Snowy range in april

doo_dr

April 19th ? of the Day

Anyone have any recent condition reports? We plan on leaving Wednesday morning.
Thanks

lookin4snow

Forecast looks wet for the week with highs in the 40's to 50. Snotel at French Creek showed that the snow is holding up (97 inches on the ground) but that the temps are in the upper 40's. That means crusty snow in the morning and soft snow in the afternoons. I'd search out north facing slopes and in the trees. I'm sure you can still have some fun spring riding as long as the rain stays away.

snoluver1

If they are calling for rain you can almost guarenty it will be snow up top. Acording to Chris at mt medow cabins, he has NEVER seen rain before memorial day. Keep in mind that is at ten thousand and above!

doo_dr

That is what I have been hearing. We start at almost 10k' so it will be interesting. This is the third trip out west this year and I'm still pumped to ride in April. "Must be a sickness"

doo_dr

Got back last night. One of the best rides of my life. I'll try to get pics down loaded today and send them out.

doo_dr

OK, Here you go. We got in Wednesday night and rode Thursday through Saturday. Fresh snow started Friday. Saturday was awesome. For those who don't go out later in the season (after mid March) the snow will change by the hour so don't think your going to ride a single fresh snow fall for two days. The weather wasn't really different from some of my mid March rides but it is cool to say we rode in the end of April. Yamaha R&D, EZ Ryde, and a couple people from Yamaha Race were out at the same time. This was a neat group of people with a ton of "Knowledge and Passion" for the sport. Without these guys we'd still be riding leaf springs. A few of us finished the season off with 3 trips/11 days of out west riding. Not too bad for a group of flatlanders!!! Oh! by the way, I don't know if anyone has came up with this before (new to us) but our guide has a new title for Boondocking. He calls it "Lewis and Clarking" or LC'ing. It fits the west better I think!!!
I loaded more pics in a album if you want more.

Attachments

• 100_1203.jpg
    100_1203.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_1183.JPG
    100_1183.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_1206.jpg
    100_1206.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1216.JPG
    100_1216.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Very nice pictures! Sight for sore eyes! Looks like a great time was had by your group. Awesome to see good riding still in the end of April.

hoffmansledder

I wish I rode with people who were willing to make the trip west again this year. I can't convince them we need to go. I anybody from northern indiana is going west yet this year let me know.