SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

old abe

Sure you snowmobile on WI trails you buy the WI trail permit. I think what you or they are referring to is local sledders in SE WI wait for snow then purchase trail permit ride with digital receipt little advance sales. I’m going to ride in WI so just purchase the WI trail permit in Fall paste to my windshield. Idk or care what LEOs are doing about trail permits as I’m sure they have more important things to do. As far as a revolt that is way overstated always have to pay to play.
Yep, spot whitedust! I don't need, or WANT, multiple Registration stickers stuck on my hood! Plus, it seems each one demands its own placement position! F that! Again KISS!

whitedust

This is what the local county residents are refusing to do...They are not buying that extra trail pass just to ride in their local area...How many days has Racine Co trails been open in the last 2 seasons...Arlyn opened Kenosha for 2 days last season, and this season maybe 6 days so far...There were around a dozen counties that NEVER opened at all last season...The sledders that are relegated to ONLY being able to ride near home are getting SCREWED...
I totally disagree with this statement. There are no freebies in life except when dealing with Joe Biden. Lol No one is holding local riders to only ride at home in WI that’s their choice. We are very fortunate local snowmobile clubs work their butts off to maintain trails and groomers. To me club dues and a WI trail permit is a bargain and they can count on me to support them.

pclark

I totally disagree with this statement. There are no freebies in life except when dealing with Joe Biden. Lol No one is holding local riders to only ride at home in WI that’s their choice. We are very fortunate local snowmobile clubs work their butts off to maintain trails and groomers. To me club dues and a WI trail permit is a bargain and they can count on me to support them.
Agree with you WD, Club dues are typically $25, some clubs run higher. When I lived in Waukesha County our club paid the $10 for it's members out of our club fund. Either way $35 plus a registration fee which everyone has to buy is cheap compared a lot of sports. As you stated, the 10% of the guys in the clubs that do all the trail work every year work damn hard staking and maintaining the trails even if they don't open which happens. If you want guaranteed snow you will have to move north or travel a lot to get the snow, People that live in the northwoods don't complain that the ice stays on the lakes longer and they can't use their boats as much as Southern WI as a comparison.

SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT22KILL, please help me out here, when we go up to Sconny to ride sled, we only purchase the "Annual Non-Resident Trail Pass", due to the fact of not know the variable snow conditions from year to year, area to area. And we do get the fact if we join any Sconny Snowmobile Club, we can get a "Multi-Year Non-Resident-Regisration Trail Pass", and save a few $$$ overall! Is this what you are relating to, or what? I do believe firmly in belonging to Snowmobile clubs, in several states, and do so. But not with a Trail Permit gimmick/hoops to jump thru. KISS? I'm not intending, and absolutely hope not to start any pissing matches on this subject what so ever! No interest in that PERIOD! I do surely hope that this trail permit system has worked out, and benifitted the Sconny Snowmobile Clubs as well as it was intended to!
In state it is setup 2 ways...Club members get a discount...They pay $10.00 for that windshield trail pass...Non club members Pay $30.00 per season...Non Resident trail pass is $50.00 annually...Out of state riders can save a few bucks by actually registering their sleds in Wi...Again...Personally for me I pay the freight and buy the windshield trail pass...So far this season i have ridden in 14 Wi Counties...I also have the Mi trail pass on my windshield too...But have only ridden in Gogebic Co so far...

SHOOT2KILL

Personally I have had my fill of clubs...Was a Wi club member/AWSC member for 40 seasons...1971-2011...The annual club memberships are a pittance to what I donate to the areas that actually have trails that are opened for 99% of the entire season...Just in Lincoln Co last year I donated over $100.00...Why do snowmobile posts /topics have to turned into political mindsets "WHITEDUST"......lol@U

whitedust

Personally I have had my fill of clubs...Was a Wi club member/AWSC member for 40 seasons...1971-2011...The annual club memberships are a pittance to what I donate to the clubs that actually have trails that are opened for 99% of the entire season...Just in Lincoln Co last year I donated over $100.00...Why do snowmobile posts /topics have to turned into political mindsets "WHITEDUST"......lol@U
I think you confused us with your permit wording thought you knew something we didn’t regarding county trail permits. Something for free reference to Joe Biden was a joke got to pay to play you want to make it political that’s your choice I could care less.

wisco-mb

People do not realize the importance of trail pass for the entire state's trail funding for grooming, marking/brushing, bridges, etc.! We all should be aware of where this money goes. If you free ride, you do nothing to help our WI trails! Us as riders need to educate people that do not understand it. The amount of funded trails has seen a huge increase in the last couple years. One of my local trails is now funded, something we've applied for a long time!
I think most probably haven't seen more help with volunteering, but club membership has gone up.

This was written by Sam Landes back in 2019:
There were two main reasons for the legislation; First, to increase needed funding for our program. Many forget that in 2014, there were absolutely no program funds for any projects because our fund was depleted. Also forgotten by some was the horrible pro-rate that our organizations faced in receiving supplemental funds applied for in high-use areas. We also needed an incentive for members to join our clubs. Many still don’t understand that Wisconsin’s snowmobile trail system is provided and maintained in the form we know today, by our AWSC volunteer member clubs.
Both major goals of the trail pass legislation are taking place . . . .Our AWSC membership went from a low of around 24,000 family members a few years ago, to over 40,000 family members at present. Two years ago, in its first full season, we added approximately $2.3 million dollars to our fund. This past season, we added approximately $2.5 million dollars to it. That has been around a 23% increase! Many clubs that have put forth an effort to obtain, communicate and involve their membership have also seen increased participation. As a matter of fact, I have received additional help on my section of trail because of it.
Because of those additional dollars added to our fund received from the trail pass program, A provision in the 2017-2018 State Budget raised our base trail aids ( which our clubs can apply for) from $250 a mile on funded trails to $300 a mile, and raise our base grooming amount from $150 to $200 a mile of that amount. These rates have not been raised for nearly 20 years. It also removed the sunset on our trail pass program, so that we can continue to provide our volunteer clubs this financial help.
Also understand that all revenue collected from snowmobile registrations, annual trail passes and out of state user sticker fees (minus 75 cents apiece for printing and distribution) are deposited into our Segregated Snowmobile Trail Aids Fund. We also receive into that segregated fund the fuel tax revenues on 50 gallons of gas per registered snowmobile in our state along with an additional 55% of that figure ( in consideration of out-of-state users) as well. This fund is how the clubs get reimbursed for trail maintenance and grooming. It is also how projects and grants are awarded to clubs and county alliances that include replacing and repairing bridges and trails on our self –funded trail system. We hope to fund more of those club-provided public snowmobile trails in the future as well. These funds truly go to our clubs and trails! While the fund is administered by the DNR, only a very small portion of the money in that segregated fund goes to administration or enforcement!

snobuilder

So far I see no one defending the asinine decision to close the trails on a Friday when the Saturday forecast was at most cloudy and the mid thirties. The decision was absolutely shameful and will only serve to convince more and more of us who live in the marginal snow areas to question why we keep our sleds AND serve to mark trails and support the clubs. More and more we are being lead by elitist fools.

wisco-mb

Tough deal in low snow zones. I look at it as paying my dues when I mark our local trails. If I had expectations to ride them every year, I would be more disappointed then not.

Trail passes numbers overall are pretty good though. All those goes towards the fund.

Attachments

• IMG_20230207_215407114~2.jpg
    IMG_20230207_215407114~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

indy_500

So far I see no one defending the asinine decision to close the trails on a Friday when the Saturday forecast was at most cloudy and the mid thirties. The decision was absolutely shameful and will only serve to convince more and more of us who live in the marginal snow areas to question why we keep our sleds AND serve to mark trails and support the clubs. More and more we are being lead by elitist fools.
Doesn’t make any sense SB… but If it makes you feel better, I live in a county that is ALWAYS the last to open in the state. “Not enough frost in ground, creeks/swamps not froze enough, not enough snow in fields” been hearing the same chit for years. Too many policies and politics involved to get our trails open. After a big dump it’s usually a 3 day process to open them up, and often times that’s too late and already pushing into the next warmup… I get we need to protect our landowners but why mark them if we aren’t going to open them… around Christmas we had 15” on the ground. Granted it didn’t even last a week before the next meltdown, but If 15” ain’t enough, then what is? The county to the west of me (waupaca) opened once last year and twice this year already, without any portion of my county (outagamie) opening… I only live 10 miles from the county line… we haven’t opened since 2021.

snobuilder

Tough deal in low snow zones. I look at it as paying my dues when I mark our local trails. If I had expectations to ride them every year, I would be more disappointed then not.

Trail passes numbers overall are pretty good though. All those goes towards the fund.
My rant continues....LOL. Last year our local clubs groomed at least twice, got their thousands of per mile and trail marking dollars from the trail fund and then decided to NOT open the trails!!! Good enough to groom but not good enough to ride?...really? How many folks were sitting on pre purchase trail passes for nothing?....can't even start a good fire with them. Hate to say it but it seems that is the goal anymore....get in your groomer time and collect the $$$, all else is secondary. That isn't how we got here in 50 some odd years of clubs existence.

$4,190,220 in trail pass sales in one year....plus registration.....its all about the money anymore.

Last edited:

goofy600

Somewhere in the vicinity of 220,000 registered snowmobiles in Wi...Doesn't look like a good ratio of sled registrations to AWSC members...
I have 4 sled in my family stables so even if you divide the number of sleds in 2 that’s 110,000 so not as bad as you want to make it.

pclark

Although I don't live in Southern WI anymore I agree with you on the lack of decision to open at certain times during the winter. In my years in the southern portion it always appeared that even though I would text or email in my opinion on our clubs trails (whether to open or not) that it took forever before the decision was made to open. It was frusterating and because I kind of knew that it was a select few that were granted the right to make those decisions. The county that I used to be in lost 2 days last week because they decided to open on Wednesday instead of Monday after a Late Friday night/early Saturday morning snowfall of 10". I know this because I was with the trailmaster when he took the call on Wednesday as he was up visiting and riding with me in Northern WI. My advice is make a decision and make it as quickly as possible so that people who support the sport either through working in clubs, paying dues and trail pass fees, volunteering, etc can enjoy them for what little time they have. Don't make it about control, make it about why everyone works hard to make this sport what it is.

old abe

Although I don't live in Southern WI anymore I agree with you on the lack of decision to open at certain times during the winter. In my years in the southern portion it always appeared that even though I would text or email in my opinion on our clubs trails (whether to open or not) that it took forever before the decision was made to open. It was frusterating and because I kind of knew that it was a select few that were granted the right to make those decisions. The county that I used to be in lost 2 days last week because they decided to open on Wednesday instead of Monday after a Late Friday night/early Saturday morning snowfall of 10". I know this because I was with the trailmaster when he took the call on Wednesday as he was up visiting and riding with me in Northern WI. My advice is make a decision and make it as quickly as possible so that people who support the sport either through working in clubs, paying dues and trail pass fees, volunteering, etc can enjoy them for what little time they have. Don't make it about control, make it about why everyone works hard to make this sport what it is.
Spot on you are pclark! As you've seen it first hand.

wisco-mb

My rant continues....LOL. Last year our local clubs groomed at least twice, got their thousands of per mile and trail marking dollars from the trail fund and then decided to NOT open the trails!!! Good enough to groom but not good enough to ride?...really? How many folks were sitting on pre purchase trail passes for nothing?....can't even start a good fire with them. Hate to say it but it seems that is the goal anymore....get in your groomer time and collect the $$$, all else is secondary. That isn't how we got here in 50 some odd years of clubs existence.

$4,190,220 in trail pass sales in one year....plus registration.....its all about the money anymore.
Have you actually sat in a club meeting to discuss this? How is your club sitting financially? Has there been new signs/posts/equipment needed? Do you know where this money goes specifically in your club?
I never buy the trail pass thinking I will use it locally. Even if we open locally, it's usually not till end of Jan, after a couple trips up North for me. Maybe your expectations should change?

Do you feel AWSC is just pocketing this money? I can PM directly to see where this money goes with AWSC if needed.

old abe

Y

Yeah, well snobuilder, as it seems with everything, it's all about the money? And without it, $$$, no trails.