So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

Tim in Indiana

Paul,
Who did you get for the overhead doors? And were you happy with them? I need to replace a couple cheap, insulated 12' x12' doors next year and not sure who's the guy to get.
Tim

pclark

Did you consider room-in-attic trusses over the garage, could have entered into that storage area from the 2nd level?
I did, but everything moved really fast this Spring and getting trusses on order and delivered was the first thing on my mind. Structurely I think this is best for my situation. Also an attic is a catch all for collecting things and I don't want to be emptying it out 10 years from now so that will be dead space. My upstairs room is 600 sf so plenty of room up there to partion off into a storage closet if I wish or I can have one below. At our old house I was amazed at the amount of things that we had tucked away in the basement and attic when we moved that was just a pain in the to get rid of or sell or donate before we moved up here, never want to go through that again!

pclark

Paul,
Who did you get for the overhead doors? And were you happy with them? I need to replace a couple cheap, insulated 12' x12' doors next year and not sure who's the guy to get.
Tim
Tim, I bought an expensive ($2,800) 8ft tall, 16 ft wide R-19 insulated door from Menards, Ideal Brand. We put the door in ourselves, it pretty much took us all day but I am not an experienced Garage door installer, well, maybe now I am. Up here, you learn to do alot of things yourself, I wouldn't know the first person to call! I'm sure if you google it where you live you can weed out the bad guys and find someone decent to put your doors in.

whitedust

I did, but everything moved really fast this Spring and getting trusses on order and delivered was the first thing on my mind. Structurely I think this is best for my situation. Also an attic is a catch all for collecting things and I don't want to be emptying it out 10 years from now so that will be dead space. My upstairs room is 600 sf so plenty of room up there to partion off into a storage closet if I wish or I can have one below. At our old house I was amazed at the amount of things that we had tucked away in the basement and attic when we moved that was just a pain in the to get rid of or sell or donate before we moved up here, never want to go through that again!
Oh you are so right on that! I had a pile of stuff in the driveway that I invited neighbors to take. Finally in the end I took a truckload to Phelps dumpster day and my neighbor helped out with his full trailer. It’s difficult to throw away stuff in Vilas recycling services are picky in what they will take and we didn’t have a garbage service off grid. You had to take care of it yourself.

rph130

Paul,
Tim
Hey Tim, I used Great American Door Company, (Dean Paris) over the summer to replace door springs and align door properly. Dean is located in Boulder Junction and a great guy. Price was very reasonable. He is the only one that responded to about four calls to find someone to do it.

hybrid

Paul,
Tim
this place did a nice job on my garage door
not sure of the price because it came with the building
and they service the older doors at my workplace
always do nice work

Tim in Indiana

this place did a nice job on my garage door
not sure of the price because it came with the building
and they service the older doors at my workplace
always do nice work
Thanks, looks like they sell CHI doors which is what I prefer to use. I'll give them a call.

pclark

Have some buddies up for our fishing weekend, this weeks accomplisments, gas line put in, stairs built and installed to upstairs, and today I managed to get all 5 windows installed, what a beeatch! especially on the high side, that's me up on a ladder off of my roof installing the window, geez, last time I do that. Thanks to my high school buddies for helping me out, great to get that crossed off the list. We are still on schedule to get this done before the weather gets to nasty.
1698466232434.png
1698466261303.png
1698466283769.png
1698466314766.png
1698466333188.png

uncle_ed

Thanks for taking the time to dociument your project with us like its not already enough just to knock this thing out on its own. Looks sweet and will give you many years of enjoyment and use. I must say...It looks like you know what your doing! :cool:

Reactions: C W

pclark

Thanks for taking the time to dociument your project with us like its not already enough just to knock this thing out on its own. Looks sweet and will give you many years of enjoyment and use. I must say...It looks like you know what your doing! :cool:
Thanks Uncle Ed, I looked back on the first post date and saw it was 6/29/23 so I have been at this 4 months, I didn't start to frame out until 8/19 so my build has been about 2 and half months. My goal was to finish before it snowed and I made that but lots to do yet and it's cold and snowy that last couple of days. I did get out on Saturday for a little fishing around 4pm and caught one nice walleye, then I pulled my boat out and was able to put it in the garage! Will be winterizing it this week between getting the yard cleaned up and the neighbors yard as well as bringing in stuff tat used to go under my porch. Weather appears to warm up into the weekend so I'm happy about that. As far as I seem to know what I am doing, it's certainly been a learning experience and You Tube has been a great asset.

uncle_ed

Im on the tail end of my summer project. Not that it compares to the magnitude of your project but the cabin turned home had some miled oiut T1-11 that needed a fix. Had new windows installed last year and now im installing James Hardie siding this year. What are your siding plans? siding.JPG

pclark

Im on the tail end of my summer project. Not that it compares to the magnitude of your project but the cabin turned home had some miled oiut T1-11 that needed a fix. Had new windows installed last year and now im installing James Hardie siding this year. What are your siding plans? View attachment 69132
Looks nice, We are going with LP Smart Siding 6"from Menards. It's a 2 week lead time and if had know next week was going to be so nice I would have ordered some. Oh well, we'll go with the House Block for the winter and start in on the siding in the Spring. What width is it that you went with?

pclark

Im on the tail end of my summer project. Not that it compares to the magnitude of your project but the cabin turned home had some miled oiut T1-11 that needed a fix. Had new windows installed last year and now im installing James Hardie siding this year. What are your siding plans? View attachment 69132
where is your cabin located?

uncle_ed

Good choice for siding. I would have used that but I did my last house with the fiber cement and sold it almost 20 years later and it still looked great so went with that again. I used an 8 1/4 which leaves a 7 inch face. We had our place by the silver lake sand dunes for 25 years and then decided to move here full time at the onset of the pandemic when my wife found employment here. I am retired now and the boss is just a few months from joining me which has me concerned because she already is such a slave driver........:giggle: