Ski-Doo fans lying-low

momoney2123

momoney - I've read countless threads on dootalk. Messing with the temperature resistor does not always fix the problem...so lot's of different stories out there. Yours is just one of them.

Not messing with the resistor, its adding another resistor in series. All 3 14's in our group had the RPM fade. Now all 3 do not. When the sleds were under 4 bars they could pull the clutching set-up we had in it no problem, when over 3 bars it would fade and run at 7400-7600 RPM's, just as described on doo talk. The resistor rids of this and plugs right in.

I went to build one and the only option is the mcdonalds colors.

More than one (black XRS) color options coming, soon to be released today by BRP. Spring order only but at least they are reacting positively, to negative feedback........quickly!

**SPOILER ALERT*** Freeride order-ers will be very happy too...........

whitedust

I don't thnk it will be a big MFG deal cost wise for doo to change colors....yes big waste of marketing money to redo paper sales stuff BUT if the market is sayiing.... UGLY!!.... then you have to respond to sell product!

skidoowi

Very happy with the Ski doo release.

I have a 2011 Renegade X 1200 in all black and love it. I will be ordering the 2015 Renegade Adrenaline 1200 in Black and REd and getting rMotion and the new front suspension and 3 year bumper to bumper warranty plus one additional year..... Couldn't be happier that Ski doo has what I was looking for this year.

I will also be attending the www.snowsneakpeak.com event at State Fair Park on April 1 to see them in person before Spring orders end on April 22nd.

ss440

Good job skidoo. Listening to the customers seems to pay off. Now give the XR a fresh look. Im spring checking a backcountryX

JDTHAWKSFAN

I know I'm pissed! I like the 16" wide track. I'm also pissed that they don't offer the backcountry x in a 600 etec or the renegade xrs in a 600 etec. The backcountry x is a trail sled that you can take off trail, so why did they put the flexedge track on it?

momoney2123

Just put in my order. Renegade X 800...cant wait until next year. That red and yellow one is still growing on me, want to see it in person. But glad they came with anothe color.

misty_pines

I know I'm pissed! I like the 16" wide track. I'm also pissed that they don't offer the backcountry x in a 600 etec or the renegade xrs in a 600 etec. The backcountry x is a trail sled that you can take off trail, so why did they put the flexedge track on it?

Yep, you have to get a non X Backcountry if you want the 600. I would love the flexedge track on my Backcountry. When off trail, even with the sway bar off and ski stance in the narrow setting, it is harder to hold a line on it's side than many other sleds so I look at this as a needed upgrade for the Backcountry. They also took out the two outer rear idler wheels to help with side hilling. Apparently there are a lot of customers that ride off trail and mountains with the Backcountry model (like me). I'm glad BRP finally recognized this and made the necessary change to help with this.

longtrack

Lets face it anyone that is older and wiser buys a 4 stroke now and the GSX Colors are fine. If your going to Mountain ride your young or going to watch from the flat spot if you can get there.

The Doo 1200 is the best Motor out there... Why would you change the best?

If your going to ride miles and buy a 2 Stroke you may as well stand on the Water Tower by my House and throw Money and watch the Kids run and get it.

What Sled in the Polaris lineup competes against the Doo 1200?

momoney2123

Lets face it anyone that is older and wiser buys a 4 stroke now and the GSX Colors are fine. If your going to Mountain ride your young or going to watch from the flat spot if you can get there.

If your going to ride miles and buy a 2 Stroke you may as well stand on the Water Tower by my House and throw Money and watch the Kids run and get it.

If you buy a new doo the 4 year bumper to bumper doesnt give you much risk on a 2s.

Polaris doesnt make a 4s so nothing competes with the 1200.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a market im shocked polaris has not entered. It def appears to be the future of sledding

whitedust

Nothing in poo lineup competes with doo 1200....poo NOT in 4s .....all about 2s Rush & Indys & wants to be lightweight banger champ. Indy lineup about bang for buck cookie cutter stuff to keep price low but only 2s engines. You have to look at Cat & Yamaha for 4s competition to 1200 4s.

russholio

I don't know if it's the best....there are some pretty darn good 4s engines out there.....but I'd say it's as good as any (with regards to reliability and longevity, anyhow) and certainly doesn't get the attention it deserves. People seem to think that because Doo hasn't been in the 4s game as long as Yammi, that the 1200 hasn't proven itself yet as far as longevity goes. And that isn't to take anything away from Yammi at all, by all accounts they make a fine engine (never had one but my dad has a little Yammi outboard that runs like a champ). The 1200 came out in 09, so it's now on its 6th model year -- how long does it take to prove itself?

That being said...doesn't bother me a bit if it stays one of the best-kept secrets in the sledding world. :) I know for the riding I do, it would take some radical innovation to convince me to go back to 2s.

eagle1

If you buy a new doo the 4 year bumper to bumper doesnt give you much risk on a 2s.

Totally agree. Has me thinking going back to 2 Stroke. 4 year warrenty biggest surprise to me of all 2015 releases! Tells me theyre pretty confident in their product.
What's the warranty if you wait and buy in fall?

whitedust

I don't know if it's the best....there are some pretty darn good 4s engines out there.....but I'd say it's as good as any (with regards to reliability and longevity, anyhow) and certainly doesn't get the attention it deserves. People seem to think that because Doo hasn't been in the 4s game as long as Yammi, that the 1200 hasn't proven itself yet as far as longevity goes. And that isn't to take anything away from Yammi at all, by all accounts they make a fine engine (never had one but my dad has a little Yammi outboard that runs like a champ). The 1200 came out in 09, so it's now on its 6th model year -- how long does it take to prove itself?

That being said...doesn't bother me a bit if it stays one of the best-kept secrets in the sledding world. :) I know for the riding I do, it would take some radical innovation to convince me to go back to 2s.

I don't thnk it is only time on market but putting high miles on doo 1200 & new edrive clutch which time does allow. The doo sleds & engines have to start seeing 12-20k miles with no problems.Typical with Yam would be donuts & drive bearings replaced but Yam sleds,shocks & tracks do very well with big miles. I think this is where the lighter weight may become an issue not in the engine maybe but 1 ply vs 2ply tracks & lighter shocks. I know my doo track was done in 5000 miles throwing studs & shocks had already been rebuilt 2x & 2s 800 had to be replaced no perfromance doo 4s back in 2003. My 2007 Attak GT had 10K miles when I traded it in only replaced donuts so in my comparo the doo did not hold up overall. Miles will tell the story on their 4s engines & sleds.

russholio

I don't thnk it is only time on market but putting high miles on doo 1200 & new edrive clutch which time does allow. The doo sleds & engines have to start seeing 12-20k miles with no problems.Typical with Yam would be donuts & drive bearings replaced but Yam sleds,shocks & tracks do very well with big miles. I think this is where the lighter weight may become an issue not in the engine maybe but 1 ply vs 2ply tracks & lighter shocks. I know my doo track was done in 5000 miles throwing studs & shocks had already been rebuilt 2x & 2s 800 had to be replaced no perfromance doo 4s back in 2003. My 2007 Attak GT had 10K miles when I traded it in only replaced donuts so in my comparo the doo did not hold up overall. Miles will tell the story on their 4s engines & sleds.

I guess I should have clarified....I was talking strictly about the engine, not the rest of the sled. The rest of the sled is essentially the same that is found in other models so most other issues there may be should be found across the board. Aside from some first-year bugs (an issue most OEM's seem to have be it cars, sleds, etc.), there are plenty of guys on DooTalk who are racking up the kind of miles you refer to, with few (if any) reported major issues with the engine. Clutching is another story.......

800etec

I'm young and dumb,I'm sticking with the 800,absolutely love it.

goofy600

1200 owners have a question for you! How do the 1200's compare to the 600 etec performance wise (ie say in a drag race, handling etc.). Is the power more like the 600 than the 800, because I got the chance to ride the 900 ace and low end is good but it really falls off at 65 to 70, my wife didn't even like it. I've had 2 600 etec's and both have been great so can't see changing to a 4s if there isn't a big difference. I know everyone will say reliability but again my 2 and my wife's 1 etec's have over 21000 miles combined so in my fleet the 600 is very reliable.

russholio

Goofy -- not an exact answer to your question but I'll share what I know. I never had an Etec so I can't speak intelligently about it. Also...not a racer so I can't comment about that. My previous sled was an 05 600 SDI that had 10062 trouble-free miles on it when sold. And I do mean trouble-free -- I replaced the throttle body boots/reeds and that's it. Everything else was original (other than the heated grips, which failed in the last year I owned it).

Fuel economy on the SDI was better (16-20 mpg) vs. the 1200 (14-16) but I don't have to feed it 2s oil (obviously costs on that vary). Power, there is no comparison. I can darn near lift the skis with the 1200 (probably could succeed if I altered the suspension setup), whereas I don't think the SDI ever really came close. I'd put the 1200 closer to the 700 class than the 600 class. Guys are saying the 1200 hangs with 800 up to 80-85 or so, and then the 800 pulls away. Like I said, I'm not a racer so I can't offer anything in that area.

As far as handling....I'm just a simple trail cruiser so I haven't noticed much difference. But my wife hasn't complained about the extra weight of hers or that it's harder to handle, so I guess that's a positive! :)

The 600 SDI was an outstanding, reliable engine (and presumably, so is the 600 Etec). To switch to a 1200 just for the sake of switching, I don't know if it's worth it. But if yours are getting old and you're looking to get something newer, I'd say the 1200 would be worth looking into.

momoney2123

Totally agree. Has me thinking going back to 2 Stroke. 4 year warrenty biggest surprise to me of all 2015 releases! Tells me theyre pretty confident in their product.
What's the warranty if you wait and buy in fall?

Pretty sure if you wait its 3 year....which is still pretty good.

Last edited: