Almost 50 Snowmobile Citations Given During Derby Weekend

Banks93

I agree that it's borderline unconstitutional they have to do this. It's no different than having a checkpoint on the lake in the summer or on the road out of town on a holiday weekend. It's invasive and disrespectful to the 95% of people that do things the right way. It's a sign of the times and the police state we all live in. We give them a badge and presumedly they have more rights than the citizens (taxpayers) they are hired to protect. We should be able to just keep on riding, driving, or walking by an officer if we aren't in violation of the law. If I am in violation then make a stop and issue a citation or make an arrest. What ever happened to innocent till proven guilty. The badges don't give the people the benefit of the doubt anymore. Call me a nonconformist.

That's some first post eh? Good to be here.

100% correct. Half the law enforcement I know were the biggest offenders in high school. Braveheart quote, "FREEEEEEEEEEDOM."

MR.HAPPY

Whats up Skylar, What I'm saying is, if everyone had to show proof of insurance & registration before they were given their trail sticker, the law & everyone else would know they were legal & not need to be stopped or ambushed like in the Eagle River case!

No reg. or insurance, No trail sticker available until you prove you have these things & then you're legal to ride!!!

THINK SNOW!!!

Skididit

Let me have a wack at it...

Have your Checkpoint, Slow traffic down and look for current regristration stickers. If I have regristration stickers on and their current let me thru. If not current, or I do not have them stop me and ask for regristration. If I do not have current regristration give me a ticket, if you smell alcohol on my breath when you stop me to check for current regristration, give me a breath-a-lizer, if I'm over the legal limit then arrest me. When I am speeding down the trail at night over 55 mph and you are shooting radar pull me over and give me a ticket, if you smell alcohol when you stop me, give a breath-a-lizer and arrest me if I'm over the legal limit. If I fail to stop at a stop sign pull me over and give me a ticket...do not Stop me if I have done nothing wrong!!!

onesnowman

Enforcement and Why!

Well- Well- Well Just a quick note After 26 years of scrapping want-to -be racers off of trees ,cars,backs of trucks, and out of ditchs. I've learned that there will always be FAST FOOLS out there. Several of you think we are over governed and well you maybe right. We used to be able to take a few beers in your boats, pack a few beers in our saddle bags and never have a problem. But then came the age of the FAST FOOLS who have a few then a few more. We attended the race last week in Eagle River and seen guys and girls WA WA WASTED by noon. Most of them (the wasted one's) not even watching the races. So it wasn't the race that got them DRUNK. They would have been that way even if there wasn't a sled on the track. My point, we are being over governed because of a few who can't govern themselves. How's this. If your not part of the solution,YOU ARE THE PROBLEM! Happy Trails!

Banks93

You don't think it has been like that since the start of the United States. **** they use to shoot people in the middle of the streets in the old west. Point being I don't need the government to protect me or my family with a police state. I don't want or need a baby sitter.

Big government, healthcare, tickets, fines, fees and other things are way out of control in the US. The government and police force needs to be smaller so we can balance our budget. Why don't you blame the Eagle River event people for serving the wasted people. Isn't there already a law about that but no we need to make more laws and checkpoints costing more money. Just follow the ones on the book already and we would be okay. There are always risks people take when doing anything.

I don't want to be a bubble boy.

MR.HAPPY

The real bad part of this is, the DNR & Local police only are doing this for the money to keep their jobs! They (most) don't care one minute about you or me! They have too many officers in most areas & need the money to keep their jobs!

The ambushes are wrong, no matter what they tell us they're doing!

God Bless & Everyone Be Safe!!

Banks93

The real bad part of this is, the DNR & Local police only are doing this for the money to keep their jobs! They (most) don't care one minute about you or me! They have too many officers in most areas & need the money to keep their jobs!

The ambushes are wrong, no matter what they tell us they're doing!

God Bless & Everyone Be Safe!!

I agree if they cared we would have deer.

jroz

Skylar, when I was taking my snowmobile safety classes in 1980, that was how group riding was done. The leader would dismount his sled and wave everyone through, as long as there were no cars/trucks coming. I don't know what is taught in classes today, but when riding in groups of 10 or more riders, this is a good way to keep things moving. As far as why my group didn't stop, they turned around but I waved them on. Why give the DNR anymore fine money if you dont have to? We weren't breaking any laws or doing anything illegal, but if you don't have to deal with them at all, that is always the better option.

T

Team Elkhorn

x2^ Thats what we did with large groups when i was a kid in the 70s.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
skylar, when i was taking my snowmobile safety classes in 1980, that was how group riding was done. The leader would dismount his sled and wave everyone through, as long as there were no cars/trucks coming. I don't know what is taught in classes today, but when riding in groups of 10 or more riders, this is a good way to keep things moving. As far as why my group didn't stop, they turned around but i waved them on. Why give the dnr anymore fine money if you dont have to? We weren't breaking any laws or doing anything illegal, but if you don't have to deal with them at all, that is always the better option.

10-4

ezra

x2^ Thats what we did with large groups when i was a kid in the 70s.

X3 that was the norm in the 70's[biggest prob was getting the cleated track moving again on the tar instead of just spinning] and still in the books in the early 90's training books that was the last time I went over a book but 1 guy parked in the road waving a group on is prob more safe than 1 sled at a time you know in that situation some one will just follow the guy in fr of him.1 guy watching for traffic parked clearly in the road watching for the pack verry safe.now on a blind corner or hill top diff story

fredster

I currently teach snowmobile safety in MI and there is no discussion or suggestion, formal or otherwise from the MI DNR or the training materials about waving everyone through an intersection. Stop means stop.

I can see why this was an issue with cleated tracks, I had a JD with cleats and carbides and if you didn't get some momentum before you hit asphalt or concrete there was a good chance you weren't going anywhere. Not so much a problem nowadays.....

polarisrider1

I currently teach snowmobile safety in MI and there is no discussion or suggestion, formal or otherwise from the MI DNR or the training materials about waving everyone through an intersection. Stop means stop.

I can see why this was an issue with cleated tracks, I had a JD with cleats and carbides and if you didn't get some momentum before you hit asphalt or concrete there was a good chance you weren't going anywhere. Not so much a problem nowadays.....

Not to side track you fredster. Do you do the snowmobile safety classes at Byron Center?

wiboo

You guys are a hoot (the ones having the problem with being stopped). Only way to stop a drunk sledder is if he does not have current reg, speeding or failure to stop at stop sign. What about the drunk who does have current reg, is not speeding and stops at all stop signs but after getting out of town guns it loses control in front of you and hits you and kills your friend or family member behind you??? You still don't have the answer on how to stop a drunk or high driver that is obeying all the laws.?????

MR.HAPPY

I still do the stop at all crossing & wave my family thru!

The only thing everyone is missing is they do stop too!

They don't just blow through!

SAFETY FIRST!

jpsted

Thats perfect....Come to Eagle River for derby, and be guaranteed to get harrassed by the law, is this a good message? Are they trying to kill snowmobiling in the northwoods?! Does this bother anybody else?

Nope, doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, sounds like they were more than fair, issued nearly 4 times as many warnings as they did citations. Love to see those that should rightfully be busted, get busted...especially for drinking and driving.

Unfortunately this is one of the few ways to try and clean the sport up of all the drinking and riding.

jpsted

I'm certainly NOT saying its ok to break the law, we (my family) stop at signs, DONT drink and ride, and very seldom ride at night, what I'm simply saying is its bad advertisement for the northwoods that this "crackdown" has to happen during derby. I am definitly NOT knocking law enforcement for doing their job, I know and ride with a few officers that do snowmobile patrol. I've groomed trails in this area Micelist, and have had a few close calls with "joe racer". My other point is to pull somebody over when they're doing something wrong, not an entire group of 60+ sleds and check them all!! I guess what bothers me most is the whole "checkpoint" thing. Sorry for the rant or to those who were offended.

It's only bad advertisement if you like to break the law.

coldsmokejr

Good points JPsted, I did not know about the warning/ticket ratio...good point. I still do not like the checkpoint idea, like others have said, Its just not right to pull everybody over to weed out the few bad apples. A police officer isnt allowed to pull everybody over on the street and check them randomly for whatever, maybe this is just a precursor for whats to come?? This is what bothers me most, we slowly give up our rights til theres none left, I agree with all of you when you say "6 drunk drivers off the trail is a good thing" but at what cost, inconveniencing entire groups of legal and ethical snowmobilers?? I feel that me (or whoever) riding, following ALL the rules does NOT deserve to be pulled over! I guess, looking at all the responses, there isnt an easy solution, but in a few years when I'm sitting at home watching the news and John Law decides to walk into our homes and do a random nieghborhood sweep for anything illegal, I'll remember this post.

When riding with a group of Harleys, this is what we do. 20 or 30 bikes roll on through.

How about this scenario: There was once a drug bust in your neighborhood, now the police randomly search every home on the street once a week because there MIGHT be another drug dealer in the neighborhood. That would be OK right? Police can barge in whenever they want. Wheteher I'm doing anything wrong or not. Why not go over my tax records while your there. Got any trans fat foods? That's no good,have to haul you in. You smoke? Have you ever had anyone in your home who doesn't? That's a violation.
Slippery slope into a police state my friends. Where does it end?

So, you are saying that you enjoy the same expectation of privacy while out riding your Harley or your sled, as you do when secure in your own home? I think you need to read your law books again, if you ever have. Of course, the scenario you posted is ridiculous. Wouldn't you rather know that cops are on the trails, trying all they can to keep the riders safe? Same thing for even having the trails! How many landowners would pull the plug on their land being used for trails if they knew that it was a "lawless" trail system? A huge amount would.