What if they made an old sled again?

SledTL

What if mfg's made an old style of sled but brand new? I am not talking about re-making a name in a new chassis, I mean re-creating a late 1990s Indy 500 likens. Sure there was downfalls of the sit down style sleds compared to rider forward, but engine size is plenty for most and I think there would be a lot of nostalgia which people would buy into. If we wanna make sleds great again, have to go back to that great time right?

rayds

Arctic Cat T660 Turbo Touring, I would buy one in a heartbeat, quietest sled made. still driving one,

I'd totally buy a brand new leaf springer that had a modern engine and drivetrain. Something like a late 70's TX, Exciter or RV.

Last edited:

6mile

I would prefer something in the modern chassis, perhaps a bit more setup for sitdown, not stand-up with engines in that 85-100hp range. My wife does not like the stand-up style or the big HP numbers that most of the new model line up has. Her favorite sled was the 2000 ZL 440 she had. Smooth ride and just enough HP to go kind of fast and the sled was light. Take a new Indy with a 440-500 LC, EFI and electric start and ya have a nice light weight machine that you can put any experience level on and have fun.

scoot

Sign me up for two new 1978 Arctic Cat Panthers. Leaf springs and all. They could even use the newer 570cc fan motors if they needed to. I'd be set for life.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't Yamaha make a Utility sled some time back? I recall looking at one in the showroom with a 340 twin, flip up hood, and utility rack on the back. Would be ideal for the Ice Fisherman. Regardless, I think the OEM's would build anything that would sell in large numbers. Right now it's all about the Mountain Sleds and Crossovers.

SledTL

Based on the number of responses here so fast, I think my point is made. Not that anyone from marketing will read this but if you do, toss me a few bucks lol.

sweeperguy

I'd have to want a late 80's or early 90's Phazer or Phazer II. Ugly, but a great sled.
loved my 89, light, lots of power, first sled that could water skip (that we had) reliably. Not me, but my Dad would water skip his.
Deep snow, even a novice rider wouldn't get it stuck. Walk right up to stuck sleds, help dig 'em out. Watch till they were safe, walk right out.
When I go up to the Soo next week. Going to see if I can get my Dad to give me his 91 that's sitting at my sister's house.

xcr440

Hmmm, that's a tough one. Today's sleds are sooooo far ahead of anything pre-2000, that I would rather just have one of those that sits in the garage, and maybe sees a "special" ride once a year. I'll stick with the new iron when it comes to daily riding.

whitedust

Yeah let’s go back to ski lift and push ride a brick in sit down position. Ahhh no .....not for me. I haven’t looked into the blast but some entry level , kids and moms will probably like it single cylinder 2s. Look backwards to make better current products not tool up for dated designs no company will do that.

nc666

What if mfg's made an old style of sled but brand new? I am not talking about re-making a name in a new chassis, I mean re-creating a late 1990s Indy 500 likens. Sure there was downfalls of the sit down style sleds compared to rider forward, but engine size is plenty for most and I think there would be a lot of nostalgia which people would buy into. If we wanna make sleds great again, have to go back to that great time right?

That would be like Harley . riding early 1900 technology.

SledTL

Well we don't need to get into motor mounts that purposely "shake" but I meant it from a R&D standpoint. Everything is already proven out....

srt20

Anything with a triple-triple. Preferable with 2020s Fuel Injection. Trailing arms or a-arms dont care. Just put a seat riser or something on it.

G

G

2002 was the year of the most refined redhead SRX. 2003 was the most refined year of the first generation Pol XC series. And 2003 was the year of the ZR 900 twin. All of those sleds were and are more aerodynamic than anything we have now. They were warmer to ride. They went as fast or faster than what we have now. Most of them were just as light or lighter than what we have now. They turned a lot better on tight trails because the center of gravity was so much lower. And if you go back in the specs of these early 2000 sleds you will find that the rear travel of the suspensions was really not that much less than what we have now. Neither was the front on the ACs. Go back and look for yourself. The Pols and Yamis were still using trailing arms.
The only benefit of a rider forward sled is that it saves on one's back. Also it seems to work well in Snocross and severe ditch pounding. Nobody on this site does either of those things.
They don't turn. They are colder to ride. And they cost way too much for what they are. A person could put a piston in an Indy 700 in a parking lot underneath a streetlight. Nowadays you are screwed if a relay quits. But yeah you guys are right . Everything is great.