agree with the Walworth Co. trail closing on a Friday after only being opened for a week or so?
If so, why?

ridindirty800

Did you agree with the Walworth Co. trail closing on a Friday after only being opened for a week or so?
If so, why?

I did not drive around and look any part of the county besides where I live which is the far NW corner. From what I saw the last day they were open some trails were down to dirt while others looked great. Had it been just chisel plowed fields that were a problem I would have kept them open. From what I understand is at least 2 different Landowners called in concerned about the lack of snow on their winter wheat trails. So I am in agreement to close at that point as other trails were bare to. Would more day of been nice, hell ya, but not worth losing land we need and not worth the County having to pay out a crop damage claim. And the forecast was calling for mid to upper 30's for highs. I think the right call was made.

snobuilder

I did not drive around and look any part of the county besides where I live which is the far NW corner. From what I saw the last day they were open some trails were down to dirt while others looked great. Had it been just chisel plowed fields that were a problem I would have kept them open. From what I understand is at least 2 different Landowners called in concerned about the lack of snow on their winter wheat trails. So I am in agreement to close at that point as other trails were bare to. Would more day of been nice, hell ya, but not worth losing land we need and not worth the County having to pay out a crop damage claim. And the forecast was calling for mid to upper 30's for highs. I think the right call was made.
So you only got the kind of trail use permission that your wife or girlfriend gives you when you say you are going out with the boys and her response is "fine"

Stick that winter wheat excuse where the sun don't shine. We have set trails on WW in SE WI for 30 years...and longer,... without a single claim of damage.
And if there is a claim it wouldn't be some sort of devastating amount of money . Farmers aren't stupid....they realize that the WW is durable, otherwise why give permission at all? Stop with the BS. Friday to Saturday and a high of 35 for a couple hours wouldn't change the condition of the WW crop anywhere, anytime that wasn't damaged already from the prior weeks traffic.
Start thinking about being pro snowmobiler and less fatheaded control freaks.

Last edited:

ridindirty800

So you only got the kind of trail use permission that your wife or girlfriend gives you when you say you are going out with the boys and her response is "fine"

Stick that winter wheat excuse where the sun don't shine. We have set trails on WW in SE WI for 30 years...and longer,... without a single claim of damage.
And if there is a claim it wouldn't be some sort of devastating amount of money . Farmers aren't stupid....they realize that the WW is durable, otherwise why give permission at all? Stop with the BS. Friday to Saturday and a high of 35 for a couple hours wouldn't change the condition of the WW crop anywhere, anytime that wasn't damaged already from the prior weeks traffic.
Start thinking about being pro snowmobiler and less fatheaded control freaks.

Well I don't think we will ever agree on this issue. I can say first hand Walworth Co has paid damage claims out in past years. And I am very Pro snowmobile, I knock on landowners door for permission, mark trails, brush trails, and help at fundraisers for the club. And I have ZERO input with when trails close or open for the record. Hope for a better winter next year, with all the rain and no frost I would not be surprised if that was it for the year but you never know.

Snobuilder if you are on Facebook go on the Walworth county snowmobile page read why they closed the trails. They have been very forth coming about opening and closing trails. Just like the post today about upcoming snow tomorrow.

snobuilder

Well I don't think we will ever agree on this issue. I can say first hand Walworth Co has paid damage claims out in past years. And I am very Pro snowmobile, I knock on landowners door for permission, mark trails, brush trails, and help at fundraisers for the club. And I have ZERO input with when trails close or open for the record. Hope for a better winter next year, with all the rain and no frost I would not be surprised if that was it for the year but you never know.

Snobuilder if you are on Facebook go on the Walworth county snowmobile page read why they closed the trails. They have been very forth coming about opening and closing trails. Just like the post today about upcoming snow tomorrow.
sorry, a bad decision was made. even if only a handful of trail pass buyers would have ridden. What days do you think are most important to sledders on a limited trails open basis? answer....the weekend. You took away at least 10% of a slim riding time to begin with. congrats.

euphoric1

6 to 10" predicted here with "blizzard" conditions, already closed schools today yesterday and what have we got??? an inch..... maybe, LONG Way to go to even reach bottom of prediction spectrum. i stand corrected...maybe 2"

snobuilder

Trails should open . A solid 7" of heavy wet here just NW of B town.
I know the groomers will be out laying money tracks sucking up your trail pass dollars into the clubs bank accounts..

snobuilder

I did not drive around and look any part of the county besides where I live which is the far NW corner. From what I saw the last day they were open some trails were down to dirt while others looked great.
I don’t think ridindirty800 had any influence at all over closing.

. From what I understand is at least 2 different Landowners called in concerned about the lack of snow on their winter wheat trails. So I am in agreement to close at that point as other trails were bare to. Would more day of been nice, hell ya, but not worth losing land we need and not worth the County having to pay out a crop damage claim. And the forecast was calling for mid to upper 30's for highs. I think the right call was made.

snobuilder

I don’t think ridindirty800 had any influence at all over closing.
Trails open?

LOVE2RIDE

Trails should open . A solid 7" of heavy wet here just NW of B town.

I know the groomers will be out laying money tracks sucking up your trail pass dollars into the clubs bank accounts..

No frost, no base, 7" of snow, might get a day out of the trails before the dirt is showing. Oh and 40 degrees coming. (y)

euphoric1

4 maybe 5 here in Union Grove area, wind blown fields, lots of dirt showing, wouldn't catch me riding this even if I didn't care about my sled, would have been a nice addition to what we had but mother nature has a sick sense of humor.

whitedust

Sun is like a blow torch today anything on black or brown is toast by noon. Did a sloppy job on clean up same as neighbors it will melt and fast. I couldn’t give an accurate snow measurement blew all over not much coverage if any in some areas. Tomorrow mid 40s and sun what a waste.

snobuilder

Saw sleds riding out using their trail pass investment today in eastern Walworth co.. I don't understand the thought process of making sure everyone knows who is in control and that trails will be closed at a certain time!!!!. Like Whitedust posted, he wasn't going to ride HIS sled in these less than desirable conditions. What makes the small handful of self appointed trail controllers think that snowmobilers can't be trusted to make up their own minds as to when to take their expensive snowmobiles out on questionable trail conditions? All I can surmise is small minds run wild concocting scenarios where evil snowmobilers are rutting up mud and shredding the winter wheat....yea, right...control freaks. It will only get worse.

whitedust

As far as I know Racine didn’t open with this storm called this morning closed February 3rd. Walworth at least got 1 day and night out of it riders choice. Solar angles are getting very worrisome for me. Years ago in Walworth county I went out early in 10 inches of snow warm temps and sun I was lucky to get back mostly mud riding. Lol