Summer Vintage Projects 2013

Bradzoo

Well some days you get alot done and some days well ya don't, I had good intensions of putting the skid in and getting off the lift and back on its feet yesterday, but 4 hours at work turned into 9 and then when I got home and looked at the wood pile I figured I better get some cut. So 2 truck loads of wood later I finally made to the barn but was to tired to wrestle with the skid so I cut the new exhaust hole (I really hated to cut a hole in that belly pan) and got the exhaust poking through it. Then I got the hood mounted, it really looks nice I think and it has ended up fitting pretty good, but I didn't get any pic's my phone was in the house and today will be a wash also, work then a birthday party so Kelly now is your chance to catch up!!!

I think not only the engine but the whole sled has that cool tuff look, you know not Paul Newman more like Steve McQueen.,HAHAHA

Bradzoooooo

skiroule

Kelly,

Did you ever consider comedy? You seem to crack me up with almost every post! :)

I’ll tell you Mark, if you want comedy you’ll have to come down and watch me work on the sled.

Today was a classic example. I didn’t have the rear bumper bolts painted but I wanted to see how the bumper looked so I just slid it in and left it loose. I never gave it a thought later when I grabbed it and gave it a good yank to roll the sled around. I’ll leave the outcome to your imagination but the only thing that could have improved it was if I had stepped in a banana crème pie on my journey across the garage with now-detached bumper firmly in hand.

Follies aside, some stuff did get done today. Guess the jackshaft assembly will be the next thing on the agenda.

Skis_On_1_zps643d1c1c.jpg

Skis_On_2_zpsc115155d.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Man is that looking sweet! It looks like it's brand new coming down the assembly line. The red really looks nice.

snoluver1

Looking fantastic Kelly!!!! I love the red ski loops. Really a nice touch. Looks like we need to set up a meeting ASAP! I'll have to see if I can convince the Gestapo to give me a weekend off soon.

skiroule

Thanks boys!
I suppose one shouldn’t get this excited about a caliper but I think this Kelsey-Hayes unit is almost a work of art. Way different from the puck style on the 77’s. More importantly, even after almost four decades, the piston works perfectly and doesn’t leak a drop of fluid.

Caliper_zpse80403fa.jpg

Have to take a couple of nights off this week to break down one of the 77’s into parts. I hate to take time away from the 79 but there is a minor uprising on the home front regarding the lack of vehicle space in the garage.

Bradzoo

Here ya go Adam this is on Vintage Sleds

im selling my 1972 tnt 440 skidoo its been in storege for over 12 years.was last rode in 2002. drove fine back then, now i cant get spark, im sure its simple, i just dont have time to mess with it..it has great compression.3000 miles, seat foam is ok, just has the split in front..hood has minor stress cracks..$400. buys it..ill store for free if paid in full untill you can come pick it up..call/tex me for info email is fake. chris 608-751-1880 its located in Edgerton WI.25 mins south of Madison

Bradzoo

snoluver1

im selling my 1972 tnt 440 skidoo its been in storege for over 12 years.was last rode in 2002. drove fine back then, now i cant get spark, im sure its simple, i just dont have time to mess with it..it has great compression.3000 miles, seat foam is ok, just has the split in front..hood has minor stress cracks..$400. buys it..ill store for free if paid in full untill you can come pick it up..call/tex me for info email is fake. chris 608-751-1880 its located in Edgerton WI.25 mins south of Madison

Bradzoo

Awh crap! You just had to show me this didn't ya. Lol!
I still haven't figured out how to explain my latest purchase to the wife. "Its all that Kelly's fault" hasn't seemed to get me very far. If I brought home another one right now, I think I would be sleeping in the snowmobile trailer! That is VERY tempting though. Just bad timing for me!

Bradzoo

I still haven't figured out how to explain my latest purchase to the wife. "Its all that Kelly's fault" hasn't seemed to get me very far. If I brought home another one right now, I think I would be sleeping in the snowmobile trailer! That is VERY tempting though. Just bad timing for me!

I'm in the same boat with the wife, but I have to find a way to get them past her cause I found a deal that I couldn't pass up, so I'll probably be sleeping in the barn for a while. I can't let the cat of the bag yet until I get them home and tucked in but I come close to hitting the mother load.

Bradzoo

garyl62

Bradzoo

I'm in the same boat with the wife, but I have to find a way to get them past her cause I found a deal that I couldn't pass up, so I'll probably be sleeping in the barn for a while. I can't let the cat of the bag yet until I get them home and tucked in but I come close to hitting the mother load.

Bradzoo

Guys, you're both missing the silver lining to your cloud. He says he'll "store it for free if you pay for it" Just send him the cash and tell him you can't get it until April. You'll be able to come up with a good story about how you got it by then. :)

skiroule

It’s funny. I’ve had considerable success blaming you guys for everything. Apparently you’re working a tougher crowd. Yes, Brad did hit the mother lode and I’m already trying to get dibs on a piece of the action.

After tonight I can see where it must have been a good feeling for Brad and Jeff to get their sleds “on their feet”. Nice to have the jackshaft, driveshaft, track, and suspension in. Lots of little stuff and tweaking to do now so the excitement is probably over for awhile.

Track_On_zps0b012097.jpg

Was going to us the original track because it was in good shape but I got a killer deal on this track from Don Soukup (aka Dr. Mario) last summer and I figured I might as well use it. Apparently no one wanted one with midnight blue cleats. I thought it was kind of cool, although it will most likely need some "kat klaws". I'll clean the other one up in case I decide to use it on a future project.

Track_Dr_Mario_zps4f453f66.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

It continues to look great Kelly! Did you restore your other one like this? Maybe you will need to sell one to me!

I'm anxious to hear what the mother lode is that Brad is getting!! :)

skiroule

The 340 got a lot of the same treatment but it was in so much better shape mechanically I didn’t have to deal with a lot of engine and drivetrain problems just to get it in riding shape and it will probably be OK this season. At a minimum, I would like to replace the speedo side shaft bearing before riding it this year because, as Brad and I have painfully discovered, it is prone to failure. After this season (or during the season), I do plan to go back and do the mechanical stuff I didn’t do, which would include the following:

New driveshaft and jackshaft bearings
Replacement drivers
Engine top end rebuild
Rebuilt clutch
Track work (cleanup and rivet replacement)

As to what will happen then, it’s hard to say. There is that 77 lurking in the background that is asking for a second life (I'm already squirreling away parts). If I were to take on that one, something may have to go eventually to fund other projects.

snoluver1

Man that thing is looking great Skiroule! Setting her down on her feet is a major milestone!! I imagine your getting pretty excited now.

I agree the blue cleats are pretty neat! I don't think I would want to be the guy that had to put all those rivits back in though!

I'm curious about this mother load also. What gives Brad? The suspense is killing me. Lol!

Bradzoo

Well I guy I work with has some old sleds in his barn that he has finally decided to part with, I have been on him for a while now and he shocked me the other day by telling me what he wanted for them. One is a 79 TX 440 that runs which as you know is a big plus, there are 3 other high performance sleds and a 440 Ski Doo Everest with an engine in a basket. Kelly has 1st dibs on one of them which is a Chaparral SSX 440, the other 2 are a little more rare both are 440 Speedways, so now I have to break it to my wife that I bought them.

Bradzooooo

snoluver1

Well I guy I work with has some old sleds in his barn that he has finally decided to part with, I have been on him for a while now and he shocked me the other day by telling me what he wanted for them. One is a 79 TX 440 that runs which as you know is a big plus, there are 3 other high performance sleds and a 440 Ski Doo Everest with an engine in a basket. Kelly has 1st dibs on one of them which is a Chaparral SSX 440, the other 2 are a little more rare both are 440 Speedways, so now I have to break it to my wife that I bought them.

Bradzooooo

Holy crap!! Not one, but two Speedways?? And an SSX 440? Yep, I'd say that haul is worth sleeping in the barn over! Lol. Congrats!
Post up some pics when you get these bad boys home!

skiroule

That was pretty much my reaction. TWO Speedways? Those things are like gold.

I'm pretty excited that I might have a shot at getting my grubby little hands on the SSX. It would look really good in the X-Sled stable. Should that happen, then I'll have some explaining to do, but as Gary so accurately pointed out, we have time to get our story down.

In case you didn't know, the 72 TNT that Brad mentioned is located near Madison. Too bad you're not going by there in say, a week or so.

Bradzoo

In case you didn't know, the 72 TNT that Brad mentioned is located near Madison. Too bad you're not going by there in say, a week or so.

That kinda my thoughts also, Adam just tell her it was a package deal, or maybe the TNT just followed you home, or maybe it just looked lonely so you thought you would adopt it, ya got a little time, maybe a free to good home story or better yet Kelly twisted your arm and made you get it.HAHAHAHAHA

PS. I told her last night because she gets on here sometimes to check up on me, it went better than I thought but as of now I won't be able to keep all of them, but thats now, its harder to get them out of the barn than it is to get them in.

Bradzoooo

cpaum

Great Job everyone. I really enjoy seeing so many people put in so much hard work on some old iron. Keep them alive and keep enjoying it.

Also at the Monticello vintage snowmobile show. There is cash prizes for the top sleds! Bring those Vintage sleds to the show and show off your work. Win some money and trophy. There is also free door prizes that will be given away. Polaris snowmobile, One week stay at island park cabins (worth 1,900) and more.

Monticello mn Frostbite snowmobile show!! Check it out. Last years winner was a Rupp

snoluver1

Oh trust me, that was the first thought that popped into my head.Unfortunately, I just have too many cards stacked against me to pull this off right now. Between the Summit purchase, 3,count em, THREE trips out west planned for this year, a possible track purchase for my cat, there is just no way I can spend any more cash right now. More going out than coming in seems to be the general tone around my household!Wonder if he offers layaway plans? Lol.