Snowmobile Insurance

rph130

I am looking for any information or ideas on what everyone out there does for insurance on your sleds. Now that the season is over for me, it aggravates me to pay for liability insurance for 7 snowmobiles that will sit in the garage and not move for 9 months. Is there a carrier out there that prorates the coverage for the summer months or is anyone really happy with their company and feel like they are getting a good deal? I know I can just cancel the policy on them but that gets to be a pain reinstating them and I would like to keep fire/theft on them for the summer.

latner

I use progressive, rates seem reasonable for the whole year, although a lot probably depends on location.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny, I was just looking at mine today. $140.00 for Full Coverage at 12 months with State Farm. But in your case with 7 sleds, Yikes! I hate to pay for something I'm not using but I'm not aware of any company that suspends it during the off months. A lot of them do with cycles but not sleds. Rates are determined by many factors; your history, where you live, credit history, etc. Everything we own is insured with State Farm, that may give us a better rate than someone with only one policy.

wiscrev

They do the same with Bikes/trikes. You have to insure for the full year. Now for bikes, you can go to just comp when not in use.

mezz

Most companies that write snowmobile coverage their rates are based on their seasonal use. Likewise with boats & PWC. Campers & Motorhomes etc can reduce coverage to comprehensive only if so desired. There aren't too many companies that allow lay-up of coverages for cycles, most do not as their rates are also structured based on their seasonal use. This of course can vary by the state in which you live.

indy_500

I pay $380 a year for a 23 Renegade 850 and a 19 MXZ 600 thru State Farm. They just totalled out our 14 GSX and gave us a very reasonable payout value. That is my only policy thru SF, so no combined discount. My agent for my home and auto, just quoted me today $320 a year thru farmers. I may switch when my policy is up at the end of the year, but not enough savings for me to cut ties 3 months into my policy period.

snoden

I believe the most important part of any insurance is the agent/agency. I have been with Grange Insurance for 25+ years but my agent is always on top of my coverage needs. Can switch from comprehensive to full coverage as needed.

dfattack

I'm at $297 for 2022 Mach
2022 grand touring $272.
2012 Apex is $157.

Like Gary I'm all state farm.

My coverage;

bodily injury 500,000/500,000
property damage 500,000
medical payments 5,000
bodily injury 250,000/500,000

I also have an umbrella policy that kicks in if needed over those limits.

hope that helps.

Hoosier

I use progressive for my sled. All my other insurances are with a different company.

I normally take 2 or 3 trips a year and when I'm riding, I go online and turn on the all coverages as high as they go, and then take them down to just fire/theft when I'm not riding - although I think the minimum liability is $25K, which is almost nothing. Ends up costing about $100/year for my 2018 600.

chunk06

I just priced insurance through every company i could think of a few months ago because I was not happy dealing with State Farm after a auto accident that was no fault of my own. Most companies could not even come close to SF and some agents even admitted it right away. We are good credit, no bad history.The few that did come close a acquantance that owns a body shop told me to stay away from them. My old agent who retired had no problem canceling in the off season, the agent that bought him out plays by the rules though.....The agent that retired was known to do things a bit different for loyal customers.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about your trailer, is that covered also under your sled policy? Mine is. When you think about it, we're trailering in some nasty conditions and some of these trailers are as big as my first house. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I have little brand loyalty when it comes to insurance, the local agent and prices are the deciding factor.
Anyway, I miss Jake. The current bunch are pretty lame. The first ones with Rodgers and Raji were OK.

Nothing funny about Rodgers these days...

goofy600

I think I ask my agent once and was told that they figure the season of a snowmobile into the equation for what you pay basically meaning if you could use it year round it would be way more. But that was awhile ago so not sure if I’m remembering correctly.

lofsfire

I left SF in 2006 when my rates jumped up with no claims or other issues. Family had been with that agent for 3 generation... (That agent left SF shortly after and became independent.) But I always had the sleds with SF. I went with Indiana Farmers for the house but the sleds would go under a homeowners claim if I had one... and would cost more than SF. Then switched to Eire. I don't remember them offering sled coverage or it may have been under the house as well. 2015 switch to Auto-Owners but again sleds stayed with SF. I went to add my 16 year old son and his truck this past fall and was quoted more then my other two cars for just his. Called SF to add a new used sled, they asked about quoting everything. First I had them do just my sons truck with him and I as drivers. It was less then just my truck. Ended up switching everything back to SF brought the coverage down but put the umbrella with more coverage over everything...

One of my friends is now an insurance agent, and his does not sell SF but that is who he uses for his sleds as well... And just like others above I was told rates take in account for no summer use. Lastly, I have never had a claim on my sleds.

Edited: Trailer has is own policy as well plus umbrella if required.

Last edited:

dfattack

How about your trailer, is that covered also under your sled policy? Mine is. When you think about it, we're trailering in some nasty conditions and some of these trailers are as big as my first house. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I have little brand loyalty when it comes to insurance, the local agent and prices are the deciding factor.
Anyway, I miss Jake. The current bunch are pretty lame. The first ones with Rodgers and Raji were OK.

Nothing funny about Rodgers these days...
I have a separate policy for my enclosed trailer.

snomoman

I use foremost insurance, it’s a subsidiary of Geico, I’ve been using them for years, when I’m not using my snowmobile I take off the collision which saves some money,
It is a separate insurance company from my home and auto, I didn’t want to tie the two together so that my insurance rates would go up with a claim, had a claim on my snowmobile years ago and it didn’t seem to affect anything as far as an increase in premiums

I have ALLSTATE. I have everything with them. 2 suvs', 2 trailers which are under car policy's. 2 place enclosed and double axle boat trailer. 2 older yamaha's. 1 boat. House with umbrella policy. My agent has been great and is also a boater and snowmobiler. I also worked for ALLSTATE for 47 years so I'm a little biased. You don't get any special deals because you worked for them. I believe they are pretty fair. Also have a College aged daughter on my policy. I'm a single Dad with 2 kids. My son will get his license in august. I am also on Drive Wise with the suv's. I believe sometimes agents can make a difference. Shop around. Good luck.

ddhanna

I have ALLSTATE. I have everything with them. 2 suvs', 2 trailers which are under car policy's. 2 place enclosed and double axle boat trailer. 2 older yamaha's. 1 boat. House with umbrella policy. My agent has been great and is also a boater and snowmobiler. I also worked for ALLSTATE for 47 years so I'm a little biased. You don't get any special deals because you worked for them. I believe they are pretty fair. Also have a College aged daughter on my policy. I'm a single Dad with 2 kids. My son will get his license in august. I am also on Drive Wise with the suv's. I believe sometimes agents can make a difference. Shop around. Good luck.
I canned Allstate after 46 years when my wife recently passed away and Allstate said they would be raising my rates for that reason. Thanks for your sympathy Allstate.

BTW, Drive Wise is the stupidest app I have ever experienced. Never again.

SledTL

Just as an FYI I encourage anyone on here to carry at least 350K in bodily injury. My friend accidentally ran over my other friend this year. Ambulance, broken bones, ER overnights, and some surgeries later his 250K plan got maxed out. Thankfully injured friend had an underinsured policy that picked up some slack, but he was staring down having to potentially sue to get coverage for bills lost wages, etc. For a small amount more it really can save when you need it the most. With the way stuff has been on the trails I'm honestly more worried about getting hit by someone there than driving my car.

Just as an FYI I encourage anyone on here to carry at least 350K in bodily injury. My friend accidentally ran over my other friend this year. Ambulance, broken bones, ER overnights, and some surgeries later his 250K plan got maxed out. Thankfully injured friend had an underinsured policy that picked up some slack, but he was staring down having to potentially sue to get coverage for bills lost wages, etc. For a small amount more it really can save when you need it the most. With the way stuff has been on the trails I'm honestly more worried about getting hit by someone there than driving my car.
I
I'd recommend higher limits than $350,000. Those limits usually don't even qualify you for an umbrella policy. Liability insurance is really the least expensive part of insurance.