Trail etiquette

Snojoe

Ok so I got some questions on trail etiquette.

1. Come up head on with the groomer?(pretty sure I know the answer to this one)

2. Coming up on the groomer from behind?

3. You come up on a group or family that is riding super slow, I mean super slow right in the middle of the trail never looking back?

4. Hand signals? Yes or No

Just want to get a overall feel, especially on passing the super slow.

polarisrider1

Ok so I got some questions on trail etiquette.

1. Come up head on with the groomer?(pretty sure I know the answer to this one)

2. Coming up on the groomer from behind?

3. You come up on a group or family that is riding super slow, I mean super slow right in the middle of the trail never looking back?

4. Hand signals? Yes or No

Just want to get a overall feel, especially on passing the super slow.

1. Get off the trail or as far to the side as you can.
2. wait until the groomer acknowledges you and wait until they signal you to pass. Don't zig zag all over to get their attention and mess up the newly groomed trail.
3.Patience. pull over and take a break or wait it out to get a safe passing point such as at a stop sign, remember they also bought trail permits and their view of slow is different than yours. no sense in getting undies in a bunch and flipping them off.(it may be your church group). lol
4.no. way safer to have hands on the bars. I could care less how many you think is behind you, your rarely correct.

blu2u2

1. Get off the trail or as far to the side as you can.
2. wait until the groomer acknowledges you and wait until they signal you to pass. Don't zig zag all over to get their attention and mess up the newly groomed trail.
3.Patience. pull over and take a break or wait it out to get a safe passing point such as at a stop sign, remember they also bought trail permits and their view of slow is different than yours. no sense in getting undies in a bunch and flipping them off.(it may be your church group). lol
4.no. way safer to have hands on the bars. I could care less how many you think is behind you, your rarely correct.

X2 except for #4. If it is during the day I like to know how many sleds might be coming my way. At night it is a joke to use hand signals!

indy_500

1. get off trail or out of way
2. wait until they know you're there and pass slowly
3. give em a little bit, but if they're not out of the way in a couple miles im going to pass the heck out of you whether you like it or not. they invented a thing called mirrors.
4. only in woods and only when its safe, field riding/rr grade no point

nytro_rtx

1. get off trail or out of way
2. wait until they know you're there and pass slowly
3. give em a little bit, but if they're not out of the way in a couple miles im going to pass the heck out of you whether you like it or not. they invented a thing called mirrors.
4. only in woods and only when its safe, field riding/rr grade no point

X2 good answers indy, i agree.

polarisrider1

X2 except for #4. If it is during the day I like to know how many sleds might be coming my way. At night it is a joke to use hand signals!

Please reread #4. Never accurate especially on busy weekends.
Question #5 should be, "If I give hand signals that I am last in my group and a group of Ricky's comes up out of nowhere behind me and one of your group coming at me is killed after my clear sign, am I responsible?"

Firecatguy

they teach hand signal use in BASIC SLED SAFTEY I find this subject weird every time it comes up....why do you use turn signals in your car? I mean wth who are they to say that is safe or not? I hear ya on the entire "there more behind " but really? you see no saftey in this? I was taught this 35years ago in sled saftey class....

sledhead44

Please don't waste your time with hand signals at night, I can't see how many fingers you are holding up and I always dim my lights.

polarisrider1

they teach hand signal use in BASIC SLED SAFTEY I find this subject weird every time it comes up....why do you use turn signals in your car? I mean wth who are they to say that is safe or not? I hear ya on the entire "there more behind " but really? you see no saftey in this? I was taught this 35years ago in sled saftey class....
so was I. the green light yellow light is safer. Now Pat, why no hand signals of how many behind you while riding the byways of sturgis? What about a funeral procession? No hand signals with that group???? Are we just really looking for the fist of the last guy to signal green flag racing?

35 years ago sleds traveled much slower. I am stating that counting out the number of sleds behind you on your fingers has less safety value than say a newbie trying to hang on a bouncing sled as they come at you. I do use hand signals to let my group know we are going to slow down and/or make a turn. I guess specifing which hand signals would of been a better answer from me.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

I think most of Michigans drivers don't use their turn signals, and actually think they are saving car electricity by not using them :)

440_chazz

#4. My goal is to control the sled first and then signal second. If I can signal I will, but if I'm busy maneuvering my sled to the right side then I won't. And yes I have figured in my years of riding that signaling at night is pointless.

polarisrider1

#4. My goal is to control the sled first and then signal second. If I can signal I will, but if I'm busy maneuvering my sled to the right side then I won't. And yes I have figured in my years of riding that signaling at night is pointless.

Very good answer.

ripcord

I think most of Michigans drivers don't use their turn signals, and actually think they are saving car electricity by not using them :)
^^^Now that right there is funny. One thing I've noticed about Michigan drivers is they like to start their turn first then put on their turn signal :confused: :D

Firecatguy

so was I. the green light yellow light is safer. Now Pat, why no hand signals of how many behind you while riding the byways of sturgis? What about a funeral procession? No hand signals with that group???? Are we just really looking for the fist of the last guy to signal green flag racing?

35 years ago sleds traveled much slower. I am stating that counting out the number of sleds behind you on your fingers has less safety value than say a newbie trying to hang on a bouncing sled as they come at you. I do use hand signals to let my group know we are going to slow down and/or make a turn. I guess specifing which hand signals would of been a better answer from me.

first...I use hand signals onmy bike every time i ride the people behind me like it that way.....hand signals are the way i can LEAD 20 motorcycles across country thru towns and busy places...it works just like turn signals....but that has nothing to do with this subject as that has to do with people BEHIND you not letting people in front of you.........now lets look at snowmobiling.....tight cornners straight aways with snow dust flying 80% of you can barley see past your fogged up face mask now tell me again how being informed about whatin front of you is a bad thing????????

so I hear everyone on the bouncing out of control thing "No I really lied I dont understand that if you cant control your sled take up golf" (thats another thread alltogether) BUT HERE WHAT I ASK YOU......you say its not safe you going get in a crash or a head on.....well show me the stats?????show me the situation???show me where this happend???show me???stop taking like your al gore and making up stuff that does not and has not happend yet.....I CALL THAT FEAR MONGERING....they teach it in saftey calss you know the place where after years and years of studys and years and years of sled crash investigations they came up with a set saftey regulations and ways of ediquett......I see no viable study saying head on crashes happen cuz someone single a on coming sled....

Last edited:

ezra

I am fine with hand signals as long as it is safe to do so.
dont know why people think that when ridding in a train every person in that train feels the need to hold up a finger number I saw the first guy I know there are more till I see the fist.

if u stay on your side we are good I dont need to know how many are coming at me .

as far as passing a groomer at night if he pulles over stop offer him one of those cold beers in your back pack share your smoke and move on

Racedad223

first...I use hand signals onmy bike every time i ride the people behind me like it that way.....hand signals are the way i can LEAD 20 motorcycles across country thru towns and busy places...it works just like turn signals....but that has nothing to do with this subject as that has to do with people BEHIND you not letting people in front of you.........now lets look at snowmobiling.....tight cornners straight aways with snow dust flying 80% of you can barley see past your fogged up face mask now tell me again how being informed about whatin front of you is a bad thing????????

so I hear everyone on the bouncing out of control thing "No I really lied I dont understand that if you cant control your sled take up golf" (thats another thread alltogether) BUT HERE WHAT I ASK YOU......you say its not safe you going get in a crash or a head on.....well show me the stats?????show me the situation???show me where this happend???show me???stop taking like your al gore and making up stuff that does not and has not happend yet.....I CALL THAT FEAR MONGERING....they teach it in saftey calss you know the place where after years and years of studys and years and years of sled crash investigations they came up with a set saftey regulatins and ways of edicate......i see no viable study saying head on crashes happen cuz someone singles a on comming sled....

Groups of sleds coming towards each other on bumpy twisty trails going 20-100 mph some with little experience some with to much liquid courage some trying to keep up with their buddies and can't.... All Riding ONE Handed staring at each others hands counting fingers is idiotic! If you're riding with your child or less experienced rider behind you and you want to be out front and signal the fast groups coming just to let them know then great. And yes I know someone who died from signaling. Worst sign is the fist period.

Firecatguy

Groups of sleds coming towards each other on bumpy twisty trails going 20-100 mph some with little experience some with to much liquid courage some trying to keep up with their buddies and can't.... All Riding ONE Handed staring at each others hands counting fingers is idiotic! If you're riding with your child or less experienced rider behind you and you want to be out front and signal the fast groups coming just to let them know then great. And yes I know someone who died from signaling. Worst sign is the fist period.

some one better tell the state MN that there saftey class is bunch idiots and they should stop teaching safty as there a bunch drunks on the trail who cant ride with one hand.......took less cpl post for some one start calling people idiots........I think the idiot would be someone who thinks drunks on the trail is something we need to move over for and watch out for some one who does not know how to operate a snowmobile in FULL CONTROL....do they let people drive cars in yor state who can drive properly or in control? crazy....

Last edited: