Tomahawk Update 2-22-23

pclark

Weather flirting with disaster again March Solar angles are bad enough on their own. I’m disappointed but it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️
Went to Rhinelander today by car and the grade was already burned through in spots, thats how hot the sun is right now. Loads of peeps out enjoying the weather and trails, they look real nice and maybe 3-6" more on Monday.

Best trails I rode all day today were elderon hatley area. I wouldn’t even drive that far to tomahawk up 51 unless you have a place up there.
Good to know thank you for the info Indy. Wood county is open but rode a quick 40 miles after work Friday and they really do need more snow and after yesterday's sun warm and what we could tell fairly heavy local traffic, can't imagine they would be much fun to ride today. We will see how things shake out this week might be able to try that next Sunday. On our way to Tomahawk now. Happy trails!

attakman

Heading out for ride with the wife...will try and post pictures...the railrode grade was ok..but ya the sun is doing us no favors in the high traffic areas...I would stay off the railroad grades..they got pounded yesterday...very heavy traffic...(sorry I couldn't respond last night...was working, then went for a short ride)

Heading out for ride with the wife...will try and post pictures...the railrode grade was ok..but ya the sun is doing us no favors in the high traffic areas...I would stay off the railroad grades..they got pounded yesterday...very heavy traffic...(sorry I couldn't respond last night...was working, then went for a short ride)
Great day of riding dropped at s park & ride took 17S To 39 to 51 N to Harrison hills and then 15 n to 16 back to S , 82 great miles thanks.
to the clubs and Especially the Knight Owls once again you did not disappoint, totally sweet trails. Fingers crossed for just one more weekend!

attakman

I thought it was an 8 out 10...excellent ride today...only I went west..had lunch at Gordos...and went out to tripoli...then back along 86 to the somo area...beautiful...not a rough trail anywhere....along 8 was bad, as the sun was melting the snow on the side of the road, the Hiawatha, was beat down to the gravel in spots...and we found a few icy corners...or it would have been a 10/10 score...lets hope we get more snow than rain tomorrow...if we do the trails should be good for next weekend again...but we are definitely heading towards spring, and the clock is ticking on our season 20230226_134013.jpg

pclark

I thought it was an 8 out 10...excellent ride today...only I went west..had lunch at Gordos...and went out to tripoli...then back along 86 to the somo area...beautiful...not a rough trail anywhere....along 8 was bad, as the sun was melting the snow on the side of the road, the Hiawatha, was beat down to the gravel in spots...and we found a few icy corners...or it would have been a 10/10 score...lets hope we get more snow than rain tomorrow...if we do the trails should be good for next weekend again...but we are definitely heading towards spring, and the clock is ticking on our season View attachment 68051
Sweet Pic!

attakman

Been waiting to say anything...it's been mostly snow up here with just a bit of freezing rain and sleet....but so far only an inch here....it is lightly snowing here now.....not sure if we will see the 3-5 inches (unless this intensifies)...but it certainly didn't hurt us....should be another good weekend of riding for sure (maybe two, if we can keep rain and 40 degree temps to a minimum)

attakman

so far.....not much...inch or two and lightly snowing....looking more and more like an over blown forecast...the good thing is there really wasn't much rain/freezing rain up here....a bit of sleet....but mostly snow.....roads suck, and it's wet out there, but no melt down, and added a bit more snow so far

starlaker

I thought it was an 8 out 10...excellent ride today...only I went west..had lunch at Gordos...and went out to tripoli...then back along 86 to the somo area...beautiful...not a rough trail anywhere....along 8 was bad, as the sun was melting the snow on the side of the road, the Hiawatha, was beat down to the gravel in spots...and we found a few icy corners...or it would have been a 10/10 score...lets hope we get more snow than rain tomorrow...if we do the trails should be good for next weekend again...but we are definitely heading towards spring, and the clock is ticking on our season View attachment 68051
It sure was a great day for riding. These pictures are really great. I usually don't take pictures when out riding but probably should, yesterday could have gotten a few great shots of nothing but smooth trails and plenty of deer hanging out in and around the trails. So glad we came up again. Wasn't quite sure what we were going to encounter. but it was spectacular. Even if we don't get one more weekend, we will be satisfied with our riding season. We did end up on the channel 7 news last night though. When we got back to the park and ride to load up Channel 7 was there doing a bit on how the snow was a welcome gift for snowmobilers. They didn't interview us but talked to some others that were doing the same thing we were doing; I think they were from Radom Lake. Thank you again for your honest reports on the trails in your area. Maybe someday I can repay the favor, if we ever get anything worth talking about in Wood County. I Will be following closely reports for next weekend.

SHOOT2KILL

worth talking about in Wood County.
I rode Adams Co early friday morning...Everything south of Hwy 82 was groomed perfect all the way to the Columbia Co line just Northeast of the Dells...Then rode from there up to Arkdale via Grand Marsh...Adams...ungroomed but nice shape 7 out of 10...129 miles for the day...Rode Marquette Co early Sunday morning...Rough in spots till I crossed the Adams-Marquette county line...Adams was perfectly groomed all the way to Adams/Friendship and then back down thru White creek...Easton...Brooks...Back to Oxford...Finished with another 94 miles....

starlaker

I rode Adams Co early friday morning...Everything south of Hwy 82 was groomed perfect all the way to the Columbia Co line just Northeast of the Dells...Then rode from there up to Arkdale via Grand Marsh...Adams...ungroomed but nice shape 7 out of 10...129 miles for the day...Rode Marquette Co early Sunday morning...Rough in spots till I crossed the Adams-Marquette county line...Adams was perfectly groomed all the way to Adams/Friendship and then back down thru White creek...Easton...Brooks...Back to Oxford...Finished with another 94 miles....
Always love riding around here when we can, we did go out Friday night after work headed north to plover and did a loop through Kellner and back to southern wood, put on a quick 60 miles but here in our area we really did need more snow. Lots of bare spots even in the woods and the fields were especially rough as there was not enough snow to fill in the plow furloughs. Was hoping though. Been 3 years since trails have even been open here on our clubs trails but it's been fun traveling to different areas to ride too. This year we hit many areas we have never rode before and found some great low traffic areas that we will definitely be revisiting again when we can. Any day you can ride is a great day. Hoping for one more weekend although been saying that the last 3 so may get lucky one more time. Then time to put the sleds away, get back to work and make some money so we can do it all over again next year.

wisco-mb

We were riding around that area on Friday. Trails around Coloma were really good. Endeavor and part of Neshkoro were the only clubs that groomed in Marquette county. Oxford had a good turnout for their breakfast club fundraiser on Saturday morning.
It was great to leave from my house, and not have to trailer! First time all year. We got pounded with rain today. That will probably be it.
Starlake - those chisel plowed fields were rough, but what can you do.