So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

pclark

I gotta ask....what did you do for a living prior to retirement? It had to be in the trades with your skillset.
I've been in sales all my life, but never afraid to take on a project. One of the reasons I do alot of this myself is the quality of work that you pay big money for today is not up to my standards. I look at what people pay for work to be done and the end result is embarassing, most people accept it because they don't know any better. I have been in the flooring industry for the last 30 years or so, I have seen a lot of bad installations and know a lot about how things should be done and the corners that get cut. When someone told me that a flooring product that I sold them was defective I went out and looked at the installation, installation error is 90% of all issues with most products. I always said if my product was defective I will replace it, asked the installer if he would own his mistakes? Most of the time I would teach them what they did wrong and help them fix the issue and made some some great friends in the industry. So yes, I was sales but I also told my guys, first thing you should do is get out to a job site on an installation so you can learn everything about the product you sell. This garage/upper is the biggest build project that I have ever taken on by myself. I still work but own my own terms, we own a small specialty flooring business producing liquified flooring.

pclark

OK, I am intrigued. Could this be the what I am guessing is like a garage epoxy but more refined like you would have in a basement? Could be called Liquid Linoleum.
Epoxy floors have a ton of harmful chemicals in them, you don't want to be breathing in that stuff. Epoxy has it's place but the trend is for sustainable flooring that can be recycled after it's life has come to an end. Check out www.Duracryl.com and click on US version, our parent company is located in Rotterdam, Netherlands. we sell a number of brands but CLL or Corques Liquid Linoleum is our most popular because it is PVC free, Red List free, no harmful chemicals, produced with all natural ingredients. It is mixed on site and troweled out, then rolled with a pin roller, must cure overnight and then water based urethane finish is applied. The floor is seamless, therefore an excellent option for healthcare installations. It is a Commercial flooring product but can be installed in most buildings provided the subfloor conditions are met. You can also buy our product from Mannington Mills Commercial Flooring as they private label our product and call it Legato Liquid Linoleum.

pclark

About 90% dried in totally, roof work done thank God. Made some great progress on the exterior this weekend and the last couple days, my lovely wife helped me sheath the lake side and we wrapped it with Block-it house wrap. The upstairs just needs windows put in and west side facing the woods is almost complete, I am leaving a little bit open because I don't have the stairs done yet so it's accessible from up top. A lot will happen in the next two weeks and I'll work outside until it gets too ugly hoping to get some siding up. When the weather turns I'll start building the interior out, should be fun project to spend time on this winter!
1697589719275.png
1697589780349.png
1697589808950.png

snoden

Not sure who suggested that? maybe it was you! I decided to do it, it makes sense.
It's the right way to do it. Now for the triple back flip with a twist. Get some window tape, the really sticky stuff and put it on the seam of ice and water (0n the wall) and also the step tins once the roof is done. Highly recommend to do this especially if the siding will not be completed this year.

pclark

It's the right way to do it. Now for the triple back flip with a twist. Get some window tape, the really sticky stuff and put it on the seam of ice and water (0n the wall) and also the step tins once the roof is done. Highly recommend to do this especially if the siding will not be completed this year.
Good idea, thanks!

picbn

Looking great Paul....now, how can I get on your waiting list for a new garage. PI is not that far away. LOL

pclark

Looking great Paul....now, how can I get on your waiting list for a new garage. PI is not that far away. LOL
picbn, I had to chuckle at that! PI is not that far away but I am taking some time off after this massive project. I was thinking this morning as it was raining how nice the dry garage was while I was working on my snowmobile trailer. It's a rain day here and I'm able to work inside doing some things so I am very happy. There is no list (I should say next on the list is the cabin remodel) but that might not start until 2025. Being your own GC is not only a lot of physical work but a lot of mental thinking work as well, I couldn't have timed this out any better even with getting a late start due to Xcel not being able to bury my line which backed things up about 4 weeks. Now I need to insulate, get the furnace put in and finish wiring my ultimate garage. I'll have pictures most of the winter on that progress.

DooZ

Your progress looks awesome. How was Vilas County to work with for Permits, etc.? Looks like your hugging at least one lot line.

pclark

Your progress looks awesome. How was Vilas County to work with for Permits, etc.? Looks like your hugging at least one lot line.
thanks, Vilas County was so simple, just go over the Public Works building in Eagle River, I would call ahead and make sure the guy is there and can see you and it takes about 20 minutes after a few questions. Town of Manitowish was just a simple, each town has it's codes so take time to look them up and study them on the website and you should be fine. I have electric in the garage as of today so installing some lights tomorrow and doing some inside work as it looks like rain.

pclark

Looks like the last time I posted pics was on 10/17. I have enclosed everything in and have house wrap on pretty much everything except a couple small areas because I ran out. Took a trip to Menards today and picked up some supplies, insulation, house wrap, a new window for the lower level that I roughed in this week. Yesterday my electrician came and we ran power into garage so I am finally live! I hooked up a couple of those High Bay lights that are integrated LED and they are super bright, can be dimmable as well. Ran power over to the furnace area and installed a couple outlets and that type of work will continue this week as well as building the stairs and window installation. The second picture is the 600sf upstairs, no light yet, once the stairs are in it will be easier to get up there. Gas line gets run into Garage on Thursday so we are moving along and getting things crossed off the list. Roofers come on 11/3, catch you in a week or so.

Attachments

• 1698191857860.png
    1698191857860.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • 1698191882508.png
    1698191882508.png
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • 1698191914802.png
    1698191914802.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 1698191947185.png
    1698191947185.png