The Namesake

skiroule

Yeah DWZ, that photo brings back a lot of good memories. It was a different experience then for sure. Virtually no access to bars/restaurants in our riding area and with no trail system (unless you count deer trails), all riding was, by definition, off-trail, so a 30 mile day was a pretty full day of riding. This didn’t mean that we always motored along at a leisurely pace. There were some pretty spirited drag races on the fields and unplowed county roads. Burned out a little carbon (and an occasional piston).

skiroule

Made a couple of subtle changes that might not be very obvious in this latest photo. Got the front bumper mounted and the chain case cover installed. Going with a heavier gasket cord than original because I figure the bigger cord will let me use less torque on the cover bolts and still get a good seal. We’ll see, I guess. Think I saw something on this site about Klotz lube being less likely to leak so I’m going to give it a try.

DSC_1201.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Installed the tank so I could finalize my fabricated (read “improvised”) gas tank retention system. Found a couple of thin aluminum bars in my junk pile of metal stock and formed them to fit the tank. Added some dense foam cushion on the underside of the bars, used bolts to fasten the straps up front, and turnbuckles in the rear to allow for some tension adjustment on the straps. It’s a little crude but at least it won’t rip the ears off the tank under stress like the original system did and the tank is not going anywhere from its mounted position. Sled is ready to come off the table now but it will be a while before I can get to that.

DSC_1202.JPG

DSC_1205.JPG

skiroule

Thanks guys! Apologies in advance if there are a bunch of typos in this post, but one hand is not cooperating. Just when I’d finally been able to get out and make some progress on the project, it hit a snag. In this year of medical issue “firsts” for me, I got hit with another one about a week and a half ago. Out of nowhere I suffered a fairly significant stroke. No warning, no indication that I was a high risk, blood pressure was great, and yet here I am. I’m currently enrolled in a physical therapy “boot camp”, which is a 24/7 residency at the local hospital to receive more intense therapy. It’s producing improvement but one had to see some humor in my motor control the first few days. If you’ve ever seen the old Tim Conway dentist bit, my movement was pretty much like his. I wanted to post this to explain the lack of activity in the near term on the RTX but I’m hopeful that I will be back at it by sometime in the fall. In the meantime, I’m going to just sit back and enjoy Kirk’s progress on his vintage gems.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Geeze Kelly!<br><br>So sorry and saddened to hear of your latest medical whammy. I just finished a prayer for you to have a speedy and full recovery, as well as strength and patience to get there!<br><br>Please keep us posted on how you are doing. To me that is more important to know than the progress on the sled.<br><br>Be well and God bless!<br><br>-John

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelly, sorry to hear this. Good luck with the therapy, you are gonna need those motor skills for your hobby interests for sure. I was not familiar with the Tim Conway bit, after watching it, it gave me reason to smile and glad your sense of humor has prevailed. In the meantime, listen to the Doctors and let us know if you need us to sneak in a pack of smokes or a bottle of something strong. Godspeed on your recovery!

Gary

skiroule

Thanks John and Gary for the prayers and encouragement. It really does mean a lot and keeps me pushing on. While I’m pretty confident that I will make a relatively complete recovery, the scope of my sledding activities will have to change. It saddens me a little to say that my mountain riding days are over. Being on blood thinners for life now, I can’t risk an injury in the back country where I could bleed to death (internally or externally) long before I could get medical help. I have tons of memories, photos, and video to remind me of all the great rides, plus my vintage stuff to help fill the void but I’ll still miss exploring the mountains with my old red, white, and blue friend.
photo.JPG

elf

Kelly, Very sorry to hear about this. Just when you could finally get back to your cabin to have this happen. I guess the positive is it could've been much worse! Praying for a complete recovery for you and being able to get back to doing what you love.

D

Deleted member 10829

Sorry to hear about this Kelly!  I know you will work hard and get back to as close to normal, or even normal, as possible. Take care my friend and you will be in my prayers!

kirk600

Gee Kelly that is not the updates we were expecting...... hope you make a full recovery it sounds like you are in good hands. Every day is a gift, and hopefully you can continue to improve and get back to the people and the things you love to do.

Will have to get busy as you pushed me into the limelight for now!!! Thanks for the push and I hope I don't disappoint!!!! Take care Kelly and you have lots of friends here praying for you.

Kirk

skiroule

Thanks guys. Think your thoughts and words of encouragement are working, as progress is occurring. The therapy staff here Is very supportive but also demanding and it’s paying off. They have moved me from a walker to a cane to walking independently in just a few days. Also hitting the weight room a lot now, which is brutal. I wasn’t in that great of shape before this incident. No pressure Kirk, I know you take the time to do things right so when we get an update I know that the work will be well done.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So great to her Kelly! Do everything those PT bastards tell you to do! They really know their stuff! It's amazing how well they can whip one back into shape!<br><br>Don't be too down about giving up the out west riding. I have done the same. Would love to have you come to the Keweenaw again and ride. Could even put you up in the apartment in the Barndeeminimum!<br><br>-John

skiroule

So great to her Kelly! Do everything those PT bastards tell you to do! They really know their stuff! It's amazing how well they can whip one back into shape! Don't be too down about giving up the out west riding. I have done the same. Would love to have you come to the Keweenaw again and ride. Could even put you up in the apartment in the Barndeeminimum! -John

Yep, when the therapists tell you what to do, you do your best to do it. If they think you’re dogging it, they have ways of really making you pay. Would love to get back to the Keweenaw. For no good reason it’s been too long. Another ride would be a heck of a lot fun, although we might need some adult supervision to keep us out of trouble. I think I could settle into the Barndeeminimum nicely and if you were see me pull in with a sled in the back of the truck and a U-Haul trailer behind, you might be re-thinking your offer.

euphoric1

skiroule, I am very sorry to hear what happened to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. The problem with strokes is there are usually no warning signs and you never know what or how severe the outcome will be, I have had one stroke and one TIA, luckily the stroke was not severe and I was very close to a medical facility but knowing how it affected me then I can only imagine what you are going through and again I pray you will have a speedy and full recovery so that you can return to working your hobby and perform the magic we see on your posts here. As far as blood thinners go...not so bad as long as there are no major injuries, just have to be a bit more careful, I take 3 a day now since my last TIA and I sustained a pretty good injury at my shop last year and not going to lie, the bleeding was not pretty. But unfortunately these are thinks we have to take to keep ourselves on the green side of the sod, and it will halp to prevent any reoccurring strokes as sometimes one can follow right after another and be worse than the one that occurred, and like I said you never know what the outcome will be afterwards. Hopefully you can return to your craft soon, hopefully you will not give up or have to give up any of the things you enjoy doing. Take care and thoughts and prayers are with you.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, when the therapists tell you what to do, you do your best to do it. If they think you’re dogging it, they have ways of really making you pay. Would love to get back to the Keweenaw. For no good reason it’s been too long. Another ride would be a heck of a lot fun, although we might need some adult supervision to keep us out of trouble. I think I could settle into the Barndeeminimum nicely and if you were see me pull in with a sled in the back of the truck and a U-Haul trailer behind, you might be re-thinking your offer.
<br><br>Haha! Sounds like we might be onto something here!<br>
<br>

mezz

Kelly, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well. Medical set backs suck, but, I know you will persevere. Keep that inner strength going, at the same time, pace yourself. Take care and be well. -Mezz 

skiroule

Thanks Mezz, words to live by for sure.

skiroule, I am very sorry to hear what happened to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. The problem with strokes is there are usually no warning signs and you never know what or how severe the outcome will be, I have had one stroke and one TIA, luckily the stroke was not severe and I was very close to a medical facility but knowing how it affected me then I can only imagine what you are going through and again I pray you will have a speedy and full recovery so that you can return to working your hobby and perform the magic we see on your posts here. As far as blood thinners go...not so bad as long as there are no major injuries, just have to be a bit more careful, I take 3 a day now since my last TIA and I sustained a pretty good injury at my shop last year and not going to lie, the bleeding was not pretty. But unfortunately these are thinks we have to take to keep ourselves on the green side of the sod, and it will halp to prevent any reoccurring strokes as sometimes one can follow right after another and be worse than the one that occurred, and like I said you never know what the outcome will be afterwards. Hopefully you can return to your craft soon, hopefully you will not give up or have to give up any of the things you enjoy doing. Take care and thoughts and prayers are with you.

Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated Mr. E. Also, excellent advice and info, especially from someone who has been there. I like your philosophy of not letting the circumstances change things about the way you live that don’t have to change. I am surprised that you had a TIA after a big-time stroke. I was under the impression that it typically happened the other way. In any case, it is comforting to know that you have returned to a reasonably normal life and it gives me hope that I can do the same.

heckler56

Sorry to hear of your setback. Wishing you a speedy recovery. <br>Consider getting a satellite capable gps for future country excursions. I carry a Garman 66i. It links to your phone and provides texting communications when you don’t have cell service. Friends and family can follow you and you can send gps coordinates in emergency.