What is going on

ezra

Price is posted online. Ken’s sports of Green Bay. Not to be confused with the Kaukauna location. This is their new location that sells BRP (and technically in Suamico).

MSRP-$16,300
Paid-$12,400+tax and $198 doc fee

They have adrenaline base model 850s for $11,100, and also have a few XRS 850 with smart shox and the fancy gauge left. 129 is 15,900 and 137 is 16,100. If these were not smart shox xrs sleds I likely would have bought one. I’m a simplistic guy and I’ve heard of some issues with them (they are awesome though).
That's a good price . I got what I thought was a steal this spring . Went in for sxs service left 13k light in the wallet lol
But I got a 24 indy850 xc 136 with the food stamps guage for 13k out the door and they are keeping it in the crate till fall 4 me . Did not need a new dimond pounder but when I asked how cheep they were after the chit season guy/delership owner said if I give you the you have to buy it price are you really buying ?
Only has the fox 3 click shocks but good enough for for me

Hoosier

Price is posted online. Ken’s sports of Green Bay. Not to be confused with the Kaukauna location. This is their new location that sells BRP (and technically in Suamico).

MSRP-$16,300
Paid-$12,400+tax and $198 doc fee

They have adrenaline base model 850s for $11,100, and also have a few XRS 850 with smart shox and the fancy gauge left. 129 is 15,900 and 137 is 16,100. If these were not smart shox xrs sleds I likely would have bought one. I’m a simplistic guy and I’ve heard of some issues with them (they are awesome though).
I've always been of the mindset of buy something, take good care of it and then drive it till the wheels fall off, but with toys at least I'm starting to think you're better off being flexible and ready to go when there are deals out there. That's a big discount.

indy_500

I've always been of the mindset of buy something, take good care of it and then drive it till the wheels fall off, but with toys at least I'm starting to think you're better off being flexible and ready to go when there are deals out there. That's a big discount.
I’m a big numbers guy. And to me, if the upgrade you make for every motorized vehicle is upgrading to a brand new model, you’re better off upgrading every few years. I’ve battled the numbers in my head and running anything with a motor into the ground is just not sensical.

For example, my aunt just listed a 2015 Tahoe with 190k miles on it for $11k. (She probably paid between 50-60k for it back then). Dealership offered her next to nothing for trade. This a well dealer maintained vehicle with mostly highway miles. Her new Tahoe is ballpark 75k. So she has to come up with approximately 65k for her new Tahoe, which in 9 years of ownership is over $7k per year.

I told her about 4 years ago to ditch it and upgrade. At that time, she could’ve sold it for 25-30k. A year later the transmission went out and cost $5k for the dealer to replace. She continued to drive it into the ground because she stuck that repair money into it. So, she lost $15-20k in value in the last few years, and $5k+ in repairs and maintenance costs. Therefore her last 3 years of ownership cost $25k (but remember it’s paid off so it should be saving money right??) Can’t argue that math, and now it costs $65k to upgrade. Yes, I do realize many make $25k worth of payments in 3 years time, but that could’ve been made on a much nicer newer model with no worries about something mechanically going wrong, and minimal maintenance costs. Luckily money is no object to them, but for some of us on a budget, the math shows there’s no benefit to running older stuff into the ground if it’s going to get replaced by something brand new soon.

I also tend to argue, that most who are rolling without a payment and driving said vehicle into the ground, are not saving that payment money for the next one, or investing it into anything worthwhile. Instead they’re just blowing it on more trips out to eat, constant new clothes, electronic gadgets, etc. and when it comes time to replace the vehicle they’re in a world of hurt.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, just a topic I think about and discuss with friends much too often.

Last edited:

whitedust

I always based my upgrades on need then make a deal if price wasn’t right no deal. After no snow last season it rolled all my snomo needs way back. I need nothing since zero miles last year. It’s not a money thing for me it’s a use thing hopefully snow and cold returns to WI and UPMI.

Hoosier

I’m a big numbers guy. And to me, if the upgrade you make for every motorized vehicle is upgrading to a brand new model, you’re better off upgrading every few years. I’ve battled the numbers in my head and running anything with a motor into the ground is just not sensical.

For example, my aunt just listed a 2015 Tahoe with 190k miles on it for $11k. (She probably paid between 50-60k for it back then). Dealership offered her next to nothing for trade. This a well dealer maintained vehicle with mostly highway miles. Her new Tahoe is ballpark 75k. So she has to come up with approximately 65k for her new Tahoe, which in 9 years of ownership is over $7k per year.

I told her about 4 years ago to ditch it and upgrade. At that time, she could’ve sold it for 25-30k. A year later the transmission went out and cost $5k for the dealer to replace. She continued to drive it into the ground because she stuck that repair money into it. So, she lost $15-20k in value in the last few years, and $5k+ in repairs and maintenance costs. Therefore her last 3 years of ownership cost $25k (but remember it’s paid off so it should be saving money right??) Can’t argue that math, and now it costs $65k to upgrade. Yes, I do realize many make $25k worth of payments in 3 years time, but that could’ve been made on a much nicer newer model with no worries about something mechanically going wrong, and minimal maintenance costs. Luckily money is no object to them, but for some of us on a budget, the math shows there’s no benefit to running older stuff into the ground if it’s going to get replaced by something brand new soon.

I also tend to argue, that most who are rolling without a payment and driving said vehicle into the ground, are not saving that payment money for the next one, or investing it into anything worthwhile. Instead they’re just blowing it on more trips out to eat, constant new clothes, electronic gadgets, etc. and when it comes time to replace the vehicle they’re in a world of hurt.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, just a topic I think about and discuss with friends much too often.
I think for cars it's hard to have a 1 size fits all advice. At the start of this year both our cars had 200K+ on them. Neither one gave us any real headaches but the wear and tear is starting to show. Depreciation is less every year but the risk of repairs increase each year too. Bought my wife a new one earlier this year, sold mine and I'm driving her old one for a couple years.

Other circumstances are important to consider too, like interest rates (whether it's on the loan or the cash sitting in the bank).

Agree with you on the forced savings aspect of it. It doesn't do you any good to drive an older unreliable car and spend all your savings on other worthless junk, and a lot of people do that.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Dad and me didn't agree on a lot of things in my younger years, but I remember him saying, "The sooner, and longer you can go debt-free, the better." And I was amazed how fast the money grows when the house and vehicles are paid for." Getting to that point is the hard part and providing you're not wasting it on things you don't really need. Another factor is the current economy, making zero debt almost impossible for some.

Don't get me wrong, I like my toys as much as the next guy, I just prefer to have mine paid for. Especially at times like last winter when we couldn't use them. One other thing, that MSRP number is not accurate. Unless you're paying cash, the cost is going to be vastly more when financed. Some things we can't avoid like taxes, insurance, repair bills, etc. but borrowing money is a choice we all make at some point in our lives.

latner

My Dad and me didn't agree on a lot of things in my younger years, but I remember him saying, "The sooner, and longer you can go debt-free, the better." And I was amazed how fast the money grows when the house and vehicles are paid for." Getting to that point is the hard part and providing you're not wasting it on things you don't really need. Another factor is the current economy, making zero debt almost impossible for some.

Don't get me wrong, I like my toys as much as the next guy, I just prefer to have mine paid for. Especially at times like last winter when we couldn't use them. One other thing, that MSRP number is not accurate. Unless you're paying cash, the cost is going to be vastly more when financed. Some things we can't avoid like taxes, insurance, repair bills, etc. but borrowing money is a choice we all make at some point in our lives.
X10 Anytime I wanted something when I was young, my Dad would always say "save your money and you can buy it", that has stuck with me my whole life. Once you get to the point of being able to pay cash for your wants and start investing all that "payment money", it is amazing how fast that money will grow.

indy_500

I guess I wasn’t making the argument directly based on “you should finance”. Between my 2 vehicles, 4 sleds, and trailer, they’re worth $105-110k, and I only owe $25k total on only two items in the entire bunch. I’m taking that as a win, especially before 30 years old. But, I 100% agree, cash is king. In my mind though, there comes a tipping point, where if you try to stay cash only, but can’t afford to upgrade when needed (because many spend the money foolishly on other things while enjoying a payment free vehicle) you will quickly fall out of the game, and never be able to get back in it (IF that’s what you desire).

pclark

Indy, I agree with your analysis. However, I have always been one to stay with a vehicle, maintain it, and drive it for many miles. I don’t like car payments, can’t really envision myself buying a new car. I’ll let someone take the initial hit and buy a good used vehicle. My current vehicles are a 2007 Tahoe with 240k but take very good care of it. I know I need to replace this vehicle in the next 1-2 years so I am ready with cash to do so. My other vehicle is a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 44k, should go deep as well. I guess that’s how I view the car buying market.

eagle1

Interesting topic for sure. Sled is now 4 hrs old and truck is coming up on 3 yrs, granted both are pretty low mileage but definitely thinking about flipping before getting to that tipping point Indy mentioned. Trying to decide if run my sled this season or trade up before season 🤔
Problem for me is I real love my color combo on both right now. Lol

hermie

I would say for a lot of people this comes down to do you pay someone to do repairs and general maintenance or can you do it yourself. I personally do almost all repairs myself so having a $800 a month payment for a vehicle doesn't interest me. I will do as Paul said get a truck around 30,000 miles and drive to about 250,000. Miles. I keep up with maintenance and also wax the vehicle a couple times a year. I traded in my Avalanche and got $8.000 with 220,000 miles on it 3 years ago and drove it 5 years with no payment. I also have 2 600 Ski-doo etech with over 10,000 miles on them. Told the wife I would get her a different sled but she is happy with what she has and I have done a ton of maintenance on them that only cost me what I pay for in parts and my time. There are some deals to be had out there rite now with all of this left over inventory and I think there will be even more inventory next year at this time. Interest rates are too high for a lot of people to justify buying something new and they will ride or drive what they have. All you have to do is go by any power sports dealer and look at all the stuff they have. The amount of SxS at most the dealers I see is insane. Amazing how fast things change. Everyone went crazy during the planddemic and you couldn't buy something if you wanted now they have 5 of each model sitting on the floor.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should be a good year to shop around. Must be a lot of last year's models I would think. I did read a while ago that BRP had cut production due to inventories.

wisco-mb

That's a good price . I got what I thought was a steal this spring . Went in for sxs service left 13k light in the wallet lol
But I got a 24 indy850 xc 136 with the food stamps guage for 13k out the door and they are keeping it in the crate till fall 4 me . Did not need a new dimond pounder but when I asked how cheep they were after the chit season guy/delership owner said if I give you the you have to buy it price are you really buying ?
Only has the fox 3 click shocks but good enough for for me
Nice! I picked up a 24 Switchback XC 850 146" back in spring myself. It has the 7S display though. Thought I would try it. It also has 1.6" cobra, painted rails, and estart. $15.5K otd. Nice they let you keep it in the crate!
I'll put some $ into revalving the shocks and upgrade the torsions. The extra passenger seat and my boy will take up some weight!

Did BRP limit floor models this year? Polaris didn't even offer the 2025 floor models(Indy, XC), to try to get rid of the leftover dealer stock.

That's always the questions on when to sell. I've always maintained and worked on my vehicles, so I've normally kept them for the long haul.
Usually the rust can be the determining factor for me. In the last 2 years, I've replaced front fenders, bumper, bed, fuel lines, brake lines on my '05 Duramax. Just got done with the water pump last week. Plenty of life left at 200K though!
Feels good to have the vehicles all paid off. That helps with everyday life, expenses, repairs and fun! And still trying to put save some for future vehicles.