winter trips 2011-2012

ridehard

Signed up for the Feb 12 thru the 16 trip to Cooke City thru MOMS this year . First time going with them looks and sounds great. I dont have a mountain sled so I will rent out there from Bearclaw. Sounds like there rental rates are the best. They have M1000,s , M8's and some new Proclimb M8 sleds to. I can't imagine the truck has 2 stories in it with enough room for 18 people must be bigger than it looks on my computer screen. I am sure it will be a new and great experience for sure. Anyone else going on this trip? How is the riding in Cooke. I have rode Alpine WY once and alot of it was either going up or down did not find alot of meadows or flater areas to play. Is Cooke more extreme or does it have everything? Night life looks like it may be good in Cooke also.

polarisrider1

Signed up for the Feb 12 thru the 16 trip to Cooke City thru MOMS this year . First time going with them looks and sounds great. I dont have a mountain sled so I will rent out there from Bearclaw. Sounds like there rental rates are the best. They have M1000,s , M8's and some new Proclimb M8 sleds to. I can't imagine the truck has 2 stories in it with enough room for 18 people must be bigger than it looks on my computer screen. I am sure it will be a new and great experience for sure. Anyone else going on this trip? How is the riding in Cooke. I have rode Alpine WY once and alot of it was either going up or down did not find alot of meadows or flater areas to play. Is Cooke more extreme or does it have everything? Night life looks like it may be good in Cooke also.
Cooke Is pretty extreme. You will need all the avy gear. Take an avy class, Rent a ProRMK. The food is great! Mostly Poos and Doos running around there when I was there last year. And yes indeed we put up to 26 sleds in the trailer and 18 people in the truck. I have done it several times, prefer it over driving out. You can walk around, sit, sleep, watch movies, drink beer or keep up on JDee site while going down the road. Rick, Jacob and Paula Mom are some of the nicest people you will meet.

cuzzinolaf

Cooke is a lot of fun and I think the town is one of my favorite "snowmobile towns" that I have been to. The riding is all very close to town and you need to be careful on both of the passes to get into the riding areas. Both hills can slide and have in some spots. Two guys were killed on Lulu Pass a few days after I was there in 2007. A Dozen Turns was filmed somewhere in the area of Daisy Pass.

Another suggestion is KNOW where you are and don't ride outside of the boundaries when in Cooke.

polarisrider1

Cooke is a lot of fun and I think the town is one of my favorite "snowmobile towns" that I have been to. The riding is all very close to town and you need to be careful on both of the passes to get into the riding areas. Both hills can slide and have in some spots. Two guys were killed on Lulu Pass a few days after I was there in 2007. A Dozen Turns was filmed somewhere in the area of Daisy Pass.

Another suggestion is KNOW where you are and don't ride outside of the boundaries when in Cooke.
Oh ya, forgot to mention the "Fish Police". The Boundaries are very well marked. It totally amazed me that wagon trains would cross Lulu and Daisy pass to haul gold miners. It is plenty enough on a sled let alone in a covered wagon.

RevKev

Cuzz, The Story of "A Dozen More Turns" actually took place In the Centennial Range, On Mt Nemisis, Near West Yellowstone MT/Island park ID. Mt Nemisis in the next Mtn to the west of Mt Jefferson.

ridehard

Riding out with MOMS sounds great and I am truly looking forward to it. You mentioned the FISH POLICE is that something I would need my fishing pole to take care of? What do you mean when you say do not ride out of boundary at Cooke? There are actually boundaries or is it private land? I plan on taking my GPS loaded with topo map of Montana and Wyoming to get around and keep track of where I am. I have taken a few online avy classes so I do know a little. Plan on renting avy gear there sounds like they got it all. I am still undecided about the rental sled. Last year while in Alpine I rented a 800 ProRmk and it was a great riding and handling sled but I only got to ride it 4 hours and the throttle position sensor went out of tune. It really made me a better rider than I really am by the way it handles. It would tip on it side with ease and powder turns and down hill turns were also easy. This was all on set up snow. I did not get into the trees though I am not that good yet and did not want to have a wreck. I was then given a Doo summit 800 to ride. What a difference. The doo would not handle as easy on the set up snow as the Poo would and I struggled to make turns until the last day we got into some deeper snow then it would turn fine but was still a handfull. The power on the Doo was definitly more and noticable. I may just rent a Cat a couple days then a Poo just to see the difference. From what I am reading the Cat used to be the sled to have in the mountains.

RevKev

Out of bounds, AKA into the Wilderness area, thus leading to a $5000.00 fine if cought. Yes there are boundarys around Cooke, Look for the Bright Orange signs, and DON'T go past them, the Froest service is out there, and they do patrol the area.

polarisrider1

Cookes got boundries. to the west edge is Yellowstone and the rest is wilderness areas. The fish police are what many call the Forest Rangers and the FDA guys and women riding around. Kev and I got to meet them up front and almost personal last year. They are the ones who come around to identify your frozen carcass in the spring after the avy that buries you months earlier. Otherwise they pretty much ride around the boundary looking for an "out of bounder" to write a ticket to. Don't worry there is plenty enough to ride out there that you don't have to go "out of bounds".

Attachments

• Cooke city 2011 017 (Medium).jpg
    Cooke city 2011 017 (Medium).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Cooke city 2011 042 (Medium).jpg
    Cooke city 2011 042 (Medium).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 22

ridehard

WOW!!!! $5000 for riding out of bounds seems kinda steep its not like you killed someone. I looked at the map of Cooke online and see now the boundaries you are talking about. I suppose someone has to keep all of the riders inline to keep all the non riders happy to. Is there good riding south into Wyoming? Thanks REVKEV, CUZZINOLAF and POLARISRIDER1 for the info it is appreciated.

polarisrider1

WOW!!!! $5000 for riding out of bounds seems kinda steep its not like you killed someone. I looked at the map of Cooke online and see now the boundaries you are talking about. I suppose someone has to keep all of the riders inline to keep all the non riders happy to. Is there good riding south into Wyoming? Thanks REVKEV, CUZZINOLAF and POLARISRIDER1 for the info it is appreciated.

Here is a map of the boundaries. Yes riding is very good south east of Cooke City. We travel about 30 miles east to my favorite spot. I would love to tell you but then I would have to shoot you! :)

Attachments

• Cooke city 2011 018 (Medium).jpg
    Cooke city 2011 018 (Medium).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 21
  • Cooke city 2011 037.jpg
    Cooke city 2011 037.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Cooke city 2011 027 (Medium).jpg
    Cooke city 2011 027 (Medium).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 25
  • snowmobile[1].jpg
    snowmobile[1].jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

ridehard

AAAHHHH!!!! Polarisrider1 your pictures only add to my misery of waiting to go RIDE. It looks like a great place to ride, nice pictures. I will have to find my own secret area and show pictures of it to you and I might even tell you where it is after I tear it up of course. You say it is 30 miles to the top of the world riding area in Wyoming and I see you are riding the pro rmk's. Did you need to carry gas? It would be 60 miles round trip in and out could you do much riding once there at top of the world and make it back on a tank full from Cooke City?

Last edited:

RevKev

AAAHHHH!!!! Polarisrider1 your pictures only add to my misery of waiting to go RIDE. It looks like a great place to ride, nice pictures. I will have to find my own secret area and show pictures of it to you and I might even tell you where it is after I tear it up of course. You say it is 30 miles to the top of the world riding area in Wyoming and I see you are riding the pro rmk's. Did you need to carry gas? It would be 60 miles round trip in and out could you do much riding once there at top of the world and make it back on a tank full from Cooke City?

To ride out at top of the world, you need to take gas with you, we usually drop our gas tanks off at the safety shelter, bury them in the snow, play all day,then dig them up and fill the sleds for the ride back to Cooke. We bury them to keep them safe/prevent theft.

cuzzinolaf

There is plenty of good riding in Cooke. If you time it right and go in the middle of the week you might be the only ones in town. I know when I was there we were the only ones. The one guy in our group had a nasty stuck and then we had a broken a-arm and we got in after dark. People in the town were about to send out search and rescue for us. I didn't go to "Top of the World" and still had a blast. You don't need to go there if you're worried about gas. Safety and survival first.

polarisrider1

Okay, Top of the world it is. Word is out. In the 4th picture is Revkev and his Pro with another ProRMK behind him and a Doo Summit all coming to my rescue. It was plenty steep. I was taking the pictures of my rescue team all stuck too! We were on the mtn. behind theclosest mtn. in pic. 2 and to the right. north of Cooke near the "Boundary". This year I am on an RMK Pro 800 155 also. I purchased from Mountain Addiction a way sweet 3.3 gallon tank and mount just for "Top of the world" riding. The 30 miles over to that area goes pretty quick when you are honning your Ricky Racer skills on a Mtn. sled. There is a very nice trail to Top of the world to speed things up.

polarisrider1

What are the dates for this Cooke trip you're going on, Wayne?
Jan. 22-27. Contact Jacob or Rick Mom. we can pick you up on the way. I suspect the trip is very close to full if not full already. Also Island Park March 5-10. and then Possibly 10 mle in Mid April.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Transportation for me and my sled and lodging is included? Anything else?
And Breakfast and dinner included. Only thing extra is sled, gas, oil and Beer. Nice rooms, great food. Bear Claw Bob even lets us use his heated garage to wrench on your sled if need being you ride a cat and all. lol. Space is very limited on many of the trips so best to decide soon. Wintertime (Joe) is going along with me, revkev, smurfrider (Doug) and a few more that you may know. Who knows you may be starring in "Flatlander 2".