Wis. Senate Bill 264

jpsted

Can someone please help me out in understanding the new proposed law?

First off, the bill has been deleted and been replaced with SB 264 SSA1. This states the following;

SENATE SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT 1,
TO 2009 SENATE BILL 264
October 5, 2009 − Offered by COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION, TOURISM, FORESTRY,
AND NATURAL RESOURCES.
AN ACT to create 23.33 (3) (cm) and 350.10 (1) (fm) of the statutes; relating to:
prohibiting the operation of snowmobiles and all−terrain vehicles on certain
property.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do
enact as follows:
SECTION 1. 23.33 (3) (cm) of the statutes is created to read:
23.33 (3) (cm) On public property that is posted as closed to all−terrain vehicle
operation or on which the operation of an all−terrain vehicle is prohibited by law.
SECTION 2. 350.10 (1) (fm) of the statutes is created to read:
350.10 (1) (fm) On public property that is posted as closed to snowmobile
operation or on which the operation of a snowmobile is prohibited by law.
(END)

Is it not already illegal to travel off of a marked or designated trail on public land? I have always been under the impression that if you stray from the trail in a state forest you were subject to a violation. Was that not the case?

jpsted

The way I understand this...is that nothing has changed in terms of where your allowed to ride and where you are not...the bill expands authority to state agencies to enforce and issue citations. Right now it's not a trespass offence if you leave the marked trail on private property...I don't recall the violation, but it was something less minor than a trespass and could not be enforced by all agencies.

There is an amendment to the amendment, and I read it, but still am unclear on what it said. It might have given ATV's and snowmobiles some leeway to use them for access to lakes, fire lanes in Bayfield Co., etc, but unclear. It would be good to be able to read the bill with the changes included instead of referred to. There are thousands and thousands of public acres that the State and Fed. do not own and until now had little juristiction over.

whitedust

Simple you are off the marked trail getting gas, food or whatever & you can get a ticket. Don't know if you can ditch bang to trails from anywhere without threat of ticket. Public land will be posted where sleds & ATVs are prohibited. How the State will do that is beyond my understanding too much public land. We will be reading how this is being enforced on JD as riders get tickets & vow to stay out of WI & never spend another penny here. Very bad for Northwoods economy & our sport.

440_chazz

119910.jpg

whitedust

My State Senator Jim Holperin Dem sent me a letter & voted for the bill. Next time around Rep. gets my vote. He is a dope if he thinks 264 will help the Northwoods economy.

renegade

I heard holperin speak at the awsc meeting in point. He is a slick politician to the core. He made you beleive he was for snowmobliers on this issue and the hunting issue by his voice. But if you listened to his words he was saying what you didn't want to hear. Fusion is right about scott walker. We need to get him for governor. Everybody should be voting rep. next election just to balance the power out. Way to many dems in there.

F

fusion

Regarding Scott Holperin, don't listen to what they say, follow what they do, and what they vote on. If he voted for this bill, he's not a friend of snowmobilers, bottom line. These politicians have a way of "twisting" words to make an issue sound palatable to whatever audience they are addressing.

As for Scott Walker, he is more of a fiscal conservative that Thompson ever was. In alot of respects, Thompson was a RINO. (republican in nane only) He has done a great job as county executive holding down budget costs, even though he has a very liberal county board he has to contend with on all issues. My only hope is that Mark Newman does not weaken or dilute his support too much. You all know the reason Neuman got in the race in opposition to Walker, don't you? Neuman is supported by the ethanol corn producers lobby and therefore, ethanol mandates. You see, the corn lobby needs a candidate from both parties that is sympathetic to their cause. Walker does not support ethanol mandates, and that of course is music to my ears.

(If I have misrepresented any positions of the candidates, please correct me)

racerx

I do not think we have a clear idea of the whole situation. When I asked a fellow club member from the Vilas county about this he was going to look into the details but told me that it was already illegal to ride "ANYWHERE" you want ALTHO there are ordinances within towns/cities that let you access the trail in the "most direct route" using public lands. Now even what he told me is a little unclear as to what or how it is illegal but I'm sure not going to head to the local courthouse and turn it into my own snocross oval since it is public land. I'm sure we all know snowmobiles can not be used on any public interstates and smaller highways unless posted as a trail, I seen that posted (it would be cool to use "Trail 51" from Wausau to Minocqua during bad weather).

The main problem is this is so unclear to anyone it is left up to interpretation from both sides to what is legal/illegal, this is the most dangerous part of it all.

lvr1000

I read on another site that Obama is going to place a new tax on 2 stroke injector oil and any new top end kit to help pay for all the health care costs associated with drunken snowmobilers riding their sleds across the White House lawn! Stay on the trail people!!!

(Above was copied from another site, I thought it was funny)

sr22ger

Sent an email to my pathetic excuse for a rep, Mr "Guns in Elementary Schools" Lasee. His assistant stated that the bill passed on to committee by a voice vote, so it would really be impossible to state which way each rep voted. She wouldn't state Mr Lasee's stance on the topic either, pretty frustrating. You would think that if he opposed the bill she would have gladly stated so in her responses to me.

I'm curious about the already illegal to ride off trail topic some people mentioned, and I will have to research that a bit. I know it is illegal to run four wheelers and dirt bikes in a county forest near my home, but I don't know if that was specific to those vehicles/area or not.

440_chazz

Senator Grothman wrote me back, WOW he really does care about his constituents.

Charles,

Thanks for the e-mail. I apologize for the long day in responding. As you are probably aware this bill already made it its way through the State Senate. As I recently attended the Fond du lac County Snowmobile Associations meeting I have learned exactly what you are saying in that this is a well intentioned bill that will possible have some negative consequences. I do believe this bill still has to make its way through the State Assembly. If there is any hope of making any changes they would have to be made during that time. I appreciate you contacting me on this matter. Please contact me in the future with any other issues of interest to you.

-Glenn

440_chazz, your Senator Grothman, as did my Senator Holperin, showed concern. But they both voted "yes" to the bill! As so often in the past, I'm just hoping the next step of politicians has a better grasp of things and kills the bill! I kind of doubt it happening this time though. I just think we have enough laws!

ubee

Trees for Tomorrow fed Holperin for 20 yrs,not to hard to figure who he represents.I hope all the business owners in his district remember him at the polls!
your_image.gif

ubee

Its real nice that I have to register my atv and stay on the marked trails when there are no ATV trails in Vilas County that are within 20 miles of Boulder Junction! This law should not have lumped snowmobiles with atvs,dirt bikes and other offroad vehicles all together as snowmobiles leave little imprint and has a track and not tires. I have seen horse trails that leave big ruts and tree damage!

20 years ago there were many counties in Wis. that had no place for ATV's to ride but still had to register. Fortunately, that has changed and there are now many counties WITH trails. Getting back to 264, has anyone figured out after reading the amendments, if snowmobiles and ATV's were excluded in the bill?