Trail 2 - Losing a section due to change of ownership

ICT Sledder

I remember something about a land owner tired of the loud exhaust at night people on and off the gas alot with modified exhaust but I could be wrong.
I'd get tired of that too. Not that I'm hoping for trails to be closed.

There's maybe nothing more that elicits a "WTF?" from me than hearing some clown with a loud exhaust running down a perfectly straight grade trail going on and off the gas. Like the paint chip eating, nose pickers of the sled world.

hermie

I'd get tired of that too. Not that I'm hoping for trails to be closed.

There's maybe nothing more that elicits a "WTF?" from me than hearing some clown with a loud exhaust running down a perfectly straight grade trail going on and off the gas. Like the paint chip eating, nose pickers of the sled world.
I can honestly say that for a while after the exhaust laws came out it seemed like you didn't hear many modified exhaust out on the trails. The last few years I have been hearing a lot more modified exhaust and some of them are extremely loud. I don't get why the performance companies are making the soso called mountain cans and trying to kill the same sport that they rely to make money. The exhaust laws are useless when there is no one patrolling them and the fines are not near high enough. This closure so far doesn't seem to be noise related. The closure seems like a new owner took over and decided they don't want sleds going through there property, hopefully they can find a solution. There is no way they can find one in 2 months so hopefully the ski resort will allow access for this season.

chunk06

I can honestly say that for a while after the exhaust laws came out it seemed like you didn't hear many modified exhaust out on the trails. The last few years I have been hearing a lot more modified exhaust and some of them are extremely loud. I don't get why the performance companies are making the soso called mountain cans and trying to kill the same sport that they rely to make money. The exhaust laws are useless when there is no one patrolling them and the fines are not near high enough. This closure so far doesn't seem to be noise related. The closure seems like a new owner took over and decided they don't want sleds going through there property, hopefully they can find a solution. There is no way they can find one in 2 months so hopefully the ski resort will allow access for this season
I feel the same way about aftermarket exhaust and the companies that build them. There is no need for them except for closed course racing and even that doesn't help the cause. I try to avoid buying anything from companies that make them. I'm not one to like new laws, but they need stricter ones to enforce anything but OEM.

elf

The new owners also own Lutsen resort and there is trails running right to the lodges and bars there. But the resort doesn't own the lodges or bars except for Papa Charlies. But you can ride up the edge of the road to Papa Charlies (at least I have). Of course the food is bad, the beer is warm, and it's overpriced so we usually go to the other ones up there. But while I don't know if any of the trails cross land that they actually own I've never gotten any indication they were unfriendly to motorized sports or snowmobiles.

m8man

So if I understand this correctly, a small portion of easement that runs through Big Snow property is going to affect E/W snowmobile traffic on trail 2 from Marenisco, to Wakefield, Bessemer, and Ironwood. If that's the case, there will be a huge impact on all of those small-town local businesses that appreciate our dollars. Good luck with your fight GRTA and if you would, put some information out where I/we as a snowmobile community can make any financial contributions that assist you in your cause. Also, lets start making some internet, bar, restaurant, negative noise about Big Snow new owner not being a good neighbor and team player. Nothing hurts more than negative publicity and financial losses because of poor judgement.
Yup just like the new owners of the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, keep gas engines and people who spend money away.....attract van sleeping, star gazing, type peeps. Then they wonder why businesses fail, tax revenues drop, blight happens, etc.

But let’s not forget if peeps followed trail rules/postings we may not be in this situation

M8man. 🍺🍸🥃

hermie

Sounds promising for a solution for this winter. That is good news but hopefully they will be able to find a permanent solution down the road. I don't think Snowriver was expecting to get such a backlash.

united

I don't think the new owners understood the insurance situation.

From the earlier post:
"As a ski resort, it is our responsibility to provide a comfortable, enjoyable, and safe skiing and boarding experience for our guests, including many families with young children. While we embrace and encourage all forms of winter recreation, the proximity of a busy snowmobile trail to our guests and our ski area operations creates hazards that are not only not covered by our insurance but are also not safe. While we do employ snowmobiles as part of our operations, including snowmaking and ski patrol, these trips are strictly limited, done by trained staff, are covered by insurance and are operated based on best industry safety protocols."

whitedust

Sounds promising for a solution for this winter. That is good news but hopefully they will be able to find a permanent solution down the road. I don't think Snowriver was expecting to get such a backlash.
Snowriver nuked the snowmobile business in the Big Snow country. Drop a bomb and yes you get backlash. Maybe misunderstood the insurance situation, maybe thought they were eliminating a personal nuisance only they know for sure. Hopefully the trail stays open!

goofy600

What I liked about the post is they brought the local government into the picture. Now it is known throughout the community and the loss of income that the snowmobile community brings will help the local government to help with a solution. So yes now new owners hopefully understand how important all outdoor activities are in the UP and north woods, without them entire communities suffer. Now if we can just get the asshats of our sport to understand that.

wisco-mb

This is not good.

They requested local stakeholders provide a $12 million excess layer liability policy in addition to the $2 million already provided;
Wow!
It seems they tried their best to not allow the trail, but still looking like they tried. I would love to hear Safehold Insurance stance. Seems fishy.

We call on businesses across the Midwest who support Midwest snowmobiling to start drafting your letter of support and impact. We ask you – the snowmobilers and skiers – to draft your letters of support and impact. You can mail them to GRTA, 708 W Longyear ST, Bessemer, MI 49911. You can email them to info@gogebicrangeta.org. Please, contact your local representative and senator and demand their action in saving snowmobile trail 2 and building phase 3 of the Iron Belle Trail through this difficult area. It’s time the Western U.P. permanently connects its tremendous trails for the benefit of all.

whitedust

SnowRiver doesn’t want trail 2 coming thru their property and they don’t care about the negative repercussion to snowmobilers or snow support businesses. The timing is terrible with big snow coming in November and trails opening December 1. OUCH!!!

hermie

Definitely seems like they never had plans to let the trail keep going through there property. They didn't expect so many people to be upset by what they were doing,so they figured they better do some damage control and figure out another way to shut it down and say are hands are tied. When it comes down to it in the end it's there property and they can do what they want with it. It's really too bad because it's really going to effect a lot of businesses this winter. It's going to be really hard to figure out a reroute as this was already a reroute.

goofy600

It was just run in the UP morning news that it will be closed for the season and they are still working on a reroute but it will not happen this year. So hopefully they can come up with something in the future and also hope it gets out to every skier to what this owner is doing and the damage they are doing to the economy of the western UP.

favoritos

Dang tough timing. Running the shoulder of 2 certainly isn't an option although it would show big increases in a certain revenue stream.

The new owner really played this one on the community. The changing stance and then ever increasing demands just kicked the can around until it was too late for a real fix. If you wanted to mess with the trail's existence, the method was effective. I can't even imagine the frustration happening as people went through discussions with that owner.

Careful what you wish for. . . .
In the big picture, the lodging and amenities throughout the community are going to see an even larger loss in volume. Those will not be sustained by resort skiers alone. There is some irony to that scenario. The very places required to make a destination event will start disappearing.
Even with the owner's "proposed" investments, the hills will have a harder time drawing the crowds needed to pay those big bills. The smart cookies on the plate know what happens then.