Walworth, Waukesha, Racine & Kenosha Counties SE WI 2017-18

wiviperman

I have been wanting to upgrade my sleds to new/newer models for awhile now. I have a cabin in Price County but with work & life my time is limited to get away. I have chose to keep my older sleds for now just due to the lack of snow that we get around here. I can relate with the thought of just "hanging it up" and move on to something else.

ryanslyne

We are getting closer! 4-6" in Walworth county from the last storm Saturday night. Another 3-4" is in the forecast for today. And it is looking like a bigger storm by the end of the week. I would be shocked if the trails do not open up at least partially after todays snowfall if we do indeed get the 3-4" forecasted. In Walworth county at least the heavier amounts are to the north. I would say Elkhorn area north have 5-6". South of that more like 4" currently. A lot of the fields especially in the south are wind blown pretty bad. Walworth county last year split the county up to two zones north and south so I would venture to guess if the northern part at least gets 3-4" tonight it could open up. I work in Waukesha county (Eagle) and they got about 5" of snow and they had the groomers out panning yesterday. They are close to opening as well. I will report back later tonight as the snow flies and hopefully with good news!

RS

ryanslyne

Only picked up inch or maybe two in East Troy last night. Pell Lake I guess got 3". Light fluffy stuff. Another couple inches and we will be good to go. Will report back as we get more!

RS

gkolar

Twin Lakes has 3 " of light fluffy snow, the snow tonight and the snow that is suppose to come Fri will have things looking good.

timo

sounds like they'll be opening the trails in Washington Co. Friday. They've been out panning today and yesterday. Just waiting on Thursday nights snow fall I think.
Prolly not gonna be ideal but I'll be out for a rip.

snobuilder

website for Walworth County

http://www.walworthcountysnow.com/

TRAILS ARE : **CLOSED**

​Snow Phone # (262) 742-2664

Not sure why they are holding the trails hostage in SE WI.....4" on frozen ground is the rule. Yur avg sledder will use they're best judgement and ride or turn around if it's crap cond. ...Kenosha recording said something to effect of..
"and besides, the surrounding counties are closed"....I'm like what?

euphoric1

Winter storm watch issued 6 -9 " predicted hopefully that will come and trails will open, but I can side with current decision to have trails closed as the snow that has fallen has been dry and fluffy, no base and wouldn't take many passes to expose the ground. Hopefully what they are predicting will come, will be a busy weekend on trails down here as I'm sure a lot of people are chopping at the bit so lets hope

timo

we'll for obvious reasons they're not letting you right on 4 inches of snow.
frozen ground or not.

Not sure why they are holding the trails hostage in SE WI.....4" on frozen ground is the rule. Yur avg sledder will use they're best judgement and ride or turn around if it's crap cond. ...Kenosha recording said something to effect of..
"and besides, the surrounding counties are closed"....I'm like what?

- - - Updated - - -

where you see this?
NWS app on my phone has no warning posted and are calling for 1-3 Thursday night.

Winter storm watch issued 6 -9 " predicted hopefully that will come and trails will open, but I can side with current decision to have trails closed as the snow that has fallen has been dry and fluffy, no base and wouldn't take many passes to expose the ground. Hopefully what they are predicting will come, will be a busy weekend on trails down here as I'm sure a lot of people are chopping at the bit so lets hope

euphoric1

just heard it on am 620 radio, Milwaukee based said snowfall amounts could be greater south of milwukee
frozen ground or not.

- - - Updated - - -

where you see this?
NWS app on my phone has no warning posted and are calling for 1-3 Thursday night.

- - - Updated - - -

watch was issued from 9 p.m. Thursday until 9 p.m. Friday again according to am 620

timo

well lets hop so, I'm skeptical though Channel 6 weather I just saw at noon is calling for 2-4,,, four being Wis. - Ill. border.

just heard it on am 620 radio, Milwaukee based said snowfall amounts could be greater south of milwukee

- - - Updated - - -

watch was issued from 9 p.m. Thursday until 9 p.m. Friday again according to am 620

snobuilder

frozen ground or not.

- - - Updated - - -
And the obvious reason is what?.....I have some great fence line and bean field trails right out my door.
This isn't the northwoods where ppl might drive for hours to be dissappointed.most everyone here rides from home.
And my major point is that sledders are smart enough to decide what cond of trails they will or won't ride.

ryanslyne

Some of Walworth trails were groomed yesterday but remain closed. Some look good some not so good after the groomer went through. Winter Storm Watch with 6-9" starting tomorrow night should put us in the game. Will report back as the snow flies if it flies that is. Trails staying closed was a good call all counties down in SE corner are closed and we only have 4-6" of fluff county wide in Walworth. Hopefully by Friday things will change with this next storm.

RS

snobuilder

That map sez it all. the last 3 days have accumulated 5-9" on frozen ground. No reason not to be open. Let the riders decide. Why do we need a small group of ppl to decide if we ride in these conditions? Me and everyone else can make up our own mind this deep into a very cold winter.
To say it is a good decision to keep them closed, please explain why otherwise maybe you DO need someone to make up your mind for you.
Being "OPEN" doesn't mean you HAVE to ride, does it? Ain't nobody forcing you to do anything you don't want to do....is there?
No wonder I can't stand the non thinkers....and so many control freaks out there.
I go back to before "hotlines" and 'puter instant trail info when ppl used there own heads to figure things out.....like the simple act of riding a sled or not.....happy trails, but if yur gonna wait for a "perfect ribbon" down here you won't ever open....I've seen chisel plowed fields blown off with 12+ inches of snow on the ground.

Last edited: