Above the Law...LOL

euphoric1

Show of Hands! I have never done something stupid on a snowmobile....Crickets

Yup, me included. But I don't Drink & Ride, never. Plenty of time at the end of the day to catch up.

As for the LEO's in this story, they were in the wrong, they got caught and they'll pay the price. I've never had my mug shot on the evening news but that would be punishment enough. These guys now have to face their peers and supervisors, not a pleasant first day back on the job I would think.

We all make mistakes. Hopefully these guys have learned from theirs and are better citizens going forward.
I agree with you Gary completely and it's a good thing they were caught, but.... would we feel the same if someone had gotten hurt or killed as a result of their or anyone's mistake? I'm sure everyone knows my stance on drinking while sledding and I'm sure many disagree with me, I don't see a need for it, I have no desire to do it, never have and yes " hopefully these guys have learned from theirs and are better citizens going forward " my question is it still a mistake if it had been found they were drunk as a result of an accident that involved injury or death? I have very strong feelings of operating anything while intoxicated and yes hopefully they have learned their lesson and aren't repeat offenders as we know so many are, and bad things end up happening someone besides their own expense.

wfd123

OWI in WI is not a “crime” for first offense whether in a car or on a snowmobile, as far as i know. Why they are calling this a misdemeanor is confusing because it’s a civil forfeiture. Refusal to take a breath test is a separate offense.
They were off duty and on their own time. In my opinion, they will suffer the consequences but should not relate to their jobs.
Seems like firefighters and LIO are always held to a higher standard. Why? It’s a job. Off duty is there time.

pclark

Perhaps we should also think that maybe these two LEO's have done more good in their lives than bad? I'm sure that they have helped many people and perhaps even saved peoples lives to date. I sure wouldn't want their jobs nowadays, again not condoning their behavior, but they are human, and we all make mistakes.

indy_500

I agree with you Gary completely and it's a good thing they were caught, but.... would we feel the same if someone had gotten hurt or killed as a result of their or anyone's mistake? I'm sure everyone knows my stance on drinking while sledding and I'm sure many disagree with me, I don't see a need for it, I have no desire to do it, never have and yes " hopefully these guys have learned from theirs and are better citizens going forward " my question is it still a mistake if it had been found they were drunk as a result of an accident that involved injury or death? I have very strong feelings of operating anything while intoxicated and yes hopefully they have learned their lesson and aren't repeat offenders as we know so many are, and bad things end up happening someone besides their own expense.
The same can be said for the tens of thousands of people who flock to the north woods every winter and do the same thing though. Do you walk into an establishment for dinner up there and cuss out every snowmobiler with a beer in their hand? Doubt it…

The point is, just because of their job title, these guys shouldn’t be treated different. Hope to he11 they learn from this mistake, and move forward.

euphoric1

The same can be said for the tens of thousands of people who flock to the north woods every winter and do the same thing though. Do you walk into an establishment for dinner up there and cuss out every snowmobiler with a beer in their hand? Doubt it…

The point is, just because of their job title, these guys shouldn’t be treated different. Hope to he11 they learn from this mistake, and move forward.
indy_500, why in the world would I walk into a bar and cuss out every snowmobiler with a beer in their hand?? did I say that? no. I will tell you however that I have been in plenty of bars along the trail where there are obnoxiously drunk and yes... "SNOWMOBILERS" do I yell at them? really? I do however think to myself "what a stupid f'r" and think about all of us on the trail that will eventually be sharing the trail with them. you're right indy I don't cuss them out, and I think the same if I am at a bar when not snowmobiling, I'm just glad I'm smart enough to not get stupidly drunk and behind the wheel or the handle bars of a snowmobile. Just this year and I wont share names or locations but went for dinner with a friend in the northwoods and there was a table of riders there and one of them was so stupidly and obnoxiously drunk that if I had been a patron sitting next to him I would have asked him or his group to ask him to shut the f up, or if I had been the server...asked him to leave and we were sitting clear across the dining room. Now did he have someone come pick him up? did his buddies say "hey maybe you shouldn't be driving your sled?" from the looks when they got up, put their gear on and headed out the door....i doubt it and again I thought "stupid f'r"and thought of the people who were going to be sharing the trail with them. I have a family member who too says " I made a mistake".... TWICE!! and im sure he was pulled over twice as a result of his stellar driving habits. All I am saying is if this is their first run in with OWI or DWI fine... it was a mistake but.... very POOR decision making was done by both of them regardless. and just because they are law enforcement doesn't mean they should be treated ANY DIFFERENT than joe blow who thinks its ok to drive while intoxicated. especially when almost twice the legal limit, the one who did the breathalyzer. People want to drink while riding? go right ahead! but use your head! and put everyone elses safety above your own when you do have that beer in your hand. Is that too much to ask? I dont think so.

Braaaaaap

I hear so many conflicting stories. Does this OWI on a sled count on your driving record. Lose your license to drive a car for X amount of months? Increased insurance? all the penalties you would get if it was an auto?

Wisconsin does not penalize a driver's license for snowmobile DUIs (as it should be, since they are not operated on public roadways and do not require a license to drive). MI and MN do penalize a driver's license for DUI on sleds, boats, ATVs.

SHOOT2KILL

Seems like firefighters and LIO are always held to a higher standard. Why? It’s a job. Off duty is there time.
Heres the first paragraph in the Police/Firefighters CODE OF ETHICS that they swear to when hired...
Always conduct myself, on and off duty, in a manner that reflects positively on myself, my department and the fire/police service in general. Accept responsibility for my actions and for the consequences of my actions. Support the concept of fairness and the value of diverse thoughts and opinions.

ddhanna

Heres the first paragraph in the Police/Firefighters CODE OF ETHICS that they swear to when hired...
Always conduct myself, on and off duty, in a manner that reflects positively on myself, my department and the fire/police service in general. Accept responsibility for my actions and for the consequences of my actions. Support the concept of fairness and the value of diverse thoughts and opinions.
So should they lose their job for a speeding ticket? Remember in Wisconsin, first DUI is not a crime.

goofy600

Again all it says is accept responsibility for your actions nowhere does it say they have to be perfect at every moment in their life. Hopefully they can get past this and learn from this. And one thing I can say is I’ve never met a perfect person but hopefully some day a long time from now I do.

SHOOT2KILL

So should they lose their job for a speeding ticket? Remember in Wisconsin, first DUI is not a crime.
I could care less what happens to them...I only started the thread to sit back and watch the shytstorm ensue...Thanks for the free entertainment......Carry On...

rph130

Props to the Vilas Co LEO having the nads to arrest these two clowns.

A DUI shouldn't be the end of the world for these criminals, but it should certainly end their careers as LEO's. If you steal money as a CPA you won't be a CPA anymore. Lie under oath and you won't be an attorney anymore. Cut off the wrong leg of a diabetic and you probably won't be a surgeon anymore. Getting a DUI as an LEO should likewise be the end of the road for that career.
Must be nice to be as perfect as you. If these two were plumbers or electricians would anybody give a crap? Would it make the news and have every sanctimonious do-gooder condemning them? They were NOT on duty. Cops have personal lives and yes, they make mistakes. I get it that cops are held to a higher standard then Joe Shit the rag man and what they did was wrong, but to go for their throats and want them fired is absurd. Glad I didn't work for you early in my career when I wore a badge and made mistakes and I'm sure the guys who worked for me late in my career are glad I used common sense and understanding of life experiences when I handed down disciplinary actions.

ICT Sledder

ICT, so your saying if a CPA gets a OWI he should loose his job if a n attorney gets an OWI they should loose there job and I’d a doctor gets an OWI they should never practice again? Or if you get an OWI when you are on vacation you should loose you job. People are not perfect they make mistakes, they weren’t on the job or carrying a weapon yes they know better and do better being their chosen profession. There should be consequences but their mistakes by no means should be worse then any others unless it is in there contract that they can never get in trouble.

I said none of those things, like literally.

ICT Sledder

Must be nice to be as perfect as you. If these two were plumbers or electricians would anybody give a crap? Would it make the news and have every sanctimonious do-gooder condemning them? They were NOT on duty. Cops have personal lives and yes, they make mistakes. I get it that cops are held to a higher standard then Joe Shit the rag man and what they did was wrong, but to go for their throats and want them fired is absurd. Glad I didn't work for you early in my career when I wore a badge and made mistakes and I'm sure the guys who worked for me late in my career are glad I used common sense and understanding of life experiences when I handed down disciplinary actions.
You're familiar with Brady-Giglio then? How an officer who is convicted of a DUI is likely now arguably useless to enforce or testify in cases involving same?

chunk06

Who would ever want to become a Police officer if you can't make a few mistakes off the job? We should be concentrating and punishing them for their misconduct on the job that some of them get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. It sounds like these guys tried to show the arresting officer the fact that they were LE's IMO they should also get a fine for that. Losing their job though would be a no IMO

SHOOT2KILL

You're familiar with Brady-Giglio then? How an officer who is convicted of a DUI is likely now arguably useless to enforce or testify in cases involving same?
I wondered if someone was going to bring that up...I'll take it one step further...A GOOD criminal defense attorney might use these officers arrests to get former OWI convictions they were involved in while on duty in their jurisdiction expunged...A whole new can of worms for the local county prosecutors to review...