Walworth, Racine & Kenosha Counties

sledrider103

I'm looking to do some deep powder riding in the rock/Walworth county area. Anyone have a trail report? I've heard southeast wi is where it's at!

tomx

Good One! Was watching the Milwaukee news at noon and found out this December was the 6th least snowiest on record. .5 inches officially. SAD. Oh well better make your reservations up north.....I have.

ryanslyne

Lack of snow here is a joke. Leaving for my second trip New Years day. Can't sit and wait for it here with new sled in garage. Will be heading for north woods Thursday morning hopefully the wife doesn't keep me out too late for new years eve! SledLT trip north from Twin lakes shouldn't be a problem at all as long as snow is good. If we get the snow! Little slow start here but not the first time that has happened. Gas in Lyons either Shell or Mobile right off the trail is easy. Hit me up if you ever decide to try it. Should be peice of cake.

RS

SledTL

Lack of snow here is a joke. Leaving for my second trip New Years day. Can't sit and wait for it here with new sled in garage. Will be heading for north woods Thursday morning hopefully the wife doesn't keep me out too late for new years eve! SledLT trip north from Twin lakes shouldn't be a problem at all as long as snow is good. If we get the snow! Little slow start here but not the first time that has happened. Gas in Lyons either Shell or Mobile right off the trail is easy. Hit me up if you ever decide to try it. Should be peice of cake.

RS

Awesome, thanks! I have a trip planned to go up to lando MLK weekend. I've been doing to snow dance for here, but it looks like ma nature is just exhausted after last year lol.

chop

Hope you all had a good Xmas. Looks like the cold weather is back for now. Let's hope it sticks around and we can get things going around here. I heard on the news this morning this weekend could be our first chance in new year for some measurable snow. Let's hope it proves true. Anyone gotten up north yet to do some sledding? I just got back from St. Germaine trails and snow was good. Just had to watch out for a few mud holes like everyone is talking about. Heading back up new years day to get sleds out again. Hoping to come back and enjoy some snow around here. Fingers crossed on that. Trails are ready just need the snow. Hope you all had a good Xmas and have a good upcoming new year.

RS

Maybe we'll see you up there. I just booked a cabin for the weekend and Im sure we'll end up in the St germaine area at some point.

ryanslyne

Awesome! I like the looks of johns forecast as well for a fresh 4-8" for the northwoods friday. We will be there thursday through monday.
Have fun.

RS

SledTL

Hey RS how are things looking up by you guys? Hoping that the main snow will shift northward more today. Do you think that the trails might be open by Thursday? Im just sitting at home on break and would love to go for a quick spin if possible. I would probably be safe to ride on the lake after these negative temps right?

slowsi00

really curious about this weekend as well. if we get 3-4 on top of the 3-4 we have it should be good enough to grooom especially with the cold correct?

walworth county here we come!

ridindirty800

When i got back from the northwoods yesterday a lot of the fields the snow had blown right down almost ground as it was so light. Most of the chisel plowed fields you could see the top of the mounds. If we get another 2-4" it would help but its going be so light again I am not sure if they would open and if they did they would not be very good in my opinion. What do you think RS I am speaking of the trail around the Elkhorn/sugar creek area

timo

I can tell you guys right now living slightly north of Milwaukee if we get 3 inches or you guys get three inches there is absolutely no way the trails will be open. no chance.
we got about four inches in the last couple of days in my yard, it was light and fluffy and for the most parts you can see my grass.
the chiseled fields don't look like there is even any snow on them but for a dusting. this 3 inches' they're predicting is supposed to be super dry and will blow everywhere. ( even if we get any snow but that's a different story )
we need a good 8 plus inches of some snow with a little water content to even think about opening trails.
don't mean to be a downer I want to ride as bad as anyone but just keeping it real.

Last edited:

chop

Got back into town yesterday right as the storm was finishing. Seems the farther south you went the deeper it got. I would not expect anything north of Racine to be opening any time soon. But I have a feeling Kenosha could open soon if we get the upper end of the forecast for tonight. My yard had about a 2" layer of frozen ice/slush with close to 3" of snow on top when I was out there last night.

I have pics from 12/15/13 from when the trails opened last season for the first time and I would say conditions are nearly the same out there right now. But all I have seen is east of 94 so I could just be seeing the lake effect.

ryanslyne

Sorry for delayed report here but I was up north snowmobiling for the holiday. Just got back yesterday. Last night we didn't get quite as much as we were hoping for. I think we probably picked up 1-2" from what I could tell while plowing driveway this morning in East Troy. It is very light and fluffy so once the winds pick up tomorrow it will be blowing everywhere. I doubt trails will open after this snowfall. I did see there is another chance from snow later this week. So maybe by the weekend if that snowfall pans out. But I have been wrong before so we will see. I do know the little bit of snow we have now it should be enough to get the groomers out in the area to knock down some of the chisel plowed fields. That will help quite a bit for sure. We are getting closer!

RS

slowsi00

Sorry for delayed report here but I was up north snowmobiling for the holiday. Just got back yesterday. Last night we didn't get quite as much as we were hoping for. I think we probably picked up 1-2" from what I could tell while plowing driveway this morning in East Troy. It is very light and fluffy so once the winds pick up tomorrow it will be blowing everywhere. I doubt trails will open after this snowfall. I did see there is another chance from snow later this week. So maybe by the weekend if that snowfall pans out. But I have been wrong before so we will see. I do know the little bit of snow we have now it should be enough to get the groomers out in the area to knock down some of the chisel plowed fields. That will help quite a bit for sure. We are getting closer!

RS

groomers out... knocking down the chisel fields... love to hear that. thanks for all you guys do before the trails even open. I look forward to supporting the local scene this year.

ridindirty800

Yesterday the Northern part of Walworth Co was panned by the groomer and from what I saw was doing a decent job knocking down some of the fields. Many of the trails after being groomed were catching a lot of the blowing snow so that will help. But again some fields have nothing to work with as most of the snow blew off. From my understanding all 3 groomers will be out today panning again. Pray for snow

ryanslyne

In East Troy some of the trails looked okay after the groomer came through. The ones that didn't looks so hot where the wide open fields that were chisel plowed. Perhaps some of the blowing will help blow some snow onto the trails today. I hear 1-3" tomorrow. So maybe they will get better. We will have to see. Please stay off the trails until they are declared open! Just because they are groomed doesn't mean they are open! Will report back.

RS

SledTL

In East Troy some of the trails looked okay after the groomer came through. The ones that didn't looks so hot where the wide open fields that were chisel plowed. Perhaps some of the blowing will help blow some snow onto the trails today. I hear 1-3" tomorrow. So maybe they will get better. We will have to see. Please stay off the trails until they are declared open! Just because they are groomed doesn't mean they are open! Will report back.

RS

Thanks for letting me know RS! I think that I'm going to still head up tomorrow and just mess around on the lake. I have to scratch the itch badly haha. When we had that extreme cold last year there was some snow that was similar to what we have now, and my dad and I had excellent riding. Most of the trails around twin lakes area seem to follow the outside lines of fields and always get drifted over very nicely. Looks like I will just miss the timing with the snow tomorrow night. Thanks,
Dean

ryanslyne

Yeah some times the drifts can help big time. I know the groomers are supposed to be out today as well prepping the trails. So we will see if they get a chance to open up here. I know there is a lot of blowing and drifting going on now here. Where are you heading Dean?

SledTL

Yeah some times the drifts can help big time. I know the groomers are supposed to be out today as well prepping the trails. So we will see if they get a chance to open up here. I know there is a lot of blowing and drifting going on now here. Where are you heading Dean?

I'm not going on a trip until next week, but I'm going hunting this weekend so I won't be able to take a ride up. I'm on the fence about riding on the lake tomorrow, haven't heard anyone out on anything in the area and I don't really like to be the first one.

ryanslyne

Ah I see. Well if it counts for anything I know they have been on a few lakes around here. Not much this week since it has been so cold. I know tonight I am putting my ice fishing shack on Lake Beulah in East Troy as long as ice conditions permit. Will be checking into this after work today to see if we have enough ice. I would imagine with the cold temps we should be good to go for some lake riding and fishing. If you are curious about the lakes around here I would check out the fishing reports on lake-link.com usually people report the ice thickness on here.

A quick report on the trails as of right now they are still closed in both Walworth and surrounding counties. I did see the groomer drive past my house for the second time now in the last two days. Some of the trails looks sweet others look a little rough where the chisel plowed fields are. Also some of the open fields look a little thin. I imagine the 2-4" today should help that out. If we get anywhere from 2-3" I would imagine that would be enough to open them up for the first time this year. Perhaps just in time for the weekend. I will report back as the snow starts flying.

Also a quick note here the East Troy Snow Trojans are hosting their annual brat bash on Saturday January 24th from 12pm-5pm at the Eagle Springs Pub right off the trail on the Walworth county/ Waukesha county line on Eagle Springs lake. Hopefully trails are open so we can have some snowmobile traffic for the event. But either way the fundraiser will go on! Please come out for some good food, drinks, Meat Raffles, and 50/50 raffle.

RS