Winter tires or All season

snobuilder

Truck needs new skins before winter.
I am considering getting a set of winter tires mounted on wheels that will get swapped out in season.
Any of you guys do this versus just rolling with the all season tires.

millertime

I did that with a previous truck. More to protect the rims from salt. But I also liked it because I needed a less aggressive tire for the summer which meant less road noise. I ran Bridgestone Blizzak for winter and Pro Comps for summer. Liked them both.

ezra

I never run winters on my trucks.
but always on the wife's cars. it is amazing how well snow tires work compared to regular car tires.
this yr I am also on the fence about wife's newer car it has 4matic and pretty new tread. I just got done swiping the card for $1385 for some Michelin ltx for the truck.
I feel like I spent enough at the tire store this mo.
I dont think she would appreciate a set of blizzak's under the tree but thought about it for 5 seconds

600_RMK_144

I never run winters on my trucks.
but always on the wife's cars. it is amazing how well snow tires work compared to regular car tires.
this yr I am also on the fence about wife's newer car it has 4matic and pretty new tread. I just got done swiping the card for $1385 for some Michelin ltx for the truck.
I feel like I spent enough at the tire store this mo.
I dont think she would appreciate a set of blizzak's under the tree but thought about it for 5 seconds

Got the wife a vacuum for our anniversary one year. Still hear about that one!

L

lenny

I got my wife a guitar once,,lol

as far as tires, I run snow tires in the winter than swap back to street only because the snow tires are soft compound and will wear fast on pavement.

MZEMS2

I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat if I had an extra set of rims. I just might splurge for winter tires anyway to save the tread on my all weather tires. Normally don't, but certainly thinkin' about it this fall

polarisrider1

I got some BFG's all terrains on 17" Dodge half ton rims I would part with. Titled of the tire swap out two times a year. Trying the Cooper zeons on my 20" rims. Speedo is accurate with them and they look as aggressive as the BFG's. Just got them. To soon to report snow use, darn.

Last edited:

doospunk

Just put a set of hankook dynapro AT tires on my F150 from Discount Tire for $835 with a $40 mail in rebate to boot with the same load rating as the F150's stock tire. Good looking tire, with some good reviews, (in addition to some feedback I've had from others that put them on.) Went from a road tire to these, and honestly can't tell the difference in road noise. (maybe cause I've always got tunes going... :)

image.jpg

Last edited:

indy_500

Goodyear wrangler duratrac mud terrain tire quiet quiet quiet with a 50k mile warranty and also one of the best snow rated tires. Can't wait to put them to use this winter.

snobuilder

great replies...thanks.
I been looking at the tirerack.com site also...good prices but looks like over $100 to ship to WI for the tire/wheel combo set up.

The truck is a chevy ss and i like the looks of the 20's with the eagle GT's on it now, so i would probly have a set a them sent also for next spring and go with 16" or 17" on rims for the winter tires

ezra

I am done with goodforayr forever. the set I put on the old mountaineer were wearing fast.
the last stock SRA on my f150 WORST P O S EVER 25k 2 bald slicks 2 just past ware bar total junk.
I looked at the hankook but the load range e were not much cheeper than the Michelin ltx. if I did not want the load range I would have deff went with the Hankook dyna pro like doospunk.

snobuilder

The truck came with the eagles on it so I'm not sure how many miles are on them but they seem like a soft grippy tire ....doubt that type a combound will last forever.
I have Hankooks on the old tow vehicle .....a dodge durango that is the wifes winter driver. No complaints.

warner

try discount tire...just picked up 4 new cooper discoverer atp's in lt285/75r/16 got em for 158.00 a piece..
gotem from the waukesha WI. store