The Namesake

kirk600

Great job! Almost to rider status again, cannot wait to hear the rode report! Hopefully all the snow sticks around a little while

skiroule

Below zero temps today and in the near future should mean that the recent snow will stick around for a while, certainly long enough for a good test ride:).

Just a few small subtle changes today to wrap up the tunnel work – Installed the foot pads and applied the 440 tunnel decals. Also installed the all-important snow flap.
DSC_0081_1.jpg DSC_0080_1.jpg

skiroule

Got all the way up to -4 today so it seemed like a perfect day for a first ride.

It brought back a lot of memories of just how much fun these RTX’s are to ride. Took it a little easy until l can take a look at the plugs, but it was really hard to stay off the throttle. Even so, I can tell that this little mule has some snort.
DSC_0077_1.jpg

DSC_0082_1.jpg

DSC_0083_1.jpg

mezz

Gorgeous! I'll bet the cold temps really added to the snap of the throttle. That is a piece of art! Enjoy & Happy New Year to you & your family.

kirk600

WOW that's great Kelly! Yes another great project nearing completion! I think that's what one for every day of the week now?LOL I knew you were close to hitting the snow but wow you worked quickly and it looks fabulous! Those pictures look great, the light really makes the green stand out.
Glad you made it before the end of the year, now you can enjoy it get those miles under your belt and share pictures of you and your wife riding your "New"old sleds together, just like you did what 40 years ago? And have the rest of the family join in too!
Happy New Year Kelly keep up the good work!!

Kirk

skiroule

Thanks guys, if you don’t think the encouragement and having people check in on the project from time to time have helped me in the rebuild effort, you’d be wrong. It’s a big deal!

After I took the photos and checked the plugs, I couldn’t resist a few more aggressive runs up and down the road and around the yard. For a vintage sled, this thing rips. These Sachs motors will really wind up and like Mezz said, the cold gives them a little extra snap.

When I finished playing in the snow, I brought it back in the shop and gave it a good once-over. Everything looks excellent. No leaks, nothing came loose or fell off, track alignment looks good, lights all work, and it purrs like a kitten.

So as of 12.31.2021, I’m saying Project RTX is completed.

Over the years, reviewers and snowmobile magazines have described this sled design as “iconic” and I agree. The design came out when a lot of sleds still looked and rode like lawn tractors with skis. It was pretty cool to, as Gary put it, bring one back from the dead.

It was always a goal to finish this project in 2021, I just didn’t know it would be December instead of January. There are no projects on the horizon right now but of course that could change if the right sled came along. In the meantime, I have some riding to do and plenty of maintenance activities to keep me busy.

Thanks once again for all your support and interest!

mezz

I was confident enough to shoot some video of the very first ride so I figured that a little collection of excerpts from that footage would serve as a good final chapter for this project.

Sounds as good as it looks. Memories.... Thank you for sharing it all....:cool:(y):cool:

heckler56

Wow! Looks great, sounds great. Congradulations on a job well done preserving a piece of history. Thank you for sharing your build/journey with us.

goofy600

Great video love the fact that you are not afraid to let a tree branch hit the sled it means it’s made to ride and not just looked at. Well done.

euphoric1

I had to take a look back at the very first post on this project and WOW!!! I've said it before...skiroule..you are definately a MASTER at your craft! looks factory fresh, sounds like it runs like a swiss clock! I so enjoy following your projects and am looking forward to the...next? She's a beauty!!!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you think about it, there's probably only a handful of people on the planet that could do what he does with his skillset and resources.

skiroule

It’s really rewarding to hear that you guys have enjoyed the projects and my sharing of the successes, failures, and general boneheaded moves along the way. As I’ve said many times before, knowing that people are following the project progress (or lack thereof) has always helped me stay focused and dig in when things get a little tough. It’s a good feeling when you can finally show people that, yes, it did get finished.

This sled is making a strong case to be my favorite. There’s just something about the way it feels and rides. My old XC 600 is getting a little tired and I really think the RTX would give it a run for its money up to 40 – 45 mph.
Great video love the fact that you are not afraid to let a tree branch hit the sled it means it’s made to ride and not just looked at. Well done.
This gave me a chuckle because people that have ridden with me know of my fascination with trees and brush, but your comment is exactly what I hope people take away from any restoration project I might attempt. This sled was built to be ridden. I have a ton of respect for the effort that goes into building a show-only sled but I would much rather go out, fire it up, and take a spin on some fresh white stuff.