Walworth, Waukesha, Racine & Kenosha Counties SE WI 2017-18

timo

I can't believe trails are open? How much snow did you guys get?

Kenosha trails are open as of this morning. Not sure if its worth riding. I might pull the beater out tonight and check them out. More snow east than west.

ryanslyne

We have 4-6" throughout the county in Walworth, I measured 6" in my yard in East Troy this morning. Not sure if they are going to open or not. Ground is frozen rock hard so maybe? Kenosha is open for sure. It will only last for a couple days with warm up coming so if they do open up might as well try them out.

RS

euphoric1

I may be viewed as one of the "complainers" on this site as to lack of snow or whatever but..... we got about 6-8" of the driest fluffiest snow, no base, still dirt poking through the snow, I know you have to take advantage of the snow when its here but how many passes will it take till down to dirt, I'm sorry but I'm not "complaining" but I cant believe they opened trails and I value my equipment a little more than that, and unfortunately with extended forecast it will be gone by sunday

timo

I'm with you 100%

ground was bare dirt two days ago and 6-9 inches of total fluff will blow clear off trail in one pass by a sled. too each his own I guess.
if I was a land owner I'd be a little perturbed on opening trails in these condition's.

I may be viewed as one of the "complainers" on this site as to lack of snow or whatever but..... we got about 6-8" of the driest fluffiest snow, no base, still dirt poking through the snow, I know you have to take advantage of the snow when its here but how many passes will it take till down to dirt, I'm sorry but I'm not "complaining" but I cant believe they opened trails and I value my equipment a little more than that, and unfortunately with extended forecast it will be gone by sunday

C

Cirrus_Driver

According to the snow-disciples on JD, with their unlimited supply of cash, you can ride on that snow and it won't wreck anything.
That said, it looks like ER has upgraded conditions to Good-Very Good so a trip to ride is now in order.

chop

I can't believe trails are open? How much snow did you guys get?

The same 4-6" everyone else got. The general rule for Kenosha is the trails open with 4" on frozen ground and 6" on unfrozen. So yea, not everyones idea of rideable conditions. I know for a fact that people will be riding though. I may do a bit of messing around east of 94. Its mostly mowed grassy ditches and fencelines. West of 94 is a lot of farm fields. Probably want to avoid those without more snow.

A couple of weeks ago they were riding on dirt up north. Bare ground, rocks etc. They all start somewhere. Tried grooming here and stopped. 6-8 inches compressed to an 1"

SledTL

Of course after I am home for a month with no work, school, zip zilch, trails have to open. Someone post some pics even if they are bad!!

euphoric1

I'm with you 100%

ground was bare dirt two days ago and 6-9 inches of total fluff will blow clear off trail in one pass by a sled. too each his own I guess.
if I was a land owner I'd be a little perturbed on opening trails in these condition's.

Was just out on a delivery, no tracks on way (delivery was 5 miles away) on way back maybe three tracks.....Dirt showing, I also agree on land owners, I'm sure some damage is expected but I still cannot believe they opened them.

blkhwkbob

According to the snow-disciples on JD, with their unlimited supply of cash, you can ride on that snow and it won't wreck anything.
That said, it looks like ER has upgraded conditions to Good-Very Good so a trip to ride is now in order.
LOL there is a big difference between northwoods trails with a flat base and southern trails through farm fields with no base at all.

ryanslyne

When 90% of the trails are in chisel plowed fields you don't worry about damage other than to your own sled if you choose to ride or I suppose damaging our groomers which is unlikely. I am the trail boss for the East Troy club in Walworth County and the only concern we ever hear of with our landowners is for winter wheat fields. Even if that winter wheat field is damaged the clubs insurance will pay crop damage and the farmer can double dip into their own insurance. Which from my past experience they are fine with and usually they are able to still harvest the crop and turn it into some form of profit. So I am guessing that is why Rock and Kenosha counties have opened. In past years I can recall us being open with far worse conditions. Regardless our trails (Walworth county) remains closed for now. But I am sure sleds will be on the trails anyways, that is when we run into issues with landowners more than when they are officially open with poor conditions. Riding on closed trails is trespassing and a lot of people don't understand that.

RS

bladeguy

When 90% of the trails are in chisel plowed fields you don't worry about damage other than to your own sled if you choose to ride or I suppose damaging our groomers which is unlikely. I am the trail boss for the East Troy club in Walworth County and the only concern we ever hear of with our landowners is for winter wheat fields. Even if that winter wheat field is damaged the clubs insurance will pay crop damage and the farmer can double dip into their own insurance. Which from my past experience they are fine with and usually they are able to still harvest the crop and turn it into some form of profit. So I am guessing that is why Rock and Kenosha counties have opened. In past years I can recall us being open with far worse conditions. Regardless our trails (Walworth county) remains closed for now. But I am sure sleds will be on the trails anyways, that is when we run into issues with landowners more than when they are officially open with poor conditions. Riding on closed trails is trespassing and a lot of people don't understand that.

RS
Chisel plow is a bitch! Probably will keep me off the trails (Open)

timo

far worse conditions than 6 inches of cotton on top of bare ground?
Interesting narrative with the wheat fields and farmers.

RS

- - - Updated - - -

what will keep me off is not nearly enough snow.

Chisel plow is a bitch! Probably will keep me off the trails (Open)

chop

far worse conditions than 6 inches of cotton on top of bare ground?
Interesting narrative with the wheat fields and farmers.

- - - Updated - - -

what will keep me off is not nearly enough snow.

You missed the most important part... Frozen Ground.

ridindirty800

Kenosha closed at Midnight tonight. Had landowners calling in to complain about them being open. Glad Walworth never opened as at our meeting tonight heard there was a few people who wanted them open, upset landowners is the last thing any club needs.

timo

Whoever thought it was a good idea to open trails in SE Wis. outta have his head examined.

Kenosha closed at Midnight tonight. Had landowners calling in to complain about them being open. Glad Walworth never opened as at our meeting tonight heard there was a few people who wanted them open, upset landowners is the last thing any club needs.

united

Well that's a new one. Snowmobilers complaining the trails are OPEN? You have to be kidding. Give me a break. Must be some type of sour grapes. Rock County is still open.
I am surprised there were complaints from landowners when the ground is hard frozen, oh well that is their call to make.

ridindirty800

Whoever thought it was a good idea to open trails in SE Wis. outta have his head examined.

I agree 100%. I get the ground is frozen but it was nothing more then from 3-7" depending on location. You could sneeze and it was gone. We all work hard on landowner relationships to go open them with these conditions. It's one thing to have damage to wheat fields if conditions went from good to bad. Another thing to start with conditions that will hurt wheat fields.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's a new one. Snowmobilers complaining the trails are OPEN? You have to be kidding. Give me a break. Must be some type of sour grapes. Rock County is still open.
I am surprised there were complaints from landowners when the ground is hard frozen, oh well that is their call to make.

Yup I complain when landowners get upset. Luckily my county stayed closed so I did not have to worry about it.