Answering Questions

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have no problems with smiley faces, I use them myself! :)

I just think it is wrong when someone says something disrespectful and thinks they can get away with it with a smiley face. That to me is wrong and childish.

-John

MZEMS2

Alright everybody, fight nice! Happy just had a bad day when he posted that. He knows how to overlook the "useless" stuff we all like to toss into threads. Maybe the milk he poured on his cheerios was sour or something. Can't we all just get along??? LOL..... Oh yeah :p:D

Happy, we're just ribbin' ya. Suck it up and play along, it'll be alright

snoluver1

I have no problems with smiley faces, I use them myself! :)

I just think it is wrong when someone says something disrespectful and thinks they can get away with it with a smiley face. That to me is wrong and childish.

-John

I think the point of adding the smiley after a comment that could be considered disrespectful, is to show the intent was not disrespect, but more likely sarcastic humor. Everybody has a different sense of humor, and some people are more sensitive than others. The smiley is what designates your intent. I was born and raised on the east coast, and busting your friends chops is something that is bread into you from birth. Usually the nastier the comment, the more you truly respect the person. I have found people in the Midwest are MUCH more sensitive to this type of humor, and I make a conscious effort to tame it down a bit, but sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. Thats just the way we roll.:)

winter_time

I have to say i agree 100% with Happy101. The whole top poster thing is getting out of hand with people trying to have the most posts by answering with worthless answers its getting worse as time goes on.

polarisrider1

I have to say i agree 100% with Happy101. The whole top poster thing is getting out of hand with people trying to have the most posts by answering with worthless answers its getting worse as time goes on.

Don't toss me into this. I actually try to post useful information and you Joe know that. I warned Indy that life at the top will be rough! He can have it! lol. and smiley faces a plenty.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I think the point of adding the smiley after a comment that could be considered disrespectful, is to show the intent was not disrespect, but more likely sarcastic humor. Everybody has a different sense of humor, and some people are more sensitive than others. The smiley is what designates your intent. I was born and raised on the east coast, and busting your friends chops is something that is bread into you from birth. Usually the nastier the comment, the more you truly respect the person. I have found people in the Midwest are MUCH more sensitive to this type of humor, and I make a conscious effort to tame it down a bit, but sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. Thats just the way we roll.:)

I get that, but there are times when someone is just clearly being disrespectful and uses the smiley face as a cop out to say "I was just kidding, see the smiley face". Sort of like when we were kids and a little punk would say something disrespectful and when you went over to "straighten them out", they would cry like a 2 month old wanting their bottle, just to keep from getting pounded.

By the way, the whole top poster thing can be taken care of in one mouse click (not directed at you PR1), and boy it is tempting!:D

-John

snoluver1

The bottom line is, just like ANYTHING posted on the web, you have to have the mental capacity to sift out the bs. Its never gona change, and getting yourself worked up about it is pointless. Asking ten thousand members to think the same way you do is a fruitless endeavor!! Sure, mindless dribble can be annoying, but you have to learn how to ignore it, or you'll just drive yourself nuts.

cuzzinolaf

The bottom line is, just like ANYTHING posted on the web, you have to have the mental capacity to sift out the bs. Its never gona change, and getting yourself worked up about it is pointless. Asking ten thousand members to think the same way you do is a fruitless endeavor!! Sure, mindless dribble can be annoying, but you have to learn how to ignore it, or you'll just drive yourself nuts.

Please get back on topic. I am not happy.

I get that, but there are times when someone is just clearly being disrespectful and uses the smiley face as a cop out to say "I was just kidding, see the smiley face". Sort of like when we were kids and a little punk would say something disrespectful and when you went over to "straighten them out", they would cry like a 2 month old wanting their bottle, just to keep from getting pounded.

By the way, the whole top poster thing can be taken care of in one mouse click (not directed at you PR1), and boy it is tempting!:D

-John

X2...dump the top poster thing. I'm all in on this one!!!:)