So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

euphoric1

It's a crazy lot that certainly has it's challenges, the thing that keeps us here is the lake and the life it offers, just tonight we were enjoying a cocktail on the pier and our neighbors from down the lake stopped by and picked us up for a pontoon boat ride around the lake. Just what I needed! It's been a crazy week! View attachment 68698
now that's truly....LIVING THE DREAM!! how could anyone ever get tired of that?!

Thanks for the update should really start coming together in the next few weeks and hopefully done just in time for an early, snowy winter.

pclark

It seems like forever but the project is back on track. Excavator was here this morning and will be finished up Tuesday, Concrete floor supposed to be poured on Wednesday. Then the fun starts, I was bored so I cut the sill plates this past weekend, just have to put the foam under them when they get out of here.
1692051107609.png 1692051147356.png 1692051194080.png

Attachments

• 1692051271318.png
    1692051271318.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

pclark

Started this project about 6 weeks ago, my biggest delay was waiting 4 weeks for XCEL to bury my power line which was hanging directly across the new garage creating all sorts of issues for excavation and concrete. On Monday/Tuesday this week the excavation was finished and this morning my garage floor was poured. I am very happy with the way things turned out and now on Friday I am going to start construction. Pics from this week.
1692236269064.png
1692236326814.png
1692236398692.png
1692236425156.png
1692236446631.png

skiroule

This is looking very good. Enjoying the photos and seeing it come together. Love the boulder retaining walls, really integrate the garage into the landscape.

pclark

This is looking very good. Enjoying the photos and seeing it come together. Love the boulder retaining walls, really integrate the garage into the landscape.
Thanks Skiroule, the lot has been a challenge with planning this project but I think it has come together pretty much like I had envisioned so far. Supposed to get a short burst of heavy rain tonight so we'll see about the drainage. I have load of road gravel coming in the morning to put in front of the garage, eventually will asphalt once the entire project (The house is next after the garage) is done and heavy equipment is no longer beating my driveway up.

jjj70095

In pic 1 of 4, from the set of Monday at 5:15pm, I see some trees and some boulders(?) blocking the neighbor. What kind of trees are those? Are those boulders?

pclark

In pic 1 of 4, from the set of Monday at 5:15pm, I see some trees and some boulders(?) blocking the neighbor. What kind of trees are those? Are those boulders?
Those are Oak trees, We have oak, pine, birch and maple on the lot, maybe a couple popple. Yes those are boulders that were used for the retaining wall that you see in the finished pictures.

pclark

Looks good! Did they put fabric behind the retaining walls?
Pete, no fabric, we had 2.5" of rain last night and everything drained of pretty well, not much washout at all, I'm pretty happy about that because I was a little worried. The garage slab was pretty dry this morning as well with only a couple of puddles on the flat part of the garage which is the back part. If you look at the garage slab picture the drain is in the front part where the vehicles will be parked and believe me there was a lot of water on that slab last night so it drained out very well. The rest of the slab is relatively flat because eventually it will be dried in.:)
1692276748350.png
1692276793354.png

ICT Sledder

Looks amazing so far. Wouldn't want to see the $/SF on this by the time you're finished, but the painful part of that is behind you now, construction-wise.

I think he was asking about the fabric as geotextile fabric is often placed between the lifts of material you're using as backfill. It helps the finer layers like your fill sand from washing out and filtering down through the larger gauge fill below it over time.

whitedust

Looks amazing so far. Wouldn't want to see the $/SF on this by the time you're finished, but the painful part of that is behind you now, construction-wise.

I think he was asking about the fabric as geotextile fabric is often placed between the lifts of material you're using as backfill. It helps the finer layers like your fill sand from washing out and filtering down through the larger gauge fill below it over time.
Exactly the problem I had with my rock wall sand eroded thru over time in heavy downpours monsoon rains. Hopefully Paul doesn’t have that problem.

pclark

Exactly the problem I had with my rock wall sand eroded thru over time in heavy downpours monsoon rains. Hopefully Paul doesn’t have that problem.
It held up pretty good for the first big storm, considering that the sand was very dry prior to the rain. I knew I would have some erosion but it was very little. I will plant grass up there or put down fabric and wood chips over it eventually. That was a heavy down pour we had last night so I was pleased that I didn't have too much to repair.

pclark

I will figure it out at the end but yes, the major cost is now paid for. Excavation and concrete work was way more than I had figured. My lumber and trusses are paid for, just have to buy shingles and insulation. And a million other little things.........about $2,000 in Menards rebate have been submitted so far. It's really almost like building a house!