Walworth, Racine & Kenosha Counties

If you want to ride now, the Kettle Moraine State Forest is always open for snowmobiling.

I noticed yesterday some idiots are riding the trails by Little Prairie.

ridindirty800

Snow is coming down and blowing like crazy, It will be hard to tell how much we get. I passed the groomer on my way to work this morning out panning the trails.

chop

A little birdie told me that Kenosha and Racine are open as of 5pm, 1/8/15. Not sure if I want to go out tonight or wait until tomorrow.

SledTL

What is the difference between panning and grooming, I assume the same equipment.

From what I understand panning still drags equipment behind the tractor, but it isn't the same. In pictures from way up north they showed a barrel/small drag being pulled. I believe this smashes the snow down so that it doesn't all blow away and in the case up north creates a base. Probably do it around here to keep snow on the trail and then let it drift over and put more snow on them. RS I think I'm gonna be riding on Saturday. Too cold to take the dogs out hunting so that means sleds!

slowsi00

A little birdie told me that Kenosha and Racine are open as of 5pm, 1/8/15. Not sure if I want to go out tonight or wait until tomorrow.

they open up the trails in kenosha way to early.... however i would like to skimp out to Walworth county if they open. at least i know they would be panned and semi groomed enough not to ruin our equipment.

I was wondering how do they groom the 42 kenosha state trail east of i94???

not possible right?

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Heard there were some riders that rode from south of the border into Clinton the other day. Sheriff just warned them,as they claimed the IL trails they came from were open.....You can't help some people....

slowsi00

will walworth open 1/9 ? thats the big question. racine and kenosha are open but there is no way anything is groomed i am curious to hear if anyone went out there.

IF walworth is open 1/9 im down to ride. hopefully they have been grooming all night to try to get it open for the weekend.

Our club sent this out last night.

Eagle & Mukwonago Trails will open on Saturday morning at 6am.
We are going to leave snow set up & harding tonight & tomorrow. Since this type of snow is so dry & light.

I did talk to the DNR all gates are now open in Kettle Moraine Forest.

As of now Jefferson & Walworth County are not open.

Please check hotlines before going into these counties

Trail Condition Hotline Numbers:

Jefferson County 920-699-7669

Walworth County 262-742-2664

Waukesha County 414-299-0330

ryanslyne

Just a quick report here basically the same that I sent in this morning for the Facebook page of Walworth county. You can see some of my pictures of the trail there. Here is the link:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walworth-County-Snowmobile-Alliance/127455090695002

As of right now trails in Walworth county will remain closed. We probably picked up 3-4" last night was really hard to tell with all the blowing and drifting going on. From what I saw this morning most of the trails looked good but there were a few of the fields that were blown really bad to the point that they would be pretty rough. Not sure if they will decide to open them for the weekend or not but as of right now they are closed. Sorry I don't have a better report. All I can say is check the Facebook page or call the hotline that 122 posted above.

SledLT, I did get the shanty out on Beulah last night. We had about 7-10" of ice on the lake. Where the shanty is sitting we have about 8" of ice. There is some snow on the lakes some are really big drifts and then also some bare ice spots. So you probably could run the lakes without a problem. I haven't heard of anyone running the rivers yet. I would imagine they are getting pretty close to running the rivers around here pretty soon.

Will report back if there is something to report. Stay off trails please until declared open.

RS

SledTL

Just a quick report here basically the same that I sent in this morning for the Facebook page of Walworth county. You can see some of my pictures of the trail there. Here is the link:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walworth-County-Snowmobile-Alliance/127455090695002

As of right now trails in Walworth county will remain closed. We probably picked up 3-4" last night was really hard to tell with all the blowing and drifting going on. From what I saw this morning most of the trails looked good but there were a few of the fields that were blown really bad to the point that they would be pretty rough. Not sure if they will decide to open them for the weekend or not but as of right now they are closed. Sorry I don't have a better report. All I can say is check the Facebook page or call the hotline that 122 posted above.

SledLT, I did get the shanty out on Beulah last night. We had about 7-10" of ice on the lake. Where the shanty is sitting we have about 8" of ice. There is some snow on the lakes some are really big drifts and then also some bare ice spots. So you probably could run the lakes without a problem. I haven't heard of anyone running the rivers yet. I would imagine they are getting pretty close to running the rivers around here pretty soon.

Will report back if there is something to report. Stay off trails please until declared open.

RS
I have faith in running the lakes after you saying that. Thanks! Don't know if we will make it out on the trails or not, Kenosha is open but it would be awesome if we could ride Walworth because I like those trails a bit more. Maybe things will change after a day or two of blowing around.

ryanslyne

I am planning to run the river tomorrow. This may be my last report...

LOL now that is funny! Good luck let me know how it is. Might make the trip myself and giver a whirl if Walworth trails don't open up. Even if they do open I think the chisel plowed fields will be less than desirable so I probably wont want to put myself or my sled through that misery.

RS

bladeguy

because you'll be riding or because you fell in?

Fell in LOL - I've already broken my collar bone snowmobiling this season so who knows what it could be...

- - - Updated - - -

LOL now that is funny! Good luck let me know how it is. Might make the trip myself and giver a whirl if Walworth trails don't open up. Even if they do open I think the chisel plowed fields will be less than desirable so I probably wont want to put myself or my sled through that misery.

RS

If you check the chain thread I think it will be good to go tomorrow. I am going to ride Racine tonight - will post.

ryanslyne

BladeGuy, Looking forward to your posts.

Forgot to post this earlier but if anyone is looking for something to do this weekend and want to support one of our local clubs see info below.

Pleasant Lake snowmobile club tomorrow with their fund raiser "Chili Day" at the Pepperoni Pub (Sperino's) in Elkhorn off Hwy 67 as you come into the north end of town.

RS