So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

Tim in Indiana

Looks nice, We are going with LP Smart Siding 6"from Menards. It's a 2 week lead time and if had know next week was going to be so nice I would have ordered some. Oh well, we'll go with the House Block for the winter and start in on the siding in the Spring. What width is it that you went with?
Have you looked at the pre-painted LP Smart siding? I have a friend who used the Diamondcote pre-painted LP from Pukall. It was good looking stuff and seems to not fade or discolor after several years up north.

garageguy

I have that on my house and new garage. I opted for the plastic gage strip on the back.It helps when yer installing by your self. I'd lean a 2x4 against one end to hold it on the wall to hold one end and work my way along.
It's expensive and the joining pieces for the joints are 4 bucks apiece. But it looks great is durable and should out last us.

garageguy

I found siding scraps under the leaves from my house that have been laying on the ground 5 years and it did not soak up moisture and still looked great. I reused some on my garage.

pclark

Have you looked at the pre-painted LP Smart siding? I have a friend who used the Diamondcote pre-painted LP from Pukall. It was good looking stuff and seems to not fade or discolor after several years up north.
I think the LP siding at Menards is very similiar, They have a 15 and 30 year warranty, priced accordingly. It is also pre-painted and their association is with Sherwin Williams. It is special order, 2 week lead time. I don't buy anything from Pukall unless I have to, I would go broke, they are very expensive. Their sales pitch is "We sell Menards our seconds" with regard to lumber, the lumber that I bought from Menards was very good, especially the 2x6x10's. I would agree that their 2x4x8's are typically not very good, you need to pick through what they have to find good stuff. Pukall has a good thing going up in our area, the contractors that build for the wealthy pretty much buy everything from them as the clients don't really care how much it costs, they just want it built. Nothing against Pukall, they are just very expensive.

whitedust

Boones has good lumber too but very expensive. All contractors had discounts I had to pay list price mostly for cedar deck boards for replacement. 80 mile round trip to Rhinelander to Menards just didn’t make sense each year for a few boards.

wiscrev

I think the LP siding at Menards is very similiar, They have a 15 and 30 year warranty, priced accordingly. It is also pre-painted and their association is with Sherwin Williams. It is special order, 2 week lead time. I don't buy anything from Pukall unless I have to, I would go broke, they are very expensive. Their sales pitch is "We sell Menards our seconds" with regard to lumber, the lumber that I bought from Menards was very good, especially the 2x6x10's. I would agree that their 2x4x8's are typically not very good, you need to pick through what they have to find good stuff. Pukall has a good thing going up in our area, the contractors that build for the wealthy pretty much buy everything from them as the clients don't really care how much it costs, they just want it built. Nothing against Pukall, they are just very expensive.
I wasn't happy with their customer service. I needed something that they were out of, so I asked for availability and got, "When we decide to make more." That was 10 years ago and haven't been back since.

lofsfire

Paul, speaking on cost... I've had a couple big projects like this, I used Home Depot for my material due to location but Menards and Lowe's, plus local building supply places had similar programs I could have used... Anyways I setup everything through the Contractor Service Desk, Had a complete list of everything (everything down to paint colors) I wanted and could call and request any items be ready for pick up. I did both of my projects after work so this helped a lot for time spent at the store. On top of that I received contractor pricing. I do believe I paid for everything upfront but items were still returnable if needed. You still have a ways to go so it might be worth looking into for some more discounts.

I spent so much time at Home Depot I knew most of the employees by name and they knew me at the time. Customer service is much different went your just a customer buying something vs someone they see regularly with a very large project.

Sweep800

I put the Ridgeback Diamond Kote on my house a couple years ago. Turned out real nice. I even used the H end clips so you don’t see the gap at the end of each piece. You should butter all the bottom s of the corner boards with color matching caulk so it doesn’t wick up any moisture. I even threw another coat of paint on the bottom of the first coarse of siding.

snobuilder

The LP Diamondcoat is the best product out there and is produced and sold by Wausau Supply. The finish is superior but I imagine Menards has a lower price on their pre finished LP siding which I believe is a coat of Pittsburg paint. LP siding actually grows together after install and requires a nickle sized gap when applied. I never used the stupid looking joint clips.
I shop both HD and Menards in Rhinelander but hate the 38 mile trip to and from. That Menards in Rhinelander is insanely busy, but if you look at it's location in the northwoods and the fact everyone wants there northwoods retreat.....you can see why.

whitedust

The LP Diamondcoat is the best product out there and is produced and sold by Wausau Supply. The finish is superior but I imagine Menards has a lower price on their pre finished LP siding which I believe is a coat of Pittsburg paint. LP siding actually grows together after install and requires a nickle sized gap when applied. I never used the stupid looking joint clips.
I shop both HD and Menards in Rhinelander but hate the 38 mile trip to and from. That Menards in Rhinelander is insanely busy, but if you look at it's location in the northwoods and the fact everyone wants there northwoods retreat.....you can see why.
You can bowl down the aisles of the Rhinelander HD store. I’ve been there many times and not much help but I never understood the lack of customers. Any ideas?

wiscrev

You can bowl down the aisles of the Rhinelander HD store. I’ve been there many times and not much help but I never understood the lack of customers. Any ideas?
Pete, I was there last Thursday and it was like the day after Christmas. Problem was, nobody knew anything. I had to wait 30 min just to get a piece of tin I ordered. They have no workers!

Last edited:

snobuilder

You both are right on. IMO HD has the brand names in tools and appliances sewed up. MKE tools is literally taking over the aisles. They even sent Klein tools packing which was a big mistake by HD if you ask me.
Lumber and building material wise the inside lumber yard has its pluses and minusses.

Last edited:

pclark

Paul, speaking on cost... I've had a couple big projects like this, I used Home Depot for my material due to location but Menards and Lowe's, plus local building supply places had similar programs I could have used... Anyways I setup everything through the Contractor Service Desk, Had a complete list of everything (everything down to paint colors) I wanted and could call and request any items be ready for pick up. I did both of my projects after work so this helped a lot for time spent at the store. On top of that I received contractor pricing. I do believe I paid for everything upfront but items were still returnable if needed. You still have a ways to go so it might be worth looking into for some more discounts.

I spent so much time at Home Depot I knew most of the employees by name and they knew me at the time. Customer service is much different went your just a customer buying something vs someone they see regularly with a very large project.
I chose Menards specifically because of the 11% rebate and did price comparison with HD and Pukall. Lots of rebate checks, helps out with the insulation that I am now installing. I've not ever tried the contractor service desk but may give it a try someday. I truly believe that both Menards and HD are probably the same after you take into consideration discounts and rebates. Menards is a local company so I chose to support them because of it.

pclark

I was talking to the guy at the contractor desk and Menards in Rhinelander is currently #4 in Building product sales in the nation. Literally a gold mine for them as more people are moving up this way and dumping money into their homes.

Sweep800

IMG_0078.jpeg So the wall on the right has the stupid end clips and the back wall is missing the stupid clips. I prefer it without the 1/8” gaps everywhere! (Ran out of them) 😂 LOL!

pclark

Haven't posted in awhile about the build so here goes, Pictures will follow but alot has happened. The roof/shingles were done on Tuesday this week, wasn't sure it was going to happen but 6 guys showed up at 2pm and I'll I will say is that they were really hard workers and they roofed my garage in 3 hours and were done, cleaned up and out of here by 5pm. Nice, because we had some shitty rainy, icy, snowy weather that night so all is totally dried in. I started insulating, and with that I stapled the vent batts in downstairs and upstairs, the furnace guy came and installed the furnace, (he's coming back next week to hook up the gas and test run it), I work with guys who I help them install so I can learn about the trades. I started electrical and have finished about 66% of the lower level, I started running wire upstairs and hope to get things to a point where I can get insulated up there soon. All in all, it's good to be at a point where I'm dried in and all of my work is now indoors, The soffit and facia guy is going to finish up next week, (50's in November, was certainly hoping for it and the Good Lord was on my side!) I'll start to build in the shop soon but I have to tell you it's really nice to have a place to put all my stuff inside. More to come......
1699672222952.png
1699672263448.png
1699672320321.png
1699672354883.png
1699672386115.png
1699672409540.png
View attachment 69146 So the wall on the right has the stupid end clips and the back wall is missing the stupid clips. I prefer it without the 1/8” gaps everywhere! (Ran out of them) 😂 LOL!

pclark

Also got a nice compliment from the roofers and the soffit guy how square everything was and it shows in the pictures. I was intrigued by the comments and so I asked what they encountered in new home construction and they told me point blank that it's quite a shit show, anything goes and they just have to deal with it. Well, I'm glad I was able to do things right and it was nice that they told me job well done.

whitedust

Paul looks great and similar to the color my wife chose for our house. 40s and 50s in SE WI has extended the roofing season here as we sustained tennis ball hail damage in July. We got ours done in September now others have settled with roof insurance and roofs going on next door and across the street all picked similar dark color mix to yours. I wonder how long this warm weather will last? I’m good with warm Fall and quick change to cold winter in December. 😃