snowbikes

ezra

X2 but fwiw from the guys I've talked to they are absolutely zero fun running down a groomed trail so really shouldn't be any gripe regarding this...

TRUE . but how do u legally get to the play area or gas? and depending on conditions they are not bad on the trail . kind of like riding that 163 3 inch on a hard groom . not fun but a necessary evil some times.
the fear is land owners wont like them. ok I can sort of see it but then land owners may not care . the bikes are loud with pipes pointing up true. and really I do see that side of it. I think they could do a tunnel dump sort of thing. or do a can like on my ktm390duke pretty ez. that would stop a lot of hand wringing .
like I said I know for a fact mnusa has had many meetings about the bikes and my letter was the main topic of one. had like 4 guys tell me about the hornets nest I kicked open :eek:

ezra

HD-Wallpaper-Bike-2013-2014-KTM-Duke-390.jpg see how they stuff the can in fr of wheel . if u just tipped down tail pipe the noise issue would be a non factor

indy_500

TRUE . but how do u legally get to the play area or gas? and depending on conditions they are not bad on the trail . kind of like riding that 163 3 inch on a hard groom . not fun but a necessary evil some times.
the fear is land owners wont like them. ok I can sort of see it but then land owners may not care . the bikes are loud with pipes pointing up true. and really I do see that side of it. I think they could do a tunnel dump sort of thing. or do a can like on my ktm390duke pretty ez. that would stop a lot of hand wringing .
like I said I know for a fact mnusa has had many meetings about the bikes and my letter was the main topic of one. had like 4 guys tell me about the hornets nest I kicked open :eek:

I get what you're saying but he was speaking for Wisconsin. I don't think many guys are going to be riding a snowbike in Wisconsin looking for off trail spots...

ezra

I get what you're saying but he was speaking for Wisconsin. I don't think many guys are going to be riding a snowbike in Wisconsin looking for off trail spots...

I don't know I ride in WI more than anyplace else .I watch trailer after trailer rolling to the UP on the gg and just head back in to where no one has been all winter . I would say less than 20% of that time is on wi trail. but yes for the most part u are correct. but those guys are not the snowbike target market . it is me and u .

thing is some of the powers that be in MN want them banned from state forest . they have been watching how progressives work and are using the model.
like I said I get the noise thing and privet land owners may not like them . so ban them from any non state forest or nat forest trail. and or make noise level registration laws with very very stiff fines .those thumpers do reverberate through the woods. I my self like the sound of a thumper always have but in the woods u know they are coming a long way out and even further driving away.

Last edited:
Sounds like the early resistance to snowboards at ski hills, but now it's not an issue and probably a huge part of daily revenue at every hill.

I agree that atvs with tracks shouldn't be on snowmobile trails because they will tear up the trails, but I think snowbikes should have a shot (I have zero interest in one though).

Some people are wired to find every reason to say no. Good leaders find a way to say yes and grow the sport.

pinestump

I ride with friends that have SB's and the numbers are growing..
For myself my inseam is very short so it is harder for myself to ride a SB so I do not own one until they can get them closer to the ground.
I would say if u are a man made surface rider and u only ride the orange markers from point A to point B u most likely will not like snow bikes.
If u like to venture off the normal cattle path then u would like a snow bike or at least give them a try.
They are not the the best crossing hard surface areas unless u have long legs or have a lot of seat time.
They are very good at side hilling and getting into tight spots.
As far as deep snow goes here in the good snowbelts in Mich. they are great and a lot of mountain snows with exceptions.
A new computer bike is better because of winter weather..
Currently we are mixing sleds and bikes on rides off trail.
I would not worry about them being on man made trails too much as they are just to boring for a snowbike rider.
Also snowbikes are better in large areas like the mountains or large areas in the U.P. like we ride.
Do not worry if u are a man made trail rider u most likely will only see them on a short connector or in a parking lot in some places.

Remember snow boards skiing years ago...I do

Woodtic

Nobody is buying a snow bike to ride Wi snirt trails. Get back to telling the young punks to get off your lawn. Snow bikes don't need or want groomed trails.

No fishing here! They will tear the s*** out of the trails. With everybody wanting to go wfo on flat groom Trails what do you think of snow bike is going to do?

I was surprised how wide the snow bike tracks are. I thought they would be relatively narrow. So I looked it up. At least one model is 12.5" wide with a 2 1/2" lug.
An Arctic Cat High Country sled has a 15" wide track with a 2 1/4" lug. To me that's not a statistically significant difference.

srt20

I was surprised how wide the snow bike tracks are. I thought they would be relatively narrow. So I looked it up. At least one model is 12.5" wide with a 2 1/2" lug.
An Arctic Cat High Country sled has a 15" wide track with a 2 1/4" lug. To me that's not a statistically significant difference.

Some older Cats had 13.5" track stock.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, nobody is going to want to ride snowbikes in WI.
Way to slow and way to boring. They are meant for backcountry steep and tight trees.

warner

groomer driver,,tear up the trails? what's your logic for that?
most snowbikes are in the 45-60 horsepower range with a 12.5" wide track x 121long...they don't have enough raw power to just spin the track at say 35mph.
your average 600cc sled has at least 120 hp and i've witnessed several that sweep the snow off the trail in the corners while hammering the throttle..
geeez why must we bash everything without finding the facts first

whitedust

To me all snow machines that buy trail permits should be able to use trails without question. Loud pipes are a problem for landowners bikes or sleds and can't really say all bike users will rip up trails. To me give them a chance see how it goes should workout ok imo.

ezra

No fishing here! They will tear the s*** out of the trails. With everybody wanting to go wfo on flat groom Trails what do you think of snow bike is going to do?
So U just told the world u don't know anything about them and are just assuming and using that assumption as fact. u can not tear up a trail with 50hp spinning a 13.5 wide 121/136 1.5 track .
again I say old men sitting around asking why wont kids join my club.

Last edited:

whitedust

I just read an artical in Snow Tech and sounds like AC wants to take a run at trail and powder ready snow bikes real soon for the mass market. I don't have any problem sharing trails with snowbikes & AC trying to meet all snowmobile legal requirements. Snowmobiling has been shrinking for years so maybe snowbikes will add a few more to our winter ranks. As far as ripping up groomed trails that is up to the user to be respectful of trail conditions. I sure would not say all snowbike users are going to rip up trails just will NOT be true in any event. From what I read snow bikes will be easier on trails than sleds so imo I welcome them with open arms. I have no problem with snow bikes and would throw a leg over one for a demo.... prolly not what I would trade my sled for but then again you never know until you give it a try.:)

pez

I rode with a guy out west who rode one. No way these snow bikes can ride on a trail WOT. But as soon as he got into powder, he was able to ride. Unless they figure something out with a better front ski, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about on trails.

ezra

Sounds like the early resistance to snowboards at ski hills, but now it's not an issue and probably a huge part of daily revenue at every hill.

I agree that atvs with tracks shouldn't be on snowmobile trails because they will tear up the trails, but I think snowbikes should have a shot (I have zero interest in one though).

Some people are wired to find every reason to say no. Good leaders find a way to say yes and grow the sport.
lol john I was kicked out of Afton alps in the early 80s after I brought home a Burton snowboard from CA I had never seen 1 and had to have it . only place they would let me use it was the como park tow rope

- - - Updated - - -

I just read an artical in Snow Tech and sounds like AC wants to take a run at trail and powder ready snow bikes real soon for the mass market. I don't have any problem sharing trails with snowbikes & AC trying to meet all snowmobile legal requirements. Snowmobiling has been shrinking for years so maybe snowbikes will add a few more to our winter ranks. As far as ripping up groomed trails that is up to the user to be respectful of trail conditions. I sure would not say all snowbike users are going to rip up trails just will NOT be true in any event. From what I read snow bikes will be easier on trails than sleds so imo I welcome them with open arms. I have no problem with snow bikes and would throw a leg over one for a demo.... prolly not what I would trade my sled for but then again you never know until you give it a try.:)
actually 1 guy I know whent out and got 1 after trying his kids out. was far more ez for him to ride around out west on that than a sled. oh his kid is 39

Last edited: