Almost 50 Snowmobile Citations Given During Derby Weekend

miaferominka

Almost 50 Snowmobile Citations Given During Derby Weekend

EAGLE RIVER - Authorities issued nearly 50 citations during the World Championship Snowmobile Derby last weekend in Eagle River.

A snowmobile enforcement team and wardens issued 46 citations and 161 warnings, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

A DNR snowmobile safety administrator says the infractions ranged from registration violations to exceeding the night time speed limit of 55 miles per hour.

Six people were arrested for operating while intoxicated, two of them after fleeing.

Last edited:

09m8

I was on the celebrity/fundraiser ride on Friday. Had 60+ sleds in the group (first and last time I'll do that), but anyway, on the trail came to a "checkpoint" of three wardens and they stopped the whole group and checked us all. Think there was 2 registration violations out of the 60+, but it took better part of 20-30 minutes for the stop...

reaper969x

That must be record time. Shoot they took 30 mins to check our reg and issue two warnings, and there were only two of us.

coldsmokejr

Thats perfect....Come to Eagle River for derby, and be guaranteed to get harrassed by the law, is this a good message? Are they trying to kill snowmobiling in the northwoods?! Does this bother anybody else?

mikes99ss

I had a sheriff pull up along side of me at a stop sign and say "you got to stop ya know" My only thought was, if i didn't stop then how are you talking to me?

P.S. I was still at the stop sign when he was yelling

Last edited:

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't bother me one bit. Checking for proper registration, they are just doing their job. Running radar at night to make sure everyone is obeying the night time 55 mph law, just doing their job. Doing a registration check, and finding someone who is over the legal limit while riding, great, keep up the good work. I woudn't call it "harrassment" at all.

u can avoid all of it easy dont go their that weekend

Or, heres a novel idea: Have legal registration/trail stickers, STOP at stop signs, don't be drunk when you ride and then when the cops keep you for 30 minutes unwarranted maybe you can yell harrassment. SHEESH!

micelist

Gotta agree with Skyler and caged. How would it look if a bunch of drunks and idiots making headlines after being stupid.. It seems it is ard enough to get easments and such without a bunch of idiots messing things up. If they let up you got every drunk wanting to be Joe Racer on the trail and killing someone. Just like sat nights after a short track race in the summer. Wanna be racers!!!!!

cdsprague

u can avoid all of it easy dont go their that weekend

I second that!

Plus, nothing wrong with upholding the law. I'm sure during prior years there has been a lot of drunk driving going on. That is one way to stop it. I wouldn't complain about getting drunks off the trails!

coldsmokejr

I'm certainly NOT saying its ok to break the law, we (my family) stop at signs, DONT drink and ride, and very seldom ride at night, what I'm simply saying is its bad advertisement for the northwoods that this "crackdown" has to happen during derby. I am definitly NOT knocking law enforcement for doing their job, I know and ride with a few officers that do snowmobile patrol. I've groomed trails in this area Micelist, and have had a few close calls with "joe racer". My other point is to pull somebody over when they're doing something wrong, not an entire group of 60+ sleds and check them all!! I guess what bothers me most is the whole "checkpoint" thing. Sorry for the rant or to those who were offended.

Last edited:

whitedust

All those sleds in ER for Derby you got to have some enforcement. Me I stay away don't need that bumper to bumper slow poke traffic jam, demo rides, special rides, just a whole lot of stuff going on in the same space. Enforcement dragnet out no doubt & always will during Derby week.

ezra

I bet they will have to buy a new case of pens for the St Germain drag racing this weekend.I know of 2 guys not heading up because they know the tix pad will be out

kb97z

commies

If your sticker is valid and your not doing anything unlawfull there is no way they should be able to stop you. Thanks for the heads up about St. Germain. 30 minute stop...grrr...I want to ride like a FREE AMERICAN.

09m8

My two issues with getting stopped was the size of the group and the location of said checkpoint. This was out in the middle of the woods, NOT an open area. I felt it was a WAY bigger safety issue with stopping that amount of sleds, on one of the most busy weekends of the year, right on the trail system. How about pick out a field, stop sign, parking lot/area? Instead they were parked at a 90 degree corner, three sleds/officers, stopping anything and everything. I too am with Coldsmoke and others agreeing the need for enforcement, but there is surely a time, place and a way of doing it without making you feel harrased and actually endangering the group and other riders...its a wonder why I do mostly offtrail riding!!!

koony

I agree that it's borderline unconstitutional they have to do this. It's no different than having a checkpoint on the lake in the summer or on the road out of town on a holiday weekend. It's invasive and disrespectful to the 95% of people that do things the right way. It's a sign of the times and the police state we all live in. We give them a badge and presumedly they have more rights than the citizens (taxpayers) they are hired to protect. We should be able to just keep on riding, driving, or walking by an officer if we aren't in violation of the law. If I am in violation then make a stop and issue a citation or make an arrest. What ever happened to innocent till proven guilty. The badges don't give the people the benefit of the doubt anymore. Call me a nonconformist.

That's some first post eh? Good to be here.

Last edited:
Its a bunch of B.S. that officers or wardens can stop you even if all of your stickers are clearly visible. They should only stop you if they witness you violating speed, stop signs or no visible stickers

laketom2

Its a bunch of B.S. that officers or wardens can stop you even if all of your stickers are clearly visible. They should only stop you if they witness you violating speed, stop signs or no visible stickers

I agree, do your job if you see a bad apple but if your doing things right, they should wave you on.