Wis. Senate Bill 264

I just read about this Wisconsin Bill 264 soon to be passed making it a crime to go off trail while snowmobiling or ATVing on public land. Thinking about the different reasons to go off trail on public land, I don't like this. What do you all think about this, and how can we possibly stop it?

jimjones

Scary..imagine all the prisons filled with those evil, non-conforming, polluting snowmobilers. If they just would have seen the movie, An Inconveniant Truth.. So sad.

crispyknite

There is a lot of pubic land that you can ride in north west wisconsin thats are fire lanes. Whats the reason for this Bill? I think its dumb, A lot more people are buying long tracks or going long too. If they do this its going to hurt. people will not go to wis to spend money. they did it once with the trail pass going to $35. I dont understand all this. Wis is a graet place to ride. I hope they dont follow mn with all they dumb laws.

blutooth

This is an issue to not take lightly. This is PUBLIC land that we have just as much right to use as other people.

This issue is happening on a national level out west: http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/Action_Alerts/09/SAWS_Action_Alert_-_NREPA_in troduced_in_111th_Congress.htm

It is very scary that it is coming to Wisconsin too. I hope everyone takes a minute to contact their State Senator and let them know they are opposed to this proposed bill:
http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Read the bill here: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-264.pdf

rakin800-
Don't worry the next thing to go will be the trail system.

You can also join a local club which I'm sure is also fighting this.

Blutooth

rakins800

follow the money.snowmobiles will be ridden,it will just cost more money.when/if the trails are gone people will ride out west. every time something closes or changes,some place else sees dollar signs. if one cant afford to go snowmobiling,do something else. beer and smokes cost alot too,but there will always be smokers and drunks,no matter what it costs.

sabercat

You can thank the dirtbags that left the trail and ran over those deer. They got away with it through a legal letdown, so if we get more laws on the books that won't happen next time.

ps: Wisconsin doesn't have enough snow to go offtrail anyways.

ezra

welcome to more nanny state BS. The way I see it is if is fed or state land that me my parents and my grandparents ect ect payed for. if bust me on a fire road or open swamp I will pay to take it as far as the court's will alow.and as far as riding out west dream on thay are closing 1000's of MI a year out west whole mountian ranges are closing. cutting numbers to yellowstone ect.the olny thing you can do is give the phone numbers yor your state and fed rep's to every one you know. ask them to call and call again untill you get more than a mass email back thanking you for your concern.for fed bills us senator switch board #202 224 3121. for MN Al's #202 224 5641( I call him alot never a response}amy 202 224 3121. house rep MN bachman 202 225 2331 {actualy called me back] ellison 202 225 4755 deff ears. MN house of reps switch board 651 296 2146.just calling your reps and letting them know your concern weather you know of a bill or not is better than sitting on your hands. thay cant read your mind and know what you are concerned about unless you call.sorry I dont have any nombers but MN reps stored in my phone go on line and look them up and call or you have no right to complane when thay stick it to you.

blutooth: Thanks for the Wis. gov. contac web site. I used it.

And I hope we all will be able to continue using our machines to ice fish, trap, make firewood, etc. AND boondock!

I just wrote my reps.... Talk about miss guided legis. if this is truly caused by the sledding deer killers. I am sick of this nanny state.

whitedust

Think of it this way. Can you ride your sled from home,motel, hotel the Holiday Inn to access the public trail or the cops going to bust you for being off the public trail??? This bill is a can of worms & could cause you to trailer to the trail head to be in compliance.....not practical application at all. All sled haters would constantly be on the phone to the cops phoning in registration #s of sleds spotted that are not on the public trail. Bad news for all of us.

t660redrocket

Sounds like you just care about yourself Rakins. Way to be part of the community! Have fun riding circles around your house some day!

whitedust

You are missing the point if you think it is about trail fees. 264 eliminates your ability to leave the public trail for any reason. Lodging, food, gas, repairs & of course off trail boondocking. This is a BAD Bill for the the State of WI.

yamalaris

I am so sick of the liberal’s constant barrage limiting citizen rights to access and use of OUR public land. Politicians wouldn't even consider a measure like this if we could demonstrate numbers large enough to sway an election.

Remember this crap on Election Day and vote every last incumbent politician out of office send the message that we the people are fed up and will no longer tolerate the status-quo.

kevisip

Right on Yamalaris. People are getting fed up.
Enough is a enough. These people ALWAYS want to change the laws, until it affects them.

scottd

I skimmed the 12 page bill perhaps too quickly but all I saw was trying to approve money to "create and maintain" non-motorized trails for exercise and "commuting" purposes. I did not see anything about making snowmobiles riding off-trail illegal. I guess it would be obvious motorized vehicles ON these trails would be illegal. In general the thought of taking public land away does scare the crap out of me and does not make sense to me. Go find some of the most travelled power lines by snowmobiles in the month of August and you probably cannot tell one has ever even been there other than the trail/road people use in the summer.

scottd, go to Chain Reaction Cyclery: Senate Bill 265 , go to bottom of article, and click on where it explains 264. Very short and to the point. Cyclists are very much for this bill for some reason.