Who Rode The Catalyst?

old abe

At the time neither Yamaha or AC was happy with Trackside. Yamaha no effort made to sell products just didn’t believe in 4s. AC I heard things like poor partners so selling effort probably was minimal on their products too at the time. Definitely was mutual parting of both OEMs.
Yeah, well, okay. They told a very good friend and riding bud that AC pushed, dumped way too many sleds on them Trackside, that they had no market for, no interest in, too many leftovers? They couldn't get the models that they could sell? Oh well, anyway that's been quite a few years back now, who knows.

whitedust

Yeah, well, okay. They told a very good friend and riding bud that AC pushed, dumped way too many sleds on them Trackside, that they had no market for, no interest in, too many leftovers? They couldn't get the models that they could sell? Oh well, anyway that's been quite a few years back now, who knows.
Agree AC did that a lot to dealers back then easy to say mutual bye bye.

ragex2

I rode the Riot and ZR models about 2 miles each. I will describe as very 'athletic'. Probably good for off trail riding. Too narrow and cold for me as a trail cruiser/touring rider. I liked the seating posture, suspension seemed good, new gage. Power was good, and enough for chassis to me. Very different than my 1200 Doo I'm used to so I may not be a good reporter.....glad they are on the move with new products though

attakman

That's why Erv's dumped Cat (at least 10 years ago)...and the oldest Cat dealer in the State of Wisconsin (in Medford), went out of business.

cooksend

Yep...I got a good laugh when I read that also...NOT how it all went down...I distinctly remember the owner of Trackside at the time posting on HCS the exact details of how the relationship with Cat came to an end...NOT at all how whitedust attempts to SPIN IT...
TrackSide at that time told Arctic Cat to come pick up their sleds! I remember the scenario well.

euphoric1

here we go again with the doom and gloom of Cat and their business practices. I'm not in the snowmobile business but I'm sure they are just like the companies I deal with they expect performance, and they expect growth and if you can't do that they move on and look for someone who can and will. When I first opened my first order and credit line was X amount of dollars, now they won't even consider setting up another dealer without 10 times that amount anymore, won't even consider it. I have seen many dealers go to the wayside in my industry for the same reasons. It isn't just Cat, I'm sure they have all done it to some extent.

attakman

here we go again with the doom and gloom of Cat and their business practices. I'm not in the snowmobile business but I'm sure they are just like the companies I deal with they expect performance, and they expect growth and if you can't do that they move on and look for someone who can and will. When I first opened my first order and credit line was X amount of dollars, now they won't even consider setting up another dealer without 10 times that amount anymore, won't even consider it. I have seen many dealers go to the wayside in my industry for the same reasons. It isn't just Cat, I'm sure they have all done it to some extent.
Maybe so...but Cat seemed to do this to alot of their dealers...it was not a good move...I talked to ERV's and he said he couldn't do what they wanted him to do..they were trying to force too many sleds on him...(they did this to several dealers)..at the time he was selling way more Polaris sleds. He sold cats for a long time there so it was a tough decision to drop them...but he didn't want to have to mortgage his house to satisfy arctic cat

cooksend

At the time neither Yamaha or AC was happy with Trackside. Yamaha no effort made to sell products just didn’t believe in 4s. AC I heard things like poor partners so selling effort probably was minimal on their products too at the time. Definitely was mutual parting of both OEMs.
That is absolutely not true Pete. Not sure where you got that information but it is totally false. I spent 17 years at TrackSide and was there when we took on Yamaha and let Yamaha and Arctic Cat go.

wiscrev

Yet we still have a thick ice on our trail system in the northwoods....HMMMM. but thanks for the answer/reason.
You are correct there. The problem with the Track is that it is highly banked. While that may not seem to be a difference maker. it is. Flat lakes can hold ice longer; guys ice fishing thru April. The Track would be toast. Until recently, there was not much of a trail thru town but in the woods it was good. Open areas in the sun tend to do that and with the 40 degree weather we had, it was iffy before they started to lay water again.

euphoric1

Maybe so...but Cat seemed to do this to alot of their dealers...it was not a good move...I talked to ERV's and he said he couldn't do what they wanted him to do..they were trying to force too many sleds on him...(they did this to several dealers)..at the time he was selling way more Polaris sleds. He sold cats for a long time there so it was a tough decision to drop them...but he didn't want to have to mortgage his house to satisfy arctic cat
I agree but I bet the same would go if the tables were turned and Cat was his primary brand and Polaris was his secondary, And I do understand he probably made the choice based upon what he sells more of. We are CONSTANTLY being approached by other manufacturers to carry their product line and my answer is and always will be NO and for one reason, we have such strong buying power with the one we have and they make sure we have the equipment when we need it, give us the programs to grow so why would I want to compromise all that by taking on another line. These companies want someone that will promote, sell and grow with their products. in laymans terms its either shit or get off the pot. And I hear the same stories from other dealers in my industry..." well so and so was trying to force me to take all of this stuff" I've somehow adapted and grew on the same tactics they decided to fold on, it isn't just something "Cat" has done, welcome to the world of "franchisee" or "product representation" If it was that easy.... there would be more of our out there.

old abe

Euphoric 1. no doom and gloom here with me. I've nothing but absolute respect for AC with all of their sled developments over many, many years. All the ups, and downs, and there were many. However AC's business management HISTORY is pure disastrous. Too many Failures, Bankruptcies, Mergers, just very poor business models, repeated too many times over the years. Not too many years ago, AC practically lost half of their dealers in the midwest in 1 year. It dang near finished them. Very sad, however, Textron came along. So in my mind, Roger Skime is the main reason AC recovered so many times from failure! He was a prime asset. He's regular guy, and once he meets you, he never forgets you! He was one behind so, so many AC racing innovations, designs, and product development projects. He's the BIG reason for AC's racing success for many, many years! And a absolute Hall Of Fame member! I may be wrong, but I always thought AC was Erv's primary brand of sleds?

Last edited:

whitedust

That is absolutely not true Pete. Not sure where you got that information but it is totally false. I spent 17 years at TrackSide and was there when we took on Yamaha and let Yamaha and Arctic Cat go.
Greg sorry this offended you to be honest I really don’t care that’s not what my intentions were to wander off topic regarding Trackside and OEMs. I wanted to hear about Catalyst demo ride characteristics. With that said I was involved in the Yamaha transition from the viewpoint of another WI dealer that wanted Yamaha badly and know what was said to them. I’m sure it is a different point of view from your stance at Trackside at the time and only make sense to play out in the way you remember it. Who knows the quality of what was said to who so many years ago and Market positions have completely changed for AC and Yamaha both are experiencing difficult times.

whitedust

I did. Thread strayed off topic. See post #23
I liked your post please repost under new demo ride topic and maybe we can get the discussion back on topic there. Way too much off topic BS here that a demo rider won’t want to wade thru to post. Thanks for you post I appreciate it.
Pete

euphoric1

I rode the Riot and ZR models about 2 miles each. I will describe as very 'athletic'. Probably good for off trail riding. Too narrow and cold for me as a trail cruiser/touring rider. I liked the seating posture, suspension seemed good, new gage. Power was good, and enough for chassis to me. Very different than my 1200 Doo I'm used to so I may not be a good reporter.....glad they are on the move with new products though
Thank you for the response! much appreciated, I understand about the too narrow, too cold, put the optional flares on my ElTigre for that reason and made a world of difference. And I'm sure the "athletic" feeling comes from a few variables... weight loss, lower center of gravity and rider position. appreciate the input again THANKS!! good thing you didn't go another 8 miles, it would have blown up, that's a good one LOL