Trespassing vidio Watch and discuss

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, that could've ended badly in so many ways. The head slaps, the kicks to the snowmobile were way over the top and if you approach anyone with a firearm in this day and age in a threatening manner you better be prepared to use it. (or receive the same in return)

I'll give the guy with the truck a little leverage if there had been vandalism and trespassing by others but he's damn lucky no one, including himself, got hurt.

...and like the signs say, "Stay on the trail or stay home".

snocrazy

Land Owner is right. Read all of the comments on the article.
Just because he has a gun on private property dealing with trespassers people want to get freaked out? The guy could have dealt with the whole deal in a much calmer fashion but I can see why he was so pissed off.

fatdaddy

As always we never know all the facts, so that being said I'm going to make a call on what I saw. It appears that this isn't the first time the land owner has had snowmobilers cross his property. So to his defense I can see how one can assume its the same people. We all have been lost due to following tracks that you think are a short cut to a diner or lake. And sometimes you simply get lost due to poor markings. Now the video suggest that the sledders had already been yelled at or flipped off because the camera guys seems to know this guy. Even if they ran off so to speak what makes the upset land owner fear for his life, and if your afraid why do you grab a gun and cut them off. I don't buy it. It appears to me the sledders are the ones that wanted to get away from this wacko. If you want to talk to someone you don't get a gun, kick the one guys sled and then punch the other guy. Thats just plain stupid and asking for trouble. Now, here's the tricky part and I'm not sure what the law in canada is but here in MN if you persued the tresspasser and didn't retreat in fear of your life. You have every right to get shot. IF the person had a concealed weapon I feel he would have been justified to shoot that farmer. Now no one wants this to happen and shooting people is not what were all about. The Farmer took it over the limits. This all could have been solved had he just stopped them and told them the issue and asked them to tell there friends. Nobody deserves to have their property damaged or have people tresspass, so as a group we all need to be watching for all parties.

fatdaddy

Snocrazy,

I didn't read all the comments but I'm pretty sure it said that he stopped them on his neighbors property. That makes him guilty of persuit. Now he did say he feared for his life, then why would you chase them and threaten them with a gun. the kick the sled and punch the other guy. That to me shows force with the intent to do harm. He's lucky he's not dead

fatdaddy

Mr. Ring also said he suspects that sledders ran over his cat, did they or didn't they. Guilty until proven innocent in Canada right.

xcr440

This is what rings out in my head about the whole situation:

"The event has left Smerechanski, who started snowmobiling this winter, wondering how bad things could have gotten."

People are NOT educated on where they can ride. Do I defend the guy with the gun who went to his neighbors property to confront? Yup.

snobuilder

This is what rings out in my head about the whole situation:......
" .....Do I defend the guy with the gun who went to his neighbors property to confront? Yup.

Then I have to assume you would also defend the right of the sledders having an equal opportunity to pull a gun and defend themselves, correct?

I am fairly sure that is what comments refering to "how bad it could have gotten" meant.

fireman7

Ill tell u right now with the kicks to the sled and slap to the head. I don't care if its private property or not his old *** would have been dropped right there and the gun would be with me leaving on the sled. Bash away what it would do for the sport

wishbone

Why did the first sled ride up and start bitching at a guy with a gun in his hand. And If you listen the one sled has a loud pipe on it too. Both sides acted poorly, but the landowner still has the upper hand.

russholio

In theory I could understand the sledders getting lost or off the trail unintentionally, for any number of reasons. We've all done it. Now, I don't know how the trails are in western Canada but here in Michigan with our signage it doesn't take long to figure out that you're not on a trail. And if there are "no trespassing" signs posted (no mention if there were or weren't) it's usually a pretty good indicator that you're probably somewhere you shouldn't be and its time to turn back. I understand and 100% agree with the landowner being upset, and verbal confrontation is one thing, but I think he crossed the line when he got physical. Nothing good usually comes of that. As far as having a weapon....can't say I blame the guy for bringing one since you never know who you're dealing with, but it seems like he could have carried it in a manner that would appear less threatening. I'd say mistakes were made by all and they all were lucky it wasn't worse.

fatdaddy

I'm amazed how so differently we see this, I'm not sure what a loud pipe has to do with trespassing but if it helps you ok. If you look at the pictures, number 1 for example clearly shows the man has his finger on the trigger and the other on the action of the gun. This while kicking the sled. I guess he has the upper hand alright.

ranlam

Old Deryl there is pretty bold. But i guess he has the right to be pissed, some people go fuggin crazy when "bubbleheads" are trespassing. He is lucky he didnt get beat up, if your gonna brand a weapon you had better know how to hold it and use it correctly. Kicking the sled is against the law, personal damage to property i would guess. I myself would have said sorry man, you will never see me here again.

indy_500

indy you know what I think about this
Hey at least they didn't get shot at........... To be honest I don't care how young or old the guy is I would've dropped him too for kicking my sled just because its on his property doesn't give him the right to start kicking it.

arctic1

Obviously these guys were trespassing.With that being said not only does he pursue them, he confronts them on the neighbors property.Now who's trespassing?

jr37

Let's say that YOU have had an ongoing problem with sleds tresspassing on your property and causing problems for your livestock, or doing damage. Now you catch tresspassers on your property as they are leaving. What would you do?

This guy was maybe a little to agressive?. But, I sure would not wave goodbye and watch them drive away, if I had the opportunity to confront the issue.

xcr440

Then I have to assume you would also defend the right of the sledders having an equal opportunity to pull a gun and defend themselves, correct?

I am fairly sure that is what comments refering to "how bad it could have gotten" meant.

You clearly missed the point. If you don't know who's land you are on, off a trail, stay off it. The guy said he had only been riding for a year. Well, he clearly hasn't learned from his how ever many years of life he has, that you don't trespass without permission, otherwise you may find someone who will defend what is his like this. Don't go riding off the trail unless you know who owns it, and has given you permission.

If you feel the need to escalate it by walking up to a guy with a gun, or pulling your own gun, that's your perogative. I personally would be appoligizing and asking which way is the fastest way off the guys property.

Editing out my point doesn't make your point.