What is going on

old abe

G
Also for those wondering my thoughts on the new sled, here’s a review I posted on DooTalk:

Hey guys, thought I’d share my thoughts on my new G5 Renegade 850 Adrenaline. I’ve owned 18 Polaris’ sleds, lots of trailing arm edge chassis sleds, trail riding 3000+ miles a year from 05-14. Started getting into offtrail riding around then, and was riding new pro rmks from 15-current. Last few years been doing more trail riding with the family. Been disappointed with the quality on newer polaris’ sleds, especially engine reliability, and on a whim picked up my G5, first skidoo for myself. Can’t compare to any past Doo chassis’ so some may find this review interesting.

Put 200 miles on so far, riding with my son on the back of the 1+1 seat. He’s a big boy, we are about 400 lbs combined riding on stock springs. So far no issues, maybe bottomed out lightly twice, way less than our older Polaris touring sled that bucked us around. As long as the springs don’t get softer over time, I won’t bother putting on the bigger springs.

Power, response, and runnability of the 850 is insane, way more torquey and smoother than a Poo. No hiccups, no bogs, definitely not used to that coming from a Poo. Averaging 15 mpg and still in break in hauling 400 lbs leaves no complaints. Engine package overall is impressive, although, The angle and placement of the oil resovoir is terrible, first fill up spilled everywhere.

Front suspension is better than anything I’ve ever ridden. Currently have the springs on click 3. Doesn’t buck, doesn’t dart, bites in corners, not tippy, not sure it could get any better, and this is with base adrenaline shocks. I put 6” single carbide in the middle and moved the 4” to the outside, and shimmed the skis. Rear is equally as impressive, even holding up 400 lbs. FTS at click 3, Torsions on setting 5, coupler blocks on 2. Glides right over small choppers all day.

The ergonomics and handling is extremely comfortable. As is our 1+1 seat. We have so much room, my sons only wish is that they would make footrests (Polaris does). He is 5’2” and also mentioned he liked the backrest being a bit taller on our old 2up, but again, for being an add on seat to a performance sled, it was a comfortable ride.

Fit and finish of the plastics seem to be a step down from the xs and G4, but still on par with Polaris with no real complaints about it. Windshield vibrates more than I’d like but not a major issue. The gauge cluster is kind of a disappointment, obviously this doesn’t have the fancy 10” LCD gauge, but I think the cluster on a 2010 Polaris was higher tech, more informative, and easier to use than this one. The handlebar warmers are just plain dumb. Not being able to adjust separately sucks. Moving 2 notches per click is dumb. And having to go all the way down to go back up is even dumber. Headlight seems phenomenal. Running boards are great, and bumpers seem strong and useful unlike many Polaris’ I’ve owned.

Traction might be the only major thing it is lacking, but that might be the conditions we rode in the western UP of MI. 1.6 cobra might be a better choice in the looser early season conditions we had, when temps get lower and a better base developed, the 1.25 ripsaw will probably shine again.

Overall very happy with my purchase, and could see myself riding skidoo trail sleds for a long time. Lengthy post and bounced around a lot, but there ya have it, those are my thoughts!
Awesome pics Indy! And a very honest, and thorough assessment of your new sled! So glad you like your new Doo. Ride safely, and enjoy the "family time"! That's what snowmobiling is all about, and always has been with our family! Keep the pics coming, as I'm not able to ride this winter, but really enjoy the pics.

old abe

A
My most dependable Polaris was my 600 Classic with the Liberty engine, put 17,000 on it and it was still a strong motor, just had some other issues that I didn't have time for before we made the move north so I sold it off. Replaced with 2017 Renegade 900, very happy with it. These two sleds are my favorites.
View attachment 67702 View attachment 67703
And, as I remember, you made a really good buy on your Rene 900.;) I like your ski wheels! What brand are they, Canadian TrailBlizzers? I for one, have always liked the XS chassis.

Last edited:

pclark

A

And, as I remember, you made a really good buy on your Rene 900.;) I like your ski wheels! What brand are they, Canadian TrailBlizzers? I for one, have always liked the XS chassis.
OA, I bought last January and this is one year anniversary for Renegade 900, I'm not sure what brand the ski wheels are, i'll have to see if i can see a name on them, they came with the sled.

old abe

OA, I bought last January and this is one year anniversary for Renegade 900, I'm not sure what brand the ski wheels are, i'll have to see if i can see a name on them, they came with the sled.
Canadian QualiPieces perhaps?

hermie

Very good review with a lot of good information. You aren't the only one who is complaining about the new handlebar and thumb warmer I have read of a lot of Doo riders not happy with it. Sounds like a giant step backwards. Polaris wins the best hand and thumb warmer set up by far. The 7s gauge is also the best gauge by far. It really is too bad that there quality control seems to have really slipped. I have been riding Doo since 14 and I have loved every one and they have been extremely reliable. I haven't even replaced an idler wheel bearing which is saying something because I find a Polaris wheel almost every weekend on the trails. Congratulations on your new sled and enjoy every chance you can to ride with the family it goes by way too fast.

1fujifilm

Also for those wondering my thoughts on the new sled, here’s a review I posted on DooTalk:

Hey guys, thought I’d share my thoughts on my new G5 Renegade 850 Adrenaline. I’ve owned 18 Polaris’ sleds, lots of trailing arm edge chassis sleds, trail riding 3000+ miles a year from 05-14. Started getting into offtrail riding around then, and was riding new pro rmks from 15-current. Last few years been doing more trail riding with the family. Been disappointed with the quality on newer polaris’ sleds, especially engine reliability, and on a whim picked up my G5, first skidoo for myself. Can’t compare to any past Doo chassis’ so some may find this review interesting.

Put 200 miles on so far, riding with my son on the back of the 1+1 seat. He’s a big boy, we are about 400 lbs combined riding on stock springs. So far no issues, maybe bottomed out lightly twice, way less than our older Polaris touring sled that bucked us around. As long as the springs don’t get softer over time, I won’t bother putting on the bigger springs.

Power, response, and runnability of the 850 is insane, way more torquey and smoother than a Poo. No hiccups, no bogs, definitely not used to that coming from a Poo. Averaging 15 mpg and still in break in hauling 400 lbs leaves no complaints. Engine package overall is impressive, although, The angle and placement of the oil resovoir is terrible, first fill up spilled everywhere.

Front suspension is better than anything I’ve ever ridden. Currently have the springs on click 3. Doesn’t buck, doesn’t dart, bites in corners, not tippy, not sure it could get any better, and this is with base adrenaline shocks. I put 6” single carbide in the middle and moved the 4” to the outside, and shimmed the skis. Rear is equally as impressive, even holding up 400 lbs. FTS at click 3, Torsions on setting 5, coupler blocks on 2. Glides right over small choppers all day.

The ergonomics and handling is extremely comfortable. As is our 1+1 seat. We have so much room, my sons only wish is that they would make footrests (Polaris does). He is 5’2” and also mentioned he liked the backrest being a bit taller on our old 2up, but again, for being an add on seat to a performance sled, it was a comfortable ride.

Fit and finish of the plastics seem to be a step down from the xs and G4, but still on par with Polaris with no real complaints about it. Windshield vibrates more than I’d like but not a major issue. The gauge cluster is kind of a disappointment, obviously this doesn’t have the fancy 10” LCD gauge, but I think the cluster on a 2010 Polaris was higher tech, more informative, and easier to use than this one. The handlebar warmers are just plain dumb. Not being able to adjust separately sucks. Moving 2 notches per click is dumb. And having to go all the way down to go back up is even dumber. Headlight seems phenomenal. Running boards are great, and bumpers seem strong and useful unlike many Polaris’ I’ve owned.

Traction might be the only major thing it is lacking, but that might be the conditions we rode in the western UP of MI. 1.6 cobra might be a better choice in the looser early season conditions we had, when temps get lower and a better base developed, the 1.25 ripsaw will probably shine again.

Overall very happy with my purchase, and could see myself riding skidoo trail sleds for a long time. Lengthy post and bounced around a lot, but there ya have it, those are my thoughts!
Hello Indy,
Please change your moniker to "G5" cause your not going back to Poo.
Additionally, even though the hand/thumb warmer change stinks, you can integrate different Temps for each..you just have to keep them that way until you change them together once more.
I've had 10 G4 850's since 2017 and 2 G5 850X this year and the motor is efficient, fast and dependable. I have about 22,000 miles on these motors with no issues..they are solid. I am a quick flipper so never keep a sled past 2,800 miles and am on a 650 Poo til 3rd week in February. I hated the bog of the Poo 800 (had a 2018 for a minute) and the 650 has addressed that and is as fast as the 800 was to 80mph.
Slim, PD and I are riding later this week and hope to try Slims new 23 850 XCR to get a taste of Poos best work then make an assessment compared to the Doo Gen 5 850.

Frank

indy_500

Well, didn’t initially plan to let this one go when I purchased the G5, but the UP is 2 feet away from being able to ride the trees and there’s no cold temps to create any LES in the next couple weeks, meaning no December or January rides this winter. I’d be lucky to get 2 or 3 day rides on it then, just didn’t make sense to stare at it in the garage any longer. End of an era for sure and a very sad day for me. A28258CA-4975-4D54-B487-3A15EF60C436.jpeg

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, didn’t initially plan to let this one go when I purchased the G5, but the UP is 2 feet away from being able to ride the trees and there’s no cold temps to create any LES in the next couple weeks, meaning no December or January rides this winter. I’d be lucky to get 2 or 3 day rides on it then, just didn’t make sense to stare at it in the garage any longer. End of an era for sure and a very sad day for me. View attachment 67743
There it is, domestication complete! 😲 you will be back, but, I'll be 64 by then. Lol.

old abe

Well, didn’t initially plan to let this one go when I purchased the G5, but the UP is 2 feet away from being able to ride the trees and there’s no cold temps to create any LES in the next couple weeks, meaning no December or January rides this winter. I’d be lucky to get 2 or 3 day rides on it then, just didn’t make sense to stare at it in the garage any longer. End of an era for sure and a very sad day for me. View attachment 67743
It's all good indy, not the end, but just a New, and Better beginning!;)

Last edited: